Seven Seas Grid Notebook!

FountainPenBibliophile

My notebooks arrived in Australia on Monday. Can't wait!

They're somewhere between Melbourne and my local Post Office. Unfortunately Australia Post are hopeless and the final 120km may take longer than the 12,800+ Kms from LA to Melbourne. It's Wednesday night, so maybe tomorrow...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FountainPenBibliophile

• pepsiplease69

• Cushy Butterfield

• Newjelan

More up on the site as of right now 1:10PM 14.2.2016

Ordered four, but only after telling myself that I could only possibly fill that many before the next shipment arrives (had the max five in my cart and decided not to be a jerk and hoard them). I really do hope that I like the white as much as I like the cream. The devils advocate position is now to worry that I will favor the white and no longer like the cream paper that I have grown accustomed to.

Given how fast Dave tends to be in shipping I have no doubt that these will be in hand before the end of the week.

OK _Stormin_, I blame you. I'd convinced myself I would be satisfied with having just the one, and then you tell me they're available again. Order sent. 'Nuff said.

I received my order a few days ago. I did reverently unwrap, admire, and yes, fondle the lovely paper before placing it back in its slipcase with care. The tea of choice was Earl Grey. I have not written in it yet, but as soon as I fill my current (lined) Seven Seas--I'm about 3/4 of the way through it--this will be my new Bullet Journal.

After refreshing on a daily basis (hourly sometimes) I was finally able to order one. Tried to order two but _Stormin_ grabbed it first =) Now I'll be checking the mail on an hourly basis waiting for it to get home!

Edited by Tryek25

Mine (4 of them!) arrived on Friday and I started using one immediately. Unlike the original ones, they don't have ribbon markers. This doesn't bother me as I have mine in a Midnight Blue leather Hobonichi Cover and it has 2 anyway.

I'm in notebook heaven.

I love the colour of the paper and the cross-hatches are like dots (my favourite). For anyone who's never seen the white TR paper, the texture is different to the cream which is smother and shinier. I prefer the white paper (as is used in the Hobonichi planners), but do like the "shininess" of the cream.

This is already my favourite notebook and everything else will feel second rate.

I will post some comparison pics. with the original version as well as the Hobonichi planner pages and Leuchtturm Dots (the one I preferred in the looks department until Friday) in the next few days.

Here are some pictures of the Crossfield Notebook, as well as comparisons with the Seven Seas Writer, Leuchtturm Dots and Hobonichi Planner. Apologies for the picture quality (and for some of them being upside down or sideways), they have been done with my phone and it's an overcast day.

The first 2 show the unwrapping process. The packaging is the same as for the Seven Seas Writer including the sheet of pink blotting paper. Unlike the Writer (which has 2) the Crossfield doesn't come with any ribbon markers. This is not a problem for me as I am using mine with my Midnight Blue Leather Hobonichi cover.

post-85009-0-62697600-1455590012_thumb.jpg

post-85009-0-99778600-1455590046_thumb.jpg

Here's a blank page...

post-85009-0-59189800-1455590203_thumb.jpg

Here's a side by side comparison with the Seven Seas Writer where you can see the difference in the colour of the paper.

post-85009-0-24054500-1455590296_thumb.jpg

Side by side with the Hobonichi version...

post-85009-0-26912300-1455590341_thumb.jpg

For further comparison, here is a page of A5 Leuchtturm Dots

post-85009-0-19515700-1455590426_thumb.jpg

Here is a page of writing as well as the reverse page. As you can see, I like saturated inks and wet pens. As is usual for TR paper there is no feathering or bleed through. (The Falcon was almost out of ink and I was having trouble getting it to flow consistently, so I have pressed very firmly on the page.)

post-85009-0-90404800-1455590596_thumb.jpgpost-85009-0-30287200-1455591450_thumb.jpg

Finally, here is a double page shot including the cover. (The left hand page is the reverse side of a page of writing using the "wet" Starwalker and saturated Diamine Majestic Blue. I use both sides of the page and while there is some shadowing, I like it and it isn't too noticeable when writing. Nor does it impact readability in any way.)

post-85009-0-85245300-1455590916_thumb.jpg

For me, this is pretty much the perfect notebook. I love the way it looks, the texture, the way the ink flows and the simple pleasure of pen on paper. I am glad I bought 4 and as I can see me using these exclusively in the future, my daughter will be rather happy with her "new notebooks.

