What You Guys Write?

iwiber

Hello everyone,

I'm new to fountain pen, and I love it. What brought me to it? I always had an attraction to pens, and when I was young I was always told that my hand writting was terrible, and my dad one awesome. So I guess I developed a kind of desire to write properly. Also, I find that computer de-naturalize it when we type. Same thing when I read, I tried for long time the e-books but it's so not natural.

Enough said, here why I'm asking what you guys write. I have 2 nice fountain pens now, a TWSBI 580 steel and a Laban Mento. I also have different paper such like Rhodia and some Franklin Christoph journals. As well as few Pilot ink.

I love to right, but I'm kind of not knowing what to write. So far, I write what I have to take care of in my company on a daily basis on a A5 Rhodia dotpad and I love it. But I find I don't write enough. I also tried to write my days on my journals, but since I find I get repetitive, I stopped doing it. I also want to write a book, but am I really gonna write it by hand? All of those questions of driving me nuts!

What you guys write?

Cheers,

Raphael

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sailor Kenshin

• TSherbs

• drafty

• Humanities

Almost anything of significance I post online begins as text written out on paper. If I write a story, review a pen or coffee machine or custom knife or make plans or lists or entries in one of my journals or am just watching TV it's likely there is a pen in my hand and a pad of paper in my lap. When I design or modify a website it starts out as notes and sketches on paper.

My Website

Journaling can be used as a mind dump - to get your thoughts over the incident. Helps you recall stuff in your life also.

You could try finding a penpal or two on the "Write Stuff" section of FPN, just post a little bio of yourself to get started.

Maybe you could write to a friend, a family member, or those who would love letters, like servicemen and women or the elderly. A stranger even, check out More Love Letters.

(International Correspondence Writing Month, or InCoWriMo for short, is coming up in February! Write a letter every day of Feb!)

There are some people here who write their books (the drafts anyway) out by hand, so yes you could do that.

I mostly do notes and letters nowadays.

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

Since i'm in college I mostly use them for note-taking, and at home I write a lot of essays or texts by hand before I type them on a computer.

I keep a journal at home and I also use it for taking meeting notes and brainstorming at work. I'm also testing out using a bullet journal for keeping track of my to-do lists and such.

I have a few outlets:

- University work

- Planner, keeping very brief diary like entries, finances, appointments, etc, I don't like to do this kind of stuff on my phone.

- Journal of notable poems/quotes/excerpts.

- Journal of my own poetry, which I copy into from my the loose leaves of paper I scribble on

- Doodle pad beside the computer. Conceptualising ideas, rough sketches, lists, etc

- I have a friend who I keep written correspondence with.

- Musical notation, ideas, that kind of stuff, I have loads of sheets of paper with songs structures, lyrics, chords etc,

I try to write something every day even if it's only a few lines.

Platinum 3776 - F, Pilot Decimo - F, TWSBI Vac Mini - 1.1i

I have notebooks. Dozens and dozen of notebooks. I'm a writer and I follow the Jane Austen adage that in order to write you should just start writing until you feel like writing. There are times when I want to write long hand and other times when I need the computer but I also keep a Rhodia pad for when I want to practice my calligraphy and try out new inks. I travel with at least three pens inked up and my notes can get pretty colourful. Good luck with your experiments! :)

I keep a 4x6 notebook in my purse for notes, poems, favorite quotes. I have a beautiful journal at home for final drafts of my poetry. I also write in a composition book daily - things that I am grateful for, recipes, new ideas/new ways to do things. Anything good that I want to keep goes into my daily notebook. I plan to participate in InCoWriMo this year.

I write sermons and biblical history lessons. It relaxes me and is a good opportunity to improve my penmanship skills.

Journals mostly, dull stuff for anyone but myself, but they aren't written with posterity in mind. If I have an idea I want to follow up on later, I make a note in the back of the journal as to what page it's on.

A notebook to keep track of diet and exercise. A pocket notebook of miscellaneous notes. Some fiction, which is abysmal at the moment, but the up side is that I don't have to try to publish any of it until I'm satisfied. Technical notes for work (I keep a separate notebook on the job). I have a little notebook that somebody gave me with regular ruling, but alphabet tabs. I use it as a private glossary or dictionary. When I learn a new word, I put it in that book. The most recent one was "arenaceous".

