• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gatorboy

• pajaro

• northstar

• lyonlover

I third this.

I guess I said basically the same thing with the 444, so I fourth this. The vintage pens a much better deal, and are made in the USA too!

Edited by lyonlover

We discussed this at the recent Pen Function and decided the correct answer is a Snorkel.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

A Snorkel, working, is a very good pen. My Snorkel desk pen, Triumph nib, must have been restored, because it works perfectly and doesn't dry up. The Tip Dip nibs are also excellent and all you need to submerge in ink is the hole at the tip of the feed. Touchdown fill without the extra turns on the mechanism. The ones I have have steel nibs, though. The Snorkel does have the gizmo factor.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Aren't the Snorkels, being more complex, more prone to failure or, rather, complex failure if it happens. I have one but have stayed away from more, preferring the relative simplicity of the Imperial II Deluxe and, even simpler, the 330 & 440 either cartridge or convertor. Is it not also true that Snorkels hold less ink per fill? I have both a 444 and 2444 and like both. Again, they're simple.

Aren't the Snorkels, being more complex, more prone to failure or, rather, complex failure if it happens. I have one but have stayed away from more, preferring the relative simplicity of the Imperial II Deluxe and, even simpler, the 330 & 440 either cartridge or convertor. Is it not also true that Snorkels hold less ink per fill? I have both a 444 and 2444 and like both. Again, they're simple.

I don't find them complicated but one can simply the process and get a Touchdown filler pen instead. Both are under rated quality writing instruments and a very good price point.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I'll offer the opinion that a Lifetime (Imperial shape) is a pen that has a superb inlaid 14k nib, light weight, and slim shape. To me it has a lot of that Snorkel feel. Mine is a cartridge Sentinel, but they were available as TD fillers too.

I will break from one string of the opinions in this thread. If you can get an older Prelude, I would recommend it.

I have had two (a CT and a GT Plasma finish) and they have been rock solid pens. No problems of any kind after several years of regular use.

Just my experience of course.

Best Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

The OP asking for modern Sheaffer?

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

The OP asking for modern Sheaffer?

That's what I remembered too. Now we're veering off back into the war era...

If we use that logic then we have to see what year the OP was born ;)

And my understanding is that anything from 60s and earlier is considered vintage, and what is vintage can not be modern, anyways that's my personal point of view.

Best regards.

@northstar. The OP himself has defined the moderns as Sagaris, Prelude, Agio and 300. Would you still ask him what was his date of birth in order to be able to tell him as to what constituted modern for him? Lol

Khan M. Ilyas

@northstar. The OP himself has defined the moderns as Sagaris, Prelude, Agio and 300. Would you still ask him what was his date of birth in order to be able to tell him as to what constituted modern for him? Lol

I think at least for the snorkels they are considered vintage, or at least this is my understanding, anyways its very healthy for different people to have different opinions, and as Robert mentioned what is vintage to one can be modern to other.

My warmest regards to my dear cousin ;)

BTW I have all four pens mentioned by the OP, and I suggest prelude then 300.

I will break from one string of the opinions in this thread. If you can get an older Prelude, I would recommend it.

I have had two (a CT and a GT Plasma finish) and they have been rock solid pens. No problems of any kind after several years of regular use.

Just my experience of course.

Best Regards, greg

How long will they go before the nib and feed dries?

My red swirl Prelude with medium point dries up during the day if I ink it in the morning. Because of this I couldn't see why people posted that Preludes were better than Sonnets, which are usually stinkers. Maybe my Prelude has a cap issue.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

I think that your Prelude may indeed have a cap issue. I own several Preludes, but got rid of every Sonnet that has come my way. They do dry out after a while, but not over night like yours. I have found that in some cased changing inks helps. Blue Quink and MB blue-black for documents were a problem for some of my pens.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I have Sheaffer Agio. Pen is very smooth and comfortable but in my opinion tip of the nib is made of soft metal, becouse after one year of use I had to regrind it becouse of big wear of the tip. Also the body feels a bit cheap.

I think that your Prelude may indeed have a cap issue. I own several Preludes, but got rid of every Sonnet that has come my way. They do dry out after a while, but not over night like yours. I have found that in some cased changing inks helps. Blue Quink and MB blue-black for documents were a problem for some of my pens.

Wouldn't you know it, Montblanc blue black is the ink I use most, then Sheaffer blue black. I'll have to think about that. Quink does dry up readily.

Got the new old stock prelude 538 1st edition GT made in USA 1996 with an unsual italic or cursive s nib design, I just ink dipped it and it wrote very well and doesn't fill or look flimsy. I got the green leaf color.

Edited by EffyA