I dislike cross printed pages. I've tried a few notebooks that utilise the style, including one using similar paper to the Crossfield, sent from Japan. I did try to like the print but the busyness of the crosses is just distracting. In fact, to me, it's irritating. YMMV of course.

I have a few of the original Nanami journals with the 2 bookmarks. Such a shame that none of them come with markers anymore.

Verba volant, scripta manent

They have the Crossfields in stock now as factory 2nds.

I went back and ordered 3 of those just now. (on top of the Factory 1st I already got at the release date)

You have the option of going with or without a slip-case, I went without and it came out to $18 bucks a pop.

Something in my being is telling me this is gross overkill, and I should be more humble and think about all of the unfortunate souls who have yet to lay their eyes on one of these journals...

But DASH it all!

I went back and ordered 3 of those just now. (on top of the Factory 1st I already got at the release date)

You have the option of going with or without a slip-case, I went without and it came out to $18 bucks a pop.

Something in my being is telling me this is gross overkill, and I should be more humble and think about all of the unfortunate souls who have yet to lay their eyes on one of these journals...

But DASH it all!

Think of how many people you are helping by ordering these books and depleting the supply. People like me who are on a notebook/journal "no buy" but bought some anyway....wait...nevermind....LOL..

But DASH it all!

I just received one of the "factory seconds" Crossfield notebooks. I think they are defining "seconds" in the Japanese sense--there is some molecular-level inconsistency somewhere on one of the interior pages. I could find nothing--no creases, no blemishes, nothing but a very beautiful notebook. This will be a great way to introduce myself to this paper I've been reading about.

ron

I just received one of the "factory seconds" Crossfield notebooks. I think they are defining "seconds" in the Japanese sense--there is some molecular-level inconsistency somewhere on one of the interior pages. I could find nothing--no creases, no blemishes, nothing but a very beautiful notebook. This will be a great way to introduce myself to this paper I've been reading about.

ron

I would have to agree whole-heartedly.

I've gotten these Factory 2nd's in the past, and for the life of me, I couldn't see any imperfections in them.

That's why when I saw the crossfields available as factory 2nds I had to jump on it right away.

And even if there were slight blemishes on the thing, I wouldn't mind it. These things are supposed to be beaten around and put through life's daily hustle and bustle as a close companion of yours.

The most I did was to put a nice gfeller leather cover around my Seven Seas Writer to give it a nice distinguished exterior, but other than that, I want to use the thing, make it show that someone lives here.

The leather is developing a very nice patina already, and it even got a tiny ink stain at the front of it, which it wears proudly.

I'm not in favor of worshipping the thing and putting it on a pedestal and protect it from real life.

(I know many will disagree with me there).

Edited by pepsiplease69

I've just paid for 2 factory seconds at $18 each, postage hurts though. Like some other members not sure I needed them , but I do love TR paper.

I think reading some of the threads on FPN some how gives me a licence to spend

After saying I don't really like the Crossfield crosses, as opposed to actual full grids and, second choice, lined paper, I did notice how small the crosses were and started thinking maybe they'd be OK. Especially since the lined Writer versions are still out of stock. When I saw the seconds I started thinking well, what the heck --- but I've been able to resist. Maybe you guys will buy up all the seconds too and temptation will be gone. And lined Writer should be in stock before too long, and I suppose that means seconds for them too.

After saying I don't really like the Crossfield crosses, as opposed to actual full grids and, second choice, lined paper, I did notice how small the crosses were and started thinking maybe they'd be OK. Especially since the lined Writer versions are still out of stock. When I saw the seconds I started thinking well, what the heck --- but I've been able to resist. Maybe you guys will buy up all the seconds too and temptation will be gone. And lined Writer should be in stock before too long, and I suppose that means seconds for them too.

... and yet you still hear something faintly calling your name with a slight Japanese accent ...

ron

My two "seconds" arrived and it's an extraordinary bargain. I emailed David @ Nanami complimenting the value and inquiring about ribbons and he said "he had personally installed them previously" and " the poor quality made him cry" so that feature was discontinued. In all cases I believe that we have been honored by the cost/price/value/pleasure ratios. Thank you Dave.

Sometimes I think I can taste the colors of the ink through my eyes. That Emerald.....

Already in my hobonichi there are many pages that go completely blank as I move on to make entries only on the current date's page.

You know, that is one of the main reasons I don't like to use pre-formatted planners/journals. I have in the past but am currently using my own heavily-customized version of Ryder Carroll's Bullet Journal system. There is very little wasted space.