Am I Alone In This? Topics With Bad Titles.

beak

If there was a "Like" button - that's what they have on the Book of Faces, yes? - then EoC would be pressing it repeatedly for the above post.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• beak

• Cryptos

• pen2paper

• dcwaites

I don't give a hoot about spelling, misdiagnoses, or poor English. ............

I don't think there are many here that disagree with the spirit of your post. I agree with it too, apart from the quoted line.

We've covered the E2L aspect, and all wish to help with that - You may care to check how many times and for how long I have been doing it, for instance.

So lets consider those learning English by attending FPN. Should they have good samples or rubbish? Which helps them most when they are trying to sort out this tortuous language?

You will find on closer inspection that my problem was purposefully bad English. You will find too that not many read that far, but react with platitudes. You will also find posts here which say that helping someone see the correct version of what they are trying to write is 'elitists', and one even called the idea a 'vestige of colonialism and imperialism' or some such tripe.

Edited by beak

Sincerely, beak.

God does not work in mysterious ways – he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.

I think that writing a topic title is like writing a headline ... you had better interest a reader in perusing your squib.

While E2L is a problem (I have a teaching certificate in E2L), our topics here are usually very specific to a pen/ink/paper/brand/handwriting question/observation. So specific references can appear in the title which should relate to some of the readers. This is made more sure at FPN by the spectrum of choice of category to which to post.

The junk topics to me are the 'Whatcha readin'?" blahblah"watchin/", "blahblah eatin'?" types.

The junk topics to me are the 'Whatcha readin'?" blahblah"watchin/", "blahblah eatin'?" types.

For people studying English, those topics are just as valuable, I guess, since they are attended as much by them.

I like some of the Chatter topics - and they do help you form a broader picture of folk here.

But I have had enough of food and cooking chat, I confess. Probably a reaction to the Australian TV that I hear in the odd unguarded moment; food food food - often being synthetically enthused over by some berk with a personality apparently engineered around an exaggerated E. London accent.

Sincerely, beak.

God does not work in mysterious ways – he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.

You know, I'm sitting here stuck in the house on day two of the blizzard of 2016. The wind has been howling like a freight train going by for the secon day now and there is still another to go. A big part of the east coast of the US is shut down.

I came on here to talk of things of little consequence, that give me pleasure. Instead I get a grumpy Australian intent on making a big thing over nothing.

Have a nice night..there are other threads with happier people out there.

I don't mind bad titles in the sense of some spelling or grammar misstep what I don't like are topic titles that insufficiently describe the content of the thread. You know, the ones you have to click through to figure out what the thread is about. I find those bothersome and clickbait-y even if that aspect of it is inadvertent.

My main peeve, by far, is folks who quote a really long post with lots of pictures just to add a one line or one word response. But that's a behavior that is never going to change I suppose.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Ahoy there again shipwreck,

I'm British, as it happens. But why bother with facts.

You know you can scroll past things you're not interested in, right? - and you started our conversation, nobody forced you to. Sorry it didn't go the way you planned, and if anyone around here sounds grumpy, it's you.

c ya,

Edited by beak

Sincerely, beak.

Sorry I is late to this topic but I is right with beak on this.

Folk who's righting contain's spelling and badly grammer gets on my tripe! Its easy if your carefull.

I were ever getting told of for me pedantry.

Cheers,

David.

I were ever getting told of for me pedantry.

Cheers,

David.

There's a pill for that now.

Regards,

A different David.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

skim reeders.

Sincerely, beak.

Does it mean that my posts annoy you? English is not my first language. Try Spanish and you won't find a single mistake in what I type.

Anyway, isn't this an international forum? Maybe you can create your own English-native-speakers-only subforum...