Experiences With Martemodena

DevonReviewer

Re ebay and shipping they openly display the price of shipping so you can decide how much of a bargain the product is . If it's a problem don't bid simple . I must add that I bought 2 delta oversized journal pens Inc shipping for $96 fully boxed came the next day from Italy to the UK .

Just won a Pelikan M805, UK shipping was not available within the eBay listing. Messaged them and they said UK shipping will be around $15USD. Won the auction and requested an invoice, imagine my surprise when shipping was itemised at $69.90. Email sent and awaiting a response. Still a decent price if the seller won't budge, disappointing though particularly with the prior correspondence.

Turned out to be 20%EU VAT bundled with the shipping charge. Missed this in the finer listing detail, so no quite the bargain I thought it was. Still £30 cheaper than the best UK price I could find.

Edited by adyf

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FriendAmos

• Bill P

• welcmhm

• sketchstack

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you for this thread. I've communicated with them through eBay on their auctions and they usually respond very quickly. I didn't realize though that people were being billed for customs weeks afterwards. I suppose since their prices are pretty low that it's still worth it.

Has anyone had any experience purchasing one of the 2016 Pelikan M800 from them? If so I'd appreciate any thoughts on the transaction and how the pen came etc. Thank you.

The issues with Customs billing have nothing to do with Martemodena; they are neither responsible for such billing, nor can they say what the amounts should be and when billing can occur.

The culprit is DHL, which sometimes seems to find it more convenient to make a quick delivery and then later sort out the Customs fees.

• 3 weeks later...

I also learned that they maintain a black list...a list which will prevent you from bidding on their auctions or buying thru buy it now. How do you get on this list? well if there is an issue they PRESUME YOU are the problem so you are blocked...sometimes after resolution you are removed from the black list, sometimes you are not.

To be fair, I've done my share of eBay selling over the years (unrelated to fountain pens) and about 75% of transactions happen without a hitch. However there is a segment of eBay customers who quite simply put have no idea what they're doing, or don't honor the general agreement on how eBay works. It's a huge hassle dealing with these customers and I eventually learned that the smoothest way to deal with them is the cancel the auction and ban the user from bidding on my products. No harm, no foul --but I also don't want to deal with those particular customers ever again.

AND I've been on the other side of that. One of my favorite Japan-based sellers blacklisted me simply because I bought a Medium nib pen and meant to buy the Fine. I requested they cancel the auction and they did ...but they also banned me from buying from them in the future. At first I was a little offended or thought they were overreacting, but then I factored in my own aforementioned experience as a seller and understood their logic.

As it turns out in my case it was a mis-understanding within Martemodena...as soon as I inquired with them about why I couldn't bid on an item, I was removed from the blacklist...they said internal error at Martemodena

I totally understand the notion of having a blacklist....I sell on ebay and I think I have blocked 1 maybe 2 ebay members....

I subsequently purchased some Delta Pens from them, all have been very good transactions...From what I can see the best values are the Delta Fountain Pens, particularly those Deltas that are exclusive to MarteModena...they may have different trim material etc...but they are still very good pens, great writers, and a very good value.

My interactions have also been good with them, I do believe there is a language issue too, based on the inquiries I have made, and the responses which sometimes don't respond to the question.

It seems like they could really improve the customer experience though by offering a lower priced shipping service to go with the expedited DHL service....($24/pen to the US now )..I have purchased other FP's from Italy with full size gift boxes and it has run around $12-$13/pen and the other vendors will do combined shipping too....yes, it may take 10 days to get here, but I don't need gift boxes shipped to me from Italy to get here in 2 days...also they take the bottled ink out of the gift boxes that normally come with ink...they say it has something to do with customs or DHL...I have received many FP's with ink in the gift box from Italy in them and never had a problem...?

Of course you know the shipping price up front, and you know they don't ship the ink up front, so it is up to buyer to proceed or not, BUT a couple of changes at their end and it would make for a better experience and less expensive experience for the buyers (shipping cost and do combined shipping) , likely leading to more business.

I do recommend them ...particularly for the Delta exclusive Fountain Pens..

Last weekend I bought a Delta Dolcevita Media Oro with 14k broad nib from Martemodena.

They shipped on Monday and I received it on Wednesday. The fastest shipping I have received from Europe.

I inked it with Diamine Pumpkin. A lovely pen.

JP

I was looking at some of their auctions today, and they have raised the shipping to the USA to $30/pen

A few months ago it was $19/pen to the USA..

So they have gone from $19/pen to $24/pen to $30/pen...all for the same shipping service...DHL..

Wow! getting up there..

I was looking at some of their auctions today, and they have raised the shipping to the USA to $30/pen

So they have gone from $19/pen to $24/pen to $30/pen...all for the same shipping service...DHL..

Wow! getting up there..

