Terra Firma - Franklin-Christoph

visvamitra

lease,allow me to start by saying thank you mmg112 for sending me samples of all new Franklin-Christoph's writing fluids (and much more!). I appreciate it a lot and I hope the reviews I've prepared are enough to repay you :)

http://imageshack.com/a/img537/3941/5Lb5cU.jpg

Franklin-Christoph is one of fairly new pen makers. I had three of their pens and they were all good writers. The company is headed by Scott Franklin and operates from North Carolina. I like company's approach to clients (sales directly to us) and they're designs.

Franklin-Christoph offers not only pens but also notebooks, pen cases, wallets and inks. I was huge fan of Olde Emerald from first generation of their inks. It used to be my favourite ink for a while. At the moment however the bottle's long gone and I keep fond memories of this exceptional writing fluid.

I was surprised to hear they've stopped producing first generation of their inks, especially after I took a look at new colors. First generation colors were rather unique, second generation colors are rather generic. And that's not an advantage to my eyes. Being boring in ink market may be safe when you're Pelikan or Sheaffer, but for smaller player it's risky. Just my opinion.

If you happen to know who makes they're ink, I'm eager to know.

The second generation of FC inks counts eight inks with uninteresting names (Black Magic, Dark Denim, Olde Emerald - those were cool names; Blue 72, Emerald 357 are NOT cool names)

But then there are four new colors with cool names. Woo-hoo!

Terra Firma is nice and well behaved ink. I wonder how it would like next to Montblanc's LE Leonardo da Vinci Red Chalk? Terra Firma has a matte look, which fits this color rather nicely. It shades well and performs well on every paper I tried it on. It's not extremelly lubricated but it feels nice even in finer nibs. All in all I think it's interesting addition to current F-c inks line.

Ink Splash

fpn_1453574741__terra_fc_is.jpg

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1453412388__terra_fc_rk.jpg

Software ID

fpn_1453412441__terrafirma_l_rgb.jpg

Color Range

fpn_1453412433__terrafirma_l_cr.jpg

Tomoe River, Kaweco Classic Sport, B

fpn_1453412484__terrafirma_tomoe_1.jpg

fpn_1453412498__terrafirma_tomoe_2.jpg

fpn_1453412508__terrafirma_tomoe_3.jpg

Leuchtturm1917, Kaweco Classic Sport, B

fpn_1453412414__terrafirma_l_1.jpg

fpn_1453412424__terrafirma_l_2.jpg

Oxford, Kaweco Classic Sport, B

fpn_1453412454__terrafirma_ox_1.jpg

fpn_1453412463__terrafirma_ox_2.jpg

fpn_1453412473__terrafirma_ox_3.jpg

Water resistance

fpn_1453412402__terrafirma_h2o.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gregamckinney

• inkstainedruth

• jmeldorf

• Aquaria

Thanks for the, as usual, excellent review. I like it and will put it on my list.

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

An aptly named, very nice ink! Thanks for the review.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

It's very pretty. My brain is telling my that it is a very dirt-y red though. Like the soil of Prince Edward Island.

The praise of the praiseworthy is above all rewards.

Can anyone who has used this say whether they would consider it more of a reddish-brown or a brownish-red?

The sample on the F-C site looks really brown.

Thanks, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

Thanks for the review.

I don't normally go for browns that lean red -- but this one might just be an exception....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 3 weeks later...

For Christmas, I was given this ink and the Loden which is a green/black released at the same time. I keep the Terra Firma loaded in a Monteverde Primo and love the numerous hues I find in each paragraph of writing. Loden is in a Platinum Century 3776 for office use.

Thx for your review.

Edited by jmeldorf

• 1 year later...