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

Oh...Stuff...

To-do lists, journals, stories, editing, shopping lists, questions, answers, ink reviews, pen reviews, correspondence, sometimes with doodles, sometimes without.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I write meeting notes, drafts of even short messages (if I'm having trouble pulling them together in my head), outlines, and first drafts of articles at work. At home I write in journals. Yes, sometimes it is very repetitive. So what? I'm not going to submit it for a literary prize, and the act of writing helps me form a clearer memory of the day. I also write drafts of longer material, like short stories and a book, longhand. It works better for me than drafting at a keyboard.

Some people here set themselves arbitrary projects, like making a copy of a favorite book. It gives you a task without you having to worry about whether the content is significant or elegant, let's you work on your hand, and in a strange way connects you to our global heritage of scribes, preserving our cultures page by page with quill (or stick, or brush) and ink. That is an entirely different way to experience a book, I'm told, unlike anything you can get by just reading it.

Also, some people here write correspondence. Not that long ago it was common for a business person an influential thinker, or a member of a large family to write a dozen or more letters by hand every day. Email doesn't have to deprive you of that.

ron

Mostly, I write notes for classes. I also journal, and occasionally write up notes and lists. I like the idea of composing everything significant by hand, but I'm not actually in the habit of so doing. I sometimes don't have the time for it. And I find Semantik to be a better outlining tool.

I write to practice my handwriting. I write letters. I write just for the fun of it because I have trouble just sitting in front of the TV and do nothing but stare at it. I will have a movie or show on and write snippets and phrases from whatever I'm watching. (or listening to, if I were completely truthful)

I also take notes at work. But they're not as much fun.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

I journal, and I sometimes write poetry. I'm trying my hand at fiction, too, and occasionally do drawings and sketches.

I take notes at meetings or at classes for the organization I belong to. I make shopping and to do lists and do the Sunday crossword and sudukus in the local weekly paper, and (with the the right ink) sign papers and checks.

Basically anything I would use a BP for, I use a fountain pen. :thumbup:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

At home, I keep a bunch of pads of different sizes in my desk ... I jot down notes as I surf the Internet or sometimes I write out what i'm going to type. I also keep a Rhodia No 8 handy to write lists ... what I'll do today, what I'll make for dinner this week, my grocery list ...

I also have a colouring book (for adults) that I keep around my home office and sometimes spend long minutes just filling in lines with colours --it's relaxing and it's a great way of getting rid of ink without feeling guilty.

At the office, I keep 3 notebooks. One that acts as my agenda/to-do list. I carry it to our morning and afternoon meetings and the team relies on it/me to keep track of key action items. A second notebook for general note taking (or scribbling while on endless conference calls) ... and a 3rd one, always with a red cover. I also have a few pads that I use for whatever.

I'm a university student, so lots and lots of notes. I also handwrite my assignments whenever I can - professors can be fussy about this and require word processing.

I use them to write in my Hobonichi Planner, as well as for keeping a running to do list which helps me to keep on top of things.

... I also tried to write my days on my journals, but since I find I get repetitive, I stopped doing it. I also want to write a book, but am I really gonna write it by hand? ...

I keep a daily journal and sometimes what I write would be considered by a casual reader to be more than a bit boring!

It doesn't worry me. My journal is for me to look back on. Not for others to read or critique.

There are days when I barely write a paragraph but there are just as many when I will write pages and pages.

Some stuff is purely routine ... the things I did or am doing. Other times I write more about what I'm thinking and how I'm feeling.

There's no point in forcing yourself to write something just for the sake or writing something.

I have days like that. Then sometimes I'll wake up in the middle of the night feeling compelled to put my thoughts down on paper.

As for writing a book? ... there are many authors who write their first draft by hand. They do this because they feel writing by hand allows them to give more thought to what they're writing.

< edited to fix typos. I don't have typos with a fountain pen. I just cross out mistakes and carry on :) >

Edited by AndyKeir

Andy sang as he watched and waited 'til his billy boiled ...

(With apologies to Andrew Barton "Banjo" Paterson)

Along with InCoWriMo, there is also http://lettermo.com. By the time you are done with the month, you will probably have identified at least a couple of penpal and will see a marked improvement in your writing.

I am also a therapist, and I recommended journaling to at least three clients today.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

sorry - double posting.

Edited by sharonspens

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway