Rhodia Quality Control?

evyxmsj

Hello all,

Firstly, I really like my Rhodia webbies.

That said, I'm finding that the most recent one I got (orange cover, lined, v3.0) has led to some feathering and bleedthrough that has not occured before. I've only used four colours on the new one, but one of them---Diamine Imperial Blue (Ahab)---gets both problems. I double checked with the same combo in my previous webbie (black cover, lined, v3.0), and no problems with that one. Same room and time of day.

For info, the other two inks didn't have the same problems:

- Diamine Grey in an Ahab: fine, but less smooth letter edges

- Diamine Onyx Black in Pelikan M200 (M)

- Pelikan Mandarin in Lamy Safari (M)

Am I just unlucky? Obviously this isn't all inks and pens so I'm not complaining too much! Was wondering if maybe there are significant batch differences or something.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• evyxmsj

• Diderot

• Drone

• Newjelan

I'm getting the same issue now with Noodler's Apache Sunset and Diamine Havasu Turqoise---feathering and bleethrough. None of this occured on my previous notebook. Ah well, unlucky I guess.

I've used Rhodia products for years and their dot pads are my favourite note pads. Based on reviews on this forum and my love of all things Rhodia, I recently bought some A5 Webbies on sale. The covers are great, I like the variety of colours, contrasting ribbon and elastic closure, and the back pocket. On the other hand, I'm disappointed with the paper. Admittedly I prefer wet pens and saturated inks and the shading is great on this paper but there is significant bleed through. (Something I've never experienced before with Rhodia.)

Just bought a black A5 Webbie (lined), but have yet to use it.

It says paper by Clairefontaine but does not give any additional information.

How do you know which version it is? The OP says v3.

v.1 - 80gsm paper, Rhodia branding on each page

v.2 - 90gsm Rhodia paper, Rhodia branding on each page

v.3 - 90gsm Clairefontaine brushed Vellum paper, no page branding

You'd be unlikely to find a v.1 now, and v.2 didn't appear on the UK market

Given my own disappointing results with recent webbies, I'm inclined to suggest there's now a v.3.1 which has "less good" Clairefontaine brushed Vellum. I've given up on them, to be honest; if it's going to be a lottery as to whether I'm to be forced to only use certain pens and inks in a notebook, I can do that at a fraction of the price.

v.1 - 80gsm paper, Rhodia branding on each page

v.2 - 90gsm Rhodia paper, Rhodia branding on each page

v.3 - 90gsm Clairefontaine brushed Vellum paper, no page branding

You'd be unlikely to find a v.1 now, and v.2 didn't appear on the UK market

Given my own disappointing results with recent webbies, I'm inclined to suggest there's now a v.3.1 which has "less good" Clairefontaine brushed Vellum. I've given up on them, to be honest; if it's going to be a lottery as to whether I'm to be forced to only use certain pens and inks in a notebook, I can do that at a fraction of the price.

Thanks for this.

It would appear that mine is also v3 (or v3.1).

Ah well, I'll just use it as best as I can and move on to something else once finished.

Thanks for this.

It would appear that mine is also v3 (or v3.1).

Ah well, I'll just use it as best as I can and move on to something else once finished.

I suggest that you send a message to Rhodia expressing your displeasure, and while you are at it point them at this thread so they know you may not be the only one. After all, if they don't know about the problem - they won't fix it.

I had the opportunity to try a Leuchtturm 1917 yesterday.

I was only able to use Havasu Turqoise and Apache Sunset: no feathering on either and only some bleed through on the thickest bit of Apache (using an Ahab), though this did bleed onto the next page slightly! There was more 'ghosting' than with the Rhodia, and the pages didn't feel quite as smooth. But all in all, I actually prefer it over the Webbie in this instance.

Now if only someone made Tomoe journals...

Now if only someone made Tomoe journals...

There are people that make Tomoe Journals:

1. Paper for Fountain Pens:

http://www.paperforfountainpens.com/collections/all

2. Nanami Paper:

http://www.nanamipaper.com

And there are probably more out there that I don't know of. Just Google: Tomoe Journal.

David

Thanks, that's

There are people that make Tomoe Journals:

1. Paper for Fountain Pens:

http://www.paperforfountainpens.com/collections/all

2. Nanami Paper:

http://www.nanamipaper.com

And there are probably more out there that I don't know of. Just Google: Tomoe Journal.

David

Thanks for that. Those two sites look good, but the shipping costs would make it not very affordable on a regular basis. If anyone knows of a distributor or maker of Tomoe journals in the EU (preferably UK), I'd be happy to check it out!

Thanks, that's

Thanks for that. Those two sites look good, but the shipping costs would make it not very affordable on a regular basis. If anyone knows of a distributor or maker of Tomoe journals in the EU (preferably UK), I'd be happy to check it out!

My thoughts also.

I suggest that you send a message to Rhodia expressing your displeasure, and while you are at it point them at this thread so they know you may not be the only one. After all, if they don't know about the problem - they won't fix it.

I'll try it first and see how it goes, otherwise yes, it is a good idea.

• 2 weeks later...

I may have hit on a good notebook with the Oxford Signature. Not a huge fan of it's appearance, but I've had good results with their Optic paper before. I've generally avoided them as I can't stand spiral-binding, but apparently the above is a hard bound notebook with elastic strap.

The price seems very low, and considering most of my work notes go to archive without being seen again, I am keen to try this. I will try to use up my Webbie first though, despite the problems, as I hate to waste.

Wow - this is the most worrying post since someone suggested that Quo Vadis were changing the paper in their Habana notebook and thereby ruined the greatest notebook ever made. if Rhoda is playing with the quality of their paper it is reason for us all to be concerned.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png