The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Asa Nauka - A Pleasant Surprise

asa nauka ebonite

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 s_t_e_v_e

s_t_e_v_e

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2016 - 22:46

This is a pen I was going to review whether I had a good or bad experience. I'm glad to report that this is a great all-round ebonite pen.

The same review is up on my blog along with reviews of some other pens (if anyone is interested). Hope you enjoy reading my review!

16ga5ar.jpg

I have mentioned above that the design "is" inspired by Mora Stylos' Oldwin Classic. I am not sure about that. It's my guess that it is inspired by that design. I haven't been explicitly told that it is. It could very well be a coincidence that the designs are similar. I do not want to take away from the manufacturer who worked hard on designing and making the pen.

34sm3gn.jpg

14e7yif.jpg

fthmjs.jpg

This is the first pen to get 59/60, more than any of the pens I have reviewed so far and it truly deserves it.

15xuwaw.jpg

2z8rneq.jpg

30s7nya.jpg

28b6wc4.jpg

2eojm74.jpg

Edited by s_t_e_v_e, 22 January 2016 - 22:59.

Sponsored Content

#2 arcadeflow

arcadeflow

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2016 - 23:45

Nice review. I have two questions about this pen. Do you really have to grab the pen near the cap to uncap the pen? They say if you try to unscrew holding the bottom part of the body, the body will unscrew first. Also, is the cap airtight? Can you blow through it? Thanks

#3 s_t_e_v_e

s_t_e_v_e

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2016 - 02:58

Thanks!

I have never had that problem of the section unscrewing rather than the cap when trying to uncap the pen. The section and the barrel fit tightly so I don't anticipate that happening.

The cap seems that be 'airtight'. I don't see any breather holes in the cap. I filled the cap with water and it stayed.

#4 Bobje

Bobje

We're all bozos on this bus.

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2016 - 12:54

Nicely edited blog, Steve. What's impressive about your ASA Nauka review is that it's completely handwritten and completely legible (you have a distinctive letter "t"), and that the Nauka outscores a Bexley, an OMAS, a Sheaffer, and a Sailor Pro Gear. Do you like the clip? I know many people in the group buy ordered it clipless.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

#5 s_t_e_v_e

s_t_e_v_e

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2016 - 14:19

Nicely edited blog, Steve. What's impressive about your ASA Nauka review is that it's completely handwritten and completely legible (you have a distinctive letter "t"), and that the Nauka outscores a Bexley, an OMAS, a Sheaffer, and a Sailor Pro Gear. Do you like the clip? I know many people in the group buy ordered it clipless.

Thanks for your comments @bobjpage! My handwriting keeps "evolving" over time and it changes slightly based on the writing instrument I am using. I don't know if it that is a good thing or a bad thing, but I'm always trying to keep it as uniform and consistent as possible.

Yes, in my opinion it does outscore my bexley, omas, sheaffer and sailor. I guess, simplicity is the ultimate sophistication  :)

I personally like my pens with clips. So I bought the clip version. It works just fine. I haven't had any issues so far with the clip. I think it fits the design of the pen well.

#6 akustyk

akustyk

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2016 - 21:41

This is a great review!  It's thanks to reviews such as this that I became interested in Indian pens. The ASA Nauka (which means "science" in Polish), is an elegant pen, indeed. I wonder how my grip would do with the threads being close to the nib. I'd have to try it to see if it's comfortable without my finger slipping on to the threads.

I have a question for you. I have an Indian ebonite pen with a Jowo nib, and I found that, with the converter, the flow is moderate (5/10), which is to be expected because it works for most people. However, when used as an eyedropper, the flow improves at least two points (7/10), possibly three. I wonder if you have had a similar experience.

---

Please, visit my website at http://www.acousticpens.com/

#7 s_t_e_v_e

s_t_e_v_e

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 January 2016 - 19:22

Thanks @akustyk!

Yes, I would suggest trying it before buying especially if you hold the pen very close to the nib. I hold it a little away from the nib and it is very comfortable. The section being made is ebonite is far from slippery.

I haven't used it as an eyedropper yet as I like the ritual of inking pens up often. But I think the increased flow when eyedropper'd would be due to the higher ink "weight" or pressure when full or expanding air pressure when less than half full. Eyedroppers have a few quirks that we have to work with. I won't be surprised to see what you are seeing.

#8 opsguy

opsguy

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 June 2019 - 16:00

Nice review. I hope to get one of these pens soon. Thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: asa, nauka, ebonite

Sponsored Content

|