I just looked @ their EBAY listings & found they have perhaps "lowered" their shipping? I saw pens listed with "free" US shipping to $5.90 & 12.90. I think they use the shipping costs on their auction site as variable whether the pen has a lower or higher minimum bid. I know in January 2016 when I purchased a pen from their site it had a listed shipping price of $29.90 BUT with an opening bid MUCH lower than the same pen with "free shipping."

I think they just vary between the pen's expectation of sale price. I surely knew the listed shipping price when I began bidding & was happy with the price I paid for total invoice. I was tempted just now because I like the "acid green" used in the "Vintage" pen & $5.90 shipping is less expensive than several US sellers. Thankfully I have read several posts about the pen recently & had not noticed it was a smaller (less than 5 inch) pen until reading the reviews.

I think you have to separate Buy It Now and the Auction Pens...

On the Buy it Now it looks like much less expensive shipping or free shipping.

On the Auction side it seems to range from $23 up to $30....and it does look as though the Pens that start with a higher opening bid have a lower shipping fee, as opposed to a the same Fountain pen starting with a low bid, and perhaps no reserve has the highest shipping fee.

So their shipping fee really has little correlation to the shipping cost for each item...

This is all based on a quick look.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Chris,

I know the folks at MarteModena quite well. I have purchased thousands of dollars worth of fountain pens and rollerball pens from them over the past few years. I highly recommend MarteModena, but I have a couple of caveats that I shall clarify in a minute that you need to know.

But to begin, you first need to understand is who at MarteModena you are dealing with. Second, you did not make clear exactly how you purchased your pen. Nevertheless, I seemed to me from your description that you purchased (or won by auction) the Nuova Galleria Fusion fountain pen via MarteModena.com's website. By this, I mean that you did not win your Delta pen on ebay. If you won your Delta pen on ebay, then you are dealing with Marco at MarteModena.com. If you won your pen on the MarteModena website, then you are dealing with Giulio. Marco speaks perfect English. Giulio is not quite as fluent at English. Both men are exceedingly polite and mannerly, so be certain that you treat them both with deference and respect. Italians are very sensitive to the manner in which you speak (and correspond) with them. Imagine, if you will, a culture in which respect, deference and politeness are of upmost importance. This is precisely what the Italian culture is all about, in case you did not already know that. Please forgive me if you already do. I mean no insult to you.

Assuming that you won the auction for the Delta pen directly through MarteModena.com's website, my recommendation is that you send a message to Giulio politely asking him to respond to your inquiries about the status of the pen that you won in auction. One more thing is to recognize that if you won the pen as part of MarteModena.com's website auctions, you are not obligated to purchase the pen as you would if it were an ebay auction. However, the same is true in reverse, which is why MarteModena has not responded to you to date. What I am telling you is that, if you won the pen for free, perhaps there was a glitch in MarteModena.com's website auction. If I stood in MarteModena's shoes, I would not be too happy about giving away a medium-priced pen for free. Wouldn't you feel the same if you stood in their shoes? I think that you would. Furthermore, no one operates their business for free.

What I am suggesting is for you to appreciate the Italians as you would yourself. They are an honorable and dignified people. They are also in the business of making a reasonable profit in business like the rest of us. They have families to feed and bills to pay. They are no different that you or me.

My business recommendation is as follows: I would first send a message to Giulio and explain to him that you won a pen in auction for free and would like to receive your pen. I would further state that you suspect that there was a glitch in their website system which caused you to win the pen auction for free. Without a doubt, the Delta Nuova Galleria Fusion fountain pen that you won was probably worth a few quid. Then, I would ask them to clarify what they would accept as the minimum amount in order for you to receive the pen. Then, see how Giulio responds to you. Your other alternative is to buy another pen at auction and use that as leverage to get your first pen for free.

Bottom line is that I suggest that you stand in their shoes and be a reasonable man. Yes, I will say it again -- be a reasonable and fair man. No one sells Delta pens for free, and no deserves to receive a pen that they didn't pay for, including you. I suggest that you consider their honor code and show respect for the Italian mentality. I think that if you do these things, you will find a happy medium between your wishes and their needs to earn a fair and honest lira (i.e. pound, dollar, etc...).

The above is my suggestions to you, and I am one who always strives to secure a great deal wherever I can and however I can, provide that I do not conduct myself in a crooked, greedy or pernicious manner. What I am suggesting to you is that finding a great deal and being respectful of others does not have to be at odds with one another.

Good luck. Best wishes.

Respectfully,

Stylo_dOr

Yes, it was quite astonishing ... someone believing that they had really won (in an auction) a pen for $0 and then to the internet to complain about not getting prompt responses regarding the delivery of their new freebie. First stopping to think might have been a better approach.

Yes, it was quite astonishing ... someone believing that they had really won (in an auction) a pen for $0 and then to the internet to complain about not getting prompt responses regarding the delivery of their new freebie. First stopping to think might have been a better approach.

Well said. Nothing is free these days, particularly in the world of fountain pens. Only fools (or the very generous) give away pens for free.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to add my two cents here!

