The Great Filcao Sale Of 2016 Continues! Desiree Sale!

tryphon

About ten years ago FILCAO introduced a line of pens that used nibs made by Reform of Germany. These smooth nibs had a limited amount of flex and were very smooth. The Desiree was one of these pens: it was made by pen master Franco Grisolia in a transparent Italian resin, with white flecks. The resin gives this pen incredible depth. In the last year or so, I have seen several custom pens made by American craftsmen that resemble the Desiree! The best part, however, is the we are selling the last Desirees at an incredible price of only 85 dollars! A pen that has the clarity of a demonstrator, with the added beauty of the premium speckled Italian resin, for less than a hundred dollars! Get them while we still have some: they will never be made again!

The sale happens here: http://www.heritageandstyle.com/filcao.html

The Desiree was reviewed at the time when it was launched. Read the review here: http://www.newpentrace.net/penbase/Data_Returns/full_articleb3c1.html?id=500

http://s26.postimg.org/t92kdslax/des5.jpg

http://s26.postimg.org/fp30mhy6x/signature.jpg

In punta di penna.....

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tryphon

• ssgupta

• dms525

• BlueJ

The process is described at the linked page. Send the total, including shipping (see rates on linked page) via Paypal to Tryphon@comcast.net

At this time only the white speckled version is available at the sale price. The red speckled one is available at the normal price of $150.

The pen should be OK as an eyedropper, with the proper sealing agent.

In punta di penna.....

Does this pen ship with cartridges and/or a converter? If not, what commercially available converters are compatible? Also, are extra nib units in different widths still available, as described in the linked review?

Thanks,

BlueJ

Hi BlueJ!
These pens are sold as end of production pens, at a special price. As we state on the sales page, there are no boxes and other niceties. These pens are shipped with one long international cartridge (waterman long). These pens ara a tiny bit shorter than mos and you will have to look for a short converter. Some fit, some don't. I would think a Waterman converter should fit, but try before you buy. We only have these with the excellent Reform M nibs, which have a tiny bit of flex. They are great pens, made of a great looking Italian resin and at this price they are a steal.

In punta di penna.....

Hi, Giovanni.

My Filcao Desiree arrived today. It 's a nice-looking pen. However, there are some issues. Waterman cartridges and Waterman converters do not fit. The opening in the section is too narrow. The cartridge you included does fit. It clearly has a smaller diameter than that of Waterman cartridges. It also seems narrower than Pelikan cartridges.

So, I inserted the cartridge you included with the pen. Initially, flow was inconsistent. It was good, but then a big blob of ink came out. This pattern reoccured, but, after a short time, I could not get any ink to flow at all. I dipped the nib in water, and after a bit, I got some ink flowing through the nib. I will see if it continues.

Can you tell me what kind of cartridges really fit? You said the shipped cartridge is a Waterman long, but my genuine Waterman long cartridges are clearly different from the one that came with this pen.

Thanks.

David

David,

the cartridge that came with the pen is an international standard (long). The short international standard cartridges also fit. There should be no problems with the Pelikan cartridges. If there is a problem with ink flow, I will repair or replace the pen. Hopefully it was a passing problem in the new pen.

In punta di penna.....

David,

the cartridge that came with the pen is an international standard (long). The short international standard cartridges also fit. There should be no problems with the Pelikan cartridges. If there is a problem with ink flow, I will repair or replace the pen. Hopefully it was a passing problem in the new pen.

Hi, Giovanni.

Thanks for your reply.

The ink flow has definitely improved. As of now, there is hesitancy after the pen has rested for 15 minutes or more. It's a bit of a bother but not too bad. I will visit a local shop and see if I can find cartridges that fit. From what you say, it shouldn't be so hard.

Thanks for your offer. For now, I would like to see what the pen does for a couple days. I will send it back if problems persist.

Regards,

David

Hi, Giovanni.

Thanks for your reply.

The ink flow has definitely improved. As of now, there is hesitancy after the pen has rested for 15 minutes or more. It's a bit of a bother but not too bad. I will visit a local shop and see if I can find cartridges that fit. From what you say, it shouldn't be so hard.

Thanks for your offer. For now, I would like to see what the pen does for a couple days. I will send it back if problems persist.

Regards,

David

Thanks for letting me know. You may also try a different ink. If you have any problems with the pen, please let me know.

In punta di penna.....

Thanks for letting me know. You may also try a different ink. If you have any problems with the pen, please let me know.

Yesterday evening, I rinsed out the cartridge you provided and refilled it with Aurora Black ink using a syringe. It is now writing very well with no hesitancy at all, even after an overnight rest. I don't know, of course, what "fixed" it - maybe a different ink, maybe the rinsing itself. In any case, I am much happier with this pen now.

Now to find some additional cartridges and maybe even a converter that works with it.

Thanks for your support.

David

I am very happy to hear that! The ink in the cartridge was as old as the pen (10 years or so), which would explain the fact that it behaved less than ideally. I am really glad the pen is working as it should! Thanks!

In addition, many feeds need at least 12 hours to properly imbibe themselves with ink. Even plastic feeds, if they have been treated with a corona surface flash.

Edited by tryphon

In punta di penna.....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Giovanni,

I am having the ink flow issues as well. I am using it as eyedropper, and have not tried the cartridge, since I read the comments above about the age of the cartridge - I was not planning to use cartridge anyway.

This morning I flushed the nib and feed and fitted it back in, but the flow issues remain. Can you please suggest what else can I try?

If there are other nibs and feeds that I can try, what are the brands and sizes that will fit this? Will it take a bock nib unit (and what size too)?

Thanks,

Shashin

Hi Shashin,

you can try slightly widening the gap between the tines, as described here:

http://www.newpentrace.net/articleGA04.html

It should work! The nibs in the Iris are by Reform, I would not try to fit a Bock nib.

If the flow issue still occurs, you can send me the pen for repair under warranty.

Thanks,

Giovanni

In punta di penna.....

Just picked mine up from the post office this afternoon, and it's a really nice writer - no flow problems here! The Reform nib has a lovely feel too, and the resin has a depth the photos don't capture. Plus Giovanni has been a gentleman to deal with - many thanks!

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Hi Shashin,

you can try slightly widening the gap between the tines, as described here:

http://www.newpentrace.net/articleGA04.html

It should work! The nibs in the Iris are by Reform, I would not try to fit a Bock nib.

If the flow issue still occurs, you can send me the pen for repair under warranty.

Thanks,

Giovanni

Thank you!

I would change the ink tomorrow morning and try again before I try to work on the tines. Will let you know how that goes.

BBS, thanks for the kind words! SSGUPTA, let me know how it works out: we stand behind our products.

Hello again,

The change of ink seems to have done the magic. I was using Diamine Shimmertastic Forest Green earlier - the pen looked beautiful with the shimmering ink through translucent white. I replaced it with Private Reserve Ebony Brown and after lying flat for few hours the feed is saturated enough to start after an overnight lay down.

I will try a shimmering or a more colorful ink again soon. If nothing else, it will help us know which inks are friendly for Reform nibs and feeds.

Thanks!