Double/triple Lead Taps And Dies

turningneko

I'm gauging interest on running a group buy for triple lead taps and dies to be ordered from TAPCO. Attached is the current price quote I have for 12 sets and 6 sets, 9 sets would about halfway in between on price. At a minimum I want to order 13mm double or triples.

The prices may seem high if you've never looked at them, but I assure you these are good prices for these highly specialized taps and dies. If you can find a better price please make me aware of the company.

post-126440-0-55780000-1453633447.png

Edited by turningneko

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• turningneko

• Russianwolf

• Zinci

• Nanor

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was going to point to Mike redburn and Silverpenparts.com as a source, but it looks like he has stopped stocking them.

I'll keep and eye on this, I have a couple sets (12,13, and 14mm I think) but could be in for an 11mm or 10mm if there is interest.

Yep, I contacted Mike and he doesn't intend on carrying the taps and dies anymore. As of right now it looks like we will going forward with 11mm triples, 13mm triples, and 14mm doubles. We may not get to the 12 qty discounts on the 11 or 14 and if not we will decide at that time whether folks want to press at the 6qty discount or back out.

I'm slowly acquiring tools necessary to turn pens. I have an idea on what I am wanting to do. Could someone please share their expertise on these taps and dies and their uses. Are these specifically for cutting barrel threads or can these be used to cut threads for nib units?

I'm slowly acquiring tools necessary to turn pens. I have an idea on what I am wanting to do. Could someone please share their expertise on these taps and dies and their uses. Are these specifically for cutting barrel threads or can these be used to cut threads for nib units?

These 2 / 3 start taps and dies are being purchased for cutting cap and barrel threads. They enable caps to be conveniently screwed on and off with fewer turns, but they're a specialty item, expensive and not easy to source.

Complete sets of standard single start taps and dies are readily available and can be bought for less than the price of one of these taps or dies.

These single start threads can be used for cap threads and will be more suitable than multi-start for section to barrel threads.

Single and multi-start threads can also be cut on a metal lathe, without the use of taps or dies, but it's a slower and more difficult process to get right.

Nib units use none standard threads so specialty taps will also have to be purchased to install them:

Bock #5‐ 6.4x.6

Bock #6‐ 7.9 x.6

Jowo #5‐ 6.5 x.5

Jowo #6‐ 7.5 x.5

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on this. It looks like we have enough participants to start the buy. AT a minimum we will order 13mm triples, but the 14mm doubles and 11mm triples both have interest and should get to the 6qty price point. I expect once the buy gets officially going we will get to the 12qty price point, but can't promise anything.

Just an update on this. It looks like we have enough participants to start the buy. AT a minimum we will order 13mm triples, but the 14mm doubles and 11mm triples both have interest and should get to the 6qty price point. I expect once the buy gets officially going we will get to the 12qty price point, but can't promise anything.

Is this the buy going on over on IAP? if not they are doing a buy of the same items so you may want to combine your efforts.

I can see that it is the same buy.

I had forgotten that I asked Mike to hold an 11mm set for me, and I just need to pay for it.

Edited by Russianwolf

Zinci, we have managed to box 12mm in with 11mm and 13mm, but no interest in 12mm. I think it's due to the last GB was for 12mm and 14mm doubles, that received a LOT of attention.

• 2 months later...

If it is still open I am interested in a set of m14 x 3.

Phil Crutchfield

Kensington Valley Pens

This group buy was actually run over on the IAP forum. It is completed and the sets have been delivered. Keep your eye though, these group buys pop up every now and then.

Darrin McArthur

Timber Elegance ~ Handcrafted Writing Instruments

My Etsy Store

• 4 weeks later...

There is a new thread in Penturners UK about triple tap and die.
The price is... well, pushing me to make my own tap and die. Too much for me!

But if someone can afford it it is here: Here