I made a purchase from them via eBay on Sunday and the item was delivered to my doorstep today - Wednesday. Three business days to process the order and ship from Italy to Ohio in the US! I find that to be amazing service and now I feel like I need to find something else to buy from them to see if they can duplicate those results.

Edited by TheRealMikeDr

I'd like to add my two cents here!

I made a purchase from them via eBay on Sunday and the item was delivered to my doorstep today - Wednesday. Three business days to process the order and ship from Italy to Ohio in the US! I find that to be amazing service and now I feel like I need to find something else to buy from them to see if they can duplicate those results.

That's lucky. My last one took a few days to leave Modena, but after that it was only three days to the States. You must have caught them at a less busy time.

Well, I have generally had good luck with MarteModena on ebay, purchase and pay, ship next business, receive within 2 business days...BUT

I am currently waiting for an item that I purchased and paid for almost 3 weeks ago...no ship. Additionally they have offered and sold the same exact FP multiple times since I purchased. Of course I don't know if they shipped those customers, or if they too are waiting for a shipment and wondering why it hasn't shipped.

I have communicated with MarteModena several times, and although I get very polite replies...please be patient...any day...expecting on..so far nothing.

I always thought ebay had a policy that you were supposed to have an item available to ship if you were offering it for sale??? Maybe I am not remembering correctly I don't know.

So...??? I am sure it will ship eventually, but in the mean time...urg..

I have communicated with MarteModena several times, and although I get very polite replies...please be patient...any day...expecting on..so far nothing.

I always thought ebay had a policy that you were supposed to have an item available to ship if you were offering it for sale??? Maybe I am not remembering correctly I don't know.

Why don't you check first, or remember correctly. Then you'll be in a much better position with your public complaints.

You could also either accept their polite replies and wait, or, if you are that unhappy, ask for a refund.

Edited by FriendAmos

That's lucky. My last one took a few days to leave Modena, but after that it was only three days to the States. You must have caught them at a less busy time.

I would still consider that very good service!

I'm used to dealing with a company in Japan that uses Japanese Air Mail and it takes around 3 weeks to get a shipment. The fact that MarteModena can offer very good prices (they build the shipping cost into the price of the pen) and use DHL to get the package shipped that fast is pretty impressive to me.

First, that's a rude and unhelpful response. Whether Bill P. is intimately familiar with the ebay policy or not, buyers assume that a listed item is in stock unless notified in the listing that it is not. Second, ebay regulations suggest that to maintain status as a good seller, only in-stock items be listed, or if stock drops to zero, the "out-of-stock" feature be enabled. There is a fair amout of text covering this, including:

"Inventory issues and tips

Before posting a listing or completing a sale, make sure you have the item in stock. It's never good to run out of stock after a buyer has already committed to the purchase. If you can't complete a transaction because you are out of stock, it may impact your seller performance. Here are a few things you can do to avoid these situations"

Why shouldn't MarteModena conform to the same expectations as any other seller?

Why don't you check first, or remember correctly. Then you'll be in a much better position with your public complaints.

You could also either accept their polite replies and wait, or, if you are that unhappy, ask for a refund.

I would still consider that very good service!

I'm used to dealing with a company in Japan that uses Japanese Air Mail and it takes around 3 weeks to get a shipment. The fact that MarteModena can offer very good prices (they build the shipping cost into the price of the pen) and use DHL to get the package shipped that fast is pretty impressive to me.

sometimes is the other way around. Thay build the price of the pen into de shipping cost.

30 shipping and 11.46 the pen (for a pen way above 150 outside of ebay)

Edited by rafapa

First, that's a rude and unhelpful response. Whether Bill P. is intimately familiar with the ebay policy or not, buyers assume that a listed item is in stock unless notified in the listing that it is not. Second, ebay regulations suggest that to maintain status as a good seller, only in-stock items be listed, or if stock drops to zero, the "out-of-stock" feature be enabled. There is a fair amout of text covering this, including:

"Inventory issues and tips

Before posting a listing or completing a sale, make sure you have the item in stock. It's never good to run out of stock after a buyer has already committed to the purchase. If you can't complete a transaction because you are out of stock, it may impact your seller performance. Here are a few things you can do to avoid these situations"

Why shouldn't MarteModena conform to the same expectations as any other seller?

I though it quite helpful, but reasonable people can disagree on such things. As to your main question: a large retailer moving things rapidly may have some things in stock but then run out after orders have been placed; or they advertise on the assumption that their stock will be replenished as usual; or, given a large volume of merchandise, they might have thought they had the item in stock,, but; .... Shall I go on?

Also note the language: Ebay merely makes a suggestion; there is no actual requirement. I see no reason why anyone should not feel free to ignore mere suggestions.

There seem to be a few people here who simply wish to knock MarteModema, by complaining about every trivial hiccup that occurs in transactions. That's not a very good way to go about things.

Edited by FriendAmos

Wow! getting up there..

To Brazil the shipping is US$ 49.90!!!