Pilot Plumix As An Eyedropper..possible? Successful?

NewPenMan

reason I ask is that I tried with some silicon grease and it was about 98% good; the 2% margin had noodler's cayenne running down my hand a few times..very mysterious..

anyone succeed eyedroppering a Plumix? Are the plastic tolerances just not there? Kids pen?

what if I'd used an O-ring?

Thanks!

Franklin-Christoph Stabilis 66 and Pocket 40: both with Matsuyama CI | Karas Kustoms Aluminum, Daniel Smith CI | Italix Parson's Essential and Freshman's Notator | Pilot Prera | Pilot Metropolitan | Lamy Safari, 1.1mm italic | Muji "Round Aluminum Pen" | Waterman Phileas | Noodler's Konrad | Nemosine Singularity 0.6mm stub | ASA Nauka, acrylic and ebonite | Gama Hawk | Wality Airmail | Noodlers Ahab | TWSBI GO | Noodlers Charlie | Pilot Plumix |

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NewPenMan

• dcwaites

• mhguda

• zwack

ah..that's a good idea...I think I'll try that..I really enjoy the functionality of being able to see how much ink I've got left..

..plus, it looks cool!

thank you for that!

Franklin-Christoph Stabilis 66 and Pocket 40: both with Matsuyama CI | Karas Kustoms Aluminum, Daniel Smith CI | Italix Parson's Essential and Freshman's Notator | Pilot Prera | Pilot Metropolitan | Lamy Safari, 1.1mm italic | Muji "Round Aluminum Pen" | Waterman Phileas | Noodler's Konrad | Nemosine Singularity 0.6mm stub | ASA Nauka, acrylic and ebonite | Gama Hawk | Wality Airmail | Noodlers Ahab | TWSBI GO | Noodlers Charlie | Pilot Plumix |

You could try adding an o-ring. That should seal the extra 2%. the other option someone has mentioned is using ptfe tape on the threads.

Let me get clear on this...the tape goes on over the silicon grease, or higher up the threads, next to the O-ring?..

or is it tape, THEN silicon grease over it?

I have eyedroppered a Plumix, but did not use the teflon tape except for around the nib and feed assembly, which was a bit loose in the section and caused my pen to drip.

Eventually I removed the tape and pushed the assembly further in, and the seal was better. So I have not had to use anything on the threads except for a little silicone grease. But if I were to put the teflon tape on the threads I would NOT put any grease there - it would create more of a mess, IMO, and since the teflon tape expands a little to seal the connection, it should not be necessary. I hope you can make it work - please report back on what works...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

thank you for relating that...I have a plumix, now un-inked and will apply this advice..let you all know how it turns out!

Yes, PTFE tape is used to seal threads, Silicon grease is also used to seal threads. An O-ring is used to seal a gap...

So, I would either use an o-ring around the very end of the thread (so that it was the last thing screwed in) and a small amount of silicon grease at the same end of the thread (most flashlight people put a small amount on the o-ring, tighten the flashlight, loosen it a turn or two and then tighten it down again.) or a small amount of ptfe tape (no more than three full turns, more often only two)

If it was a plumbing joint and three turns of ptfe tape did not stop it I would use thread seal compound plus ptfe tape. I have had to do this once on a joint that just would not seal.

So, either an o-ring and grease or just ptfe tape. Both are designed to fill the gaps, they just do it slightly differently.

I o-ringed and plumber taped 2 plumixes and tried a 3rd; ink rocketed out the bottom soon as it went in; some plumixes are closed, some aren't.

After having 2 plumixes eyedroppered, as to whether it works, I find it to be a resounding: "maybe."

One pen seems fine; the other...I have no idea where the ink is getting out. Nothing in the cap, nothing on the nib or feed, no hint or sign of leaking from the section and the end of this one seems closed, I wipe first with a cloth and suddenly ink all over my hands. I just put packing tape over the end..we'll see if it changes the situation.

It's a worthy experiment, but I have less than no desire to fiddle with pens beyond the prudent pen hygiene all pen users should practice.

I was generous with the tape; I think I got it just right..section went in snugly, and I can see that it stops the ink. O-ring's insurance.

Plumix-as-eyedropper is probably just as much a tinkerer's delight as getting an Ahab not to be an ink bomb.

HTH

Edited by NewPenMan

I have one of the clear 'Iro' series Preras that I am thinking to convert to ED. And yes, I have checked the barrel, it's airtight. I just need to find my little baggy of o-rings I bought from Jetpens years ago for converting Preppys to ED filler.

I think I will go Silicone Grease + o-ring rather than PTFE tape.

Or who knows, I might just live dangerously. On second though, mebbe not.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

It's not clear to me whether the tape is better than the grease, or vice versa.

I'm not done with my maybe-leaky plumix...or with my probably not leaky other plumix.

I'm also not willing to take them out of the house, or more than 18 inches away from a ready pen cloth..

...death by angry wife is my fear...and she'd be perfectly justified!

;-)

The problem with PTFE tape is that it puts outward pressure on the barrel. Silicone grease just squishes itself into all the nooks and crannies.

On a robust barrel, it's not a problem. On a Platinum Preppy, it's courting disaster.

I already have a second-hand Pilot Crystal that showed the problem when I got it.

Edited by dcwaites

Granny Aching

ok..so the snug fit I got with the tape could, over time, cause cracks because of the pressure?

ok..so the snug fit I got with the tape could, over time, cause cracks because of the pressure?

Yes.

Granny Aching

Thanks for raising it. .I've since undone the taped plumixes and redone them with greasem

See how it gOes

OK...confirmed: ink comes out the end of the plumix barrel even if said barrel initially seemed to be sealed at the end.

Easy enough to caulk...

any theories why ink could be drooling out the nib/feed end? I know they're seated firmly; any firmer and I'd be afraid of cracking the plastic.

Thanks!

If you have an opening in the barrel where ink also comes out, that would cause ink to come out the front end as well - it only needs to be a very small opening... when you seal that the leaking at the front end should stop too.

Ah...ok...I see it...

Seems obvious now that you mention it. .didn't at the time. .

I need to get some caulk.

Thank you!

To those who have successfully eyedroppered their Plumixes, have you experienced ink drooling as the ink gets closed to be used up?

No, but with some other eyedroppers I have. I think if the feed is inadequate you get that. My Click with only half a feed blurped like mad when the ink was running out.