A "j" Or Not A "j" ?

Ian the Jock

Ok, so my red Esterbrook J arrived yesterday and I eagerly opened the packaging (I was quite excited at the thought of my first Estie, and what nibs I could get for it) therefore you can appreciate my disappointment when the pen turned out to be a very small, skinny, lightweight pen which to be honest, was not what I was expecting.

The pen itself is very nice and writes beautifully, but it's just too small and light for my own taste.

I used it for most of yesterday and it became uncomfortable to use periodically as I felt I was gripping it like grim death as a consequence of its' lack of weight and girth.

I had a look at many threads on the forum before opting to go for an Estie, and never really came across anything mentioning its' diminutive size.

I've since been told that it may indeed be one of the smaller. slimmer versions of the "J" like an LJ or an SJ.

It measures 117mm capped, 107mm uncapped and 147mm posted.

Here are some pics, which may help to identify what It actually is, and any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Ian

fpn_1453219232__est1.jpg

fpn_1453219266__est2.jpg

fpn_1453219305__est3.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• Runnin_Ute

• corgicoupe

• ac12

It may be a case where the seller was not a pen aficionado and did not know the different sizes/models. They saw the name "Esterbrook", did a modicum of research, and said "Ah, it's a J series pen and didn't go beyond that.

It does appear to write well (most of my Esties still need to be restored. If you like the nib, you may be able to get another pen (a full sized J this time) and then swap the nibs out (which is the great thing about them: my husband is getting my red J, once I get it re-sacced; then I will put his choice of EF nibs on it, and put the 2314B nib unit on one of my other ones).

Oh, and fair warning -- Esterbrooks are like potato chips: you can't have just one!

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Oh, and fair warning -- Esterbrooks are like potato chips: you can't have just one!

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

But, if you get all six colors of Js, then you can stop.....at least for a good while.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

But, if you get all six colors of Js, then you can stop.....at least for a good while.

You need all 6 colors from all the factories with all the imprints and all the lever varieties. You could also include sizes in the matrix. Six isn't getting you there

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

You need all 6 colors from all the factories with all the imprints and all the lever varieties. You could also include sizes in the matrix. Six isn't getting you there

Then, there's also the variations found within each color. B)

Ah, the secret is to chunk it into larger categories. Think coarse step functions, or you will find yourself dealing with a continuous curve right from the start. The step functions can be refined later.

Robert Frost

Ah, the secret is to chunk it into larger categories. Think coarse step functions, or you will find yourself dealing with a continuous curve right from the start. The step functions can be refined later.

Some of us are not allowed duplicates. I recently had to petition the authority to classify inked and uninked as different models.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Some of us are not allowed duplicates. I recently had to petition the authority to classify inked and uninked as different models.

I believe "uninked with box" and "inked with box" are two additional models...

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

Definitely an SJ, one of the few pens I have that I HAVE to post. But that's okay by me, Mine is also red - with a 9450 EF.

I just won a grey J this afternoon for very cheap- but it will need a new sac. Hopefully I won't need to replace anything else. (j bar etc) Some light corrosion on 9461 nib and clip. In worst case, I can put a different nib in.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331753778964?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Here is a photo for relative size.

LJ- black-~131 mm capped

J- green-~124 mm capped

SJ- red - ~117 mm capped

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-01/20160106_192721_zpsgnkqxujh.jpg

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Definitely an SJ, one of the few pens I have that I HAVE to post. But that's okay by me, Mine is also red - with a 9450 EF.

I just won a grey J this afternoon for very cheap- but it will need a new sac. Hopefully I won't need to replace anything else. (j bar etc) Some light corrosion on 9461 nib and clip. In worst case, I can put a different nib in.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331753778964?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

So that was you....congrats!

So that was you....congrats!

Thanks! I wondered who pushed it up. I had it for under $10 for quite a while.

I'll wait until it arrives to order supplies. Only want to do so once. Since I have never replaced a sac, I figured this was a good one to start on. If I could get it reasonably. And I didn't have a gray. Just the black, green and red above. Chickened out/not quite quick enough a couple of days ago on a copper with a 9314 B

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

Here is a photo for relative size.

LJ- black-~131 mm capped

J- green-~124 mm capped

SJ- red - ~117 mm capped

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-01/20160106_192721_zpsgnkqxujh.jpg

Did you flip the J and LJ? The listing on the pad seems to have them in the correct sequence, with the J being the largest.

Robert Frost

I like these pens as nostalgia pieces, and the collection is complete with a J, SJ and LJ. As long as they are not black, so that they remind me of the plastic bowls from the 1940s and 1950s. Nice conversation pieces behind glass.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Hey! I just completed my J collection with a black, and I think it looks rather neat. Not colorful, but snazzy!

Robert Frost

Hey! I just completed my J collection with a black, and I think it looks rather neat. Not colorful, but snazzy!

A collection will be complete when you get the pens you define as completing your collection. This makes some collections specialized. If you narrow the focus of a collection it does make it easier to get your mind around it. You always have the option to expand it later..

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

It is complete until you find out about a different model or variation of the pen.

- Transitional-standard, 6 colors + skunk = 7

- Transitional-short, 6 colors + skunk = 7

- J, 6 colors + skunk = 7

- LJ, 6 colors + skunk = 7

- SJ, 6 colors + skunk = 7

- icicle, 2 sizes (LJ and SJ) x maybe 6 colors each = 12

- pastels, more than 10, I have not figured out what the total color pallet is

- etc. etc. etc.

So just with the above we are at 57. This is without counting manufacturing color variation (light to dark), and jewel variations for the Transitionals, and ...

What I hate is when I discover a model that I did not know about, that usually adds another 7 pens that I have to try to collect.

But some are satisfied with 1 of each of the 6 basic colors (6 pens), and some with a J, LJ and SJ (just 3 pens).

So as pajaro said, it is all in how YOU define complete.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Ian

Many/most older pens are relatively light compared to many of today's pens, which I consider HEAVY.

This is because the older pens were made to be written with, sometimes for LOTS of writing.

For me I can write with a relatively heavy pen, 20-30 grams, for about a page. Beyond that, and my hand gets tired from holding/supporting the pen. Whereas I can write with my older/lighter pens, less than 15 grams, for a LONG time. My longest was several 3 hour writing sessions.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com