The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Black Ink Suggestion For Fine Print Writing?

black black ink ink fine extra fine ef

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 ppdiaporama

ppdiaporama

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2016 - 03:09

Sheaffer Skrip is under 10$ and quite black!

Sponsored Content

#22 Buzz_130

Buzz_130

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2016 - 12:36

Platinum Carbon Black is different than their normal line of black. Designed for Kanji, fast writing, and permanence. This ink works on terrible paper and from my finest nibs. Sailor Kiwa Guro is Sailor's nano pigment ink and is also exceptionally black and carries all of the same characteristics of the Platinum line.

Iron galls also have a reputation for quick drying and long-lasting qualities. I use Diamine Registrars, KWZ Inks (all of their IG Blues settle into dark, professional colors).

In both cases of nano pigment and iron gall, you will have to accept a high maintenance ink. But if you are using this as a daily writer, you should have no problem.

Buzz

#23 prodo123

prodo123

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 17:47

Platinum Carbon Black is different than their normal line of black. Designed for Kanji, fast writing, and permanence. This ink works on terrible paper and from my finest nibs. Sailor Kiwa Guro is Sailor's nano pigment ink and is also exceptionally black and carries all of the same characteristics of the Platinum line.

Iron galls also have a reputation for quick drying and long-lasting qualities. I use Diamine Registrars, KWZ Inks (all of their IG Blues settle into dark, professional colors).

In both cases of nano pigment and iron gall, you will have to accept a high maintenance ink. But if you are using this as a daily writer, you should have no problem.

Buzz

+1

Maybe also some of KWZI iron gall inks would work for you.

+1 Word.

I'll throw Sailor Kiwa-Guro into the suggestion box.  It's a Japanese manufactured ink, so I would imagine that a lot of kanji are written using it.  It's very black, and much faster drying than the Noodler's inks that I use.

Thanks for the suggestion. On the reviews forum I saw an EF nib writing sample and this looks perfect, more water-resistant than the Take-sumi, and pure carbon black. The only problem is the price...which is on par with the Take-sumi. :(

From a strict price-conscious point of view I think you guys convinced me on Noodler's Black, and with no compromises, the Kiwaguro. I have 6 cartridges left, so by the time I run out I think I'll be able to decide on which to go with. Thanks for the suggestions!  :D

Also, I have like ~10 Pilot Precise roller pens left over from before I got hooked on FPs. They use liquid inks which from what I can tell work identically to FP inks (absorbent). It's also exceptionally black (but not waterproof), so I could experiment with that with an empty cartridge in the interim just for kicks.

Edited by prodo123, 26 January 2016 - 19:11.

#24 sciumbasci

sciumbasci

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 January 2016 - 20:24

I use Waterman black in my EF.
You might want to try the Kohinoor Document Ink. It's cheap, water resistant, and black.

#25 tonybelding

tonybelding

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2016 - 00:46

Noodler's Black isn't a super slow drying ink.  It's. . .   slow-ish, a bit.

Noodler's Heart of Darkness dries faster, but it may not fare as well on cheap paper.

Private Reserve Invincible Black used to be the ultimate, but it's out of production now.  And I've had so many negative experiences with PR, that I find it hard to recommend them for anything anymore.

#26 prodo123

prodo123

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 18:54

I went with the Kiwa-guro and I love it!
Full res pics taken at a coffee shop mid-study break

https://www.dropbox.....48.15.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.....48.30.jpg?dl=0

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: black, black ink, ink, fine, extra fine, ef

Sponsored Content

|