Is There Something Like A European "the Goulet Pen Company"?

angelov95

If you want to buy ink samples like from Goulet, but without the unhearthly shipping charges, I'm an happy customer of stationeryshop-scotland and I'm happy to vouch for him.

Me to. Good selection and excellent service.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• evyxmsj

• angelov95

• tfwall

• richardandtracy

It really depends on how much you want the business compared to the bureaucratic overload you're prepared to put up with. I think Nathan's towards the 'no tolerance for bureaucracy' end of the spectrum. I do rather agree with him on that.

Regards,

Richard.

I wonder why Monteverde, Private Reserve for instance don't have the same difficulties exporting to Europe.

When people ask why there is no consistent supply of Noodler's Ink in Europe, your post is the answer.

Please Note Chemyst is not a representative of Noodler's Ink, and in March 2016 was prevented from participating in FPN discussions.

I would have thought the same legal issues would apply to shipping to consumers within the USA as well. But I suppose shipping to the EU adds another layer. That's international trade for you! If NI are content for status quo, I guess I see no reason why they would want to diversify internationally.

Edited by alc3261
Moderator's Note

I would have thought the same legal issues would apply to shipping to consumers within the USA as well. But I suppose shipping to the EU adds another layer. That's international trade for you!

As long as Brussels supports mega-corporations through protective tariffs and regulation at the expense of the small manufacturer, there will never be a reliable supply of Noodler's Ink in the EU.

As long as national customs agents demand ink come labeled in European fluid measures instead of American weights, there will never be a reliable supply of Noodler's Ink in the EU.

As long as national customs agents can unilaterally increase the declared value of a shipment tenfold and attach importation fees based on this new value, there will never be a reliable supply of Noodler's Ink in the EU.

As long as governments can destroy incoming shipments that lack (proprietary) ingredient listings, there will never be a reliable supply of Noodler's Ink in the EU.

As long as governments can reject shipments for using components they arbitrarily declare as "toxic", "carcinogenic" or "non-authorized", there will never be a reliable supply of Noodler's Ink in the EU.

It used to be Noodler's Ink only had to be hand carried into places like China or Palestine. Now, it seems like hand carry in luggage is the only way to supply Europe as well.

Write your MP and let them know you, the consumer, can do your own research and determine whether you want to purchase a product. Tell your elected representatives that restrictive laws designed to allegedly protect your safety and coincidentally benefit big native producers, are neither required nor desired.

Please Note Chemyst is not a representative of Noodler's Ink, and in March 2016 was prevented from participating in FPN discussions.

Edited by alc3261
Moderator's Note

On topic: Stationeryshop-Scotland on EbaY is indeed nice place to get samples.

Offtopic: Here we go once again. Something reminds me of "Pelikan" and "blue-black". Edit: And that's all I say about that.

Edited by aeba

You do not have a right to post. You do not have a right to a lawyer. Do you understands these rights you do not have?

Kaweco Supra (titanium B), Al-Sport (steel BB).

Parker: Sonnet (dimonite); Frontier GT; 51 (gray); Vacumatic (amber).

Pelikan: m600 (BB); Rotring ArtPen (1,9mm); Rotring Rive; Cult Pens Mini (the original silver version), Waterman Carene (ultramarine F)

As long as Brussels supports mega-corporations through protective tariffs and regulation at the expense of the small manufacturer, there will never be a reliable supply of Noodler's Ink in the EU.

As long as national customs agents demand ink come labeled in European fluid measures instead of American weights, there will never be a reliable supply of Noodler's Ink in the EU.

As long as national customs agents can unilaterally increase the declared value of a shipment tenfold and attach importation fees based on this new value, there will never be a reliable supply of Noodler's Ink in the EU.

As long as governments can destroy incoming shipments that lack (proprietary) ingredient listings, there will never be a reliable supply of Noodler's Ink in the EU.

As long as governments can reject shipments for using components they arbitrarily declare as "toxic", "carcinogenic" or "non-authorized", there will never be a reliable supply of Noodler's Ink in the EU.

It used to be Noodler's Ink only had to be hand carried into places like China or Palestine. Now, it seems like hand carry in luggage is the only way to supply Europe as well.

Write your MP and let them know you, the consumer, can do your own research and determine whether you want to purchase a product. Tell your elected representatives that restrictive laws designed to allegedly protect your safety and coincidentally benefit big native producers, are neither required nor desired.

Well, I believe it's just that we europeans fo things differently. We cannot buy guns, no death penalty, ...

Edited by alc3261

+1 for Pure Pens, The Writing Desk & Cult Pens. I buy stationery from all three and each has thus far provided great reliable service. Have had an Ahab & a Konrad from Pure Pens.

Sounds like you have had some struggles with the EU personally. I don't know the details, but I sympathize with some of what you say, if not entirely :-)

Edited by alc3261

+1 for Pure Pens, The Writing Desk & Cult Pens. I buy stationery from all three and each has thus far provided great reliable service. Have had an Ahab & a Konrad from Pure Pens.

Pure pens looks good

1) As long as Brussels supports mega-corporations through protective tariffs and regulation at the expense of the small manufacturer, there will never be a reliable supply of Noodler's Ink in the EU.

2) As long as national customs agents demand ink come labeled in European fluid measures instead of American weights, there will never be a reliable supply of Noodler's Ink in the EU.

3) As long as national customs agents can unilaterally increase the declared value of a shipment tenfold and attach importation fees based on this new value, there will never be a reliable supply of Noodler's Ink in the EU.

4) As long as governments can destroy incoming shipments that lack (proprietary) ingredient listings, there will never be a reliable supply of Noodler's Ink in the EU.

5) As long as governments can reject shipments for using components they arbitrarily declare as "toxic", "carcinogenic" or "non-authorized", there will never be a reliable supply of Noodler's Ink in the EU.

6) It used to be Noodler's Ink only had to be hand carried into places like China or Palestine. Now, it seems like hand carry in luggage is the only way to supply Europe as well.

(quote amended to add my point numbers)

1. May be the case. Cannot argue for or against.
  2. Is it unreasonable to ask that the material is quantified in the units the purchaser is familiar with? No. Is it an expensive change for NI to make when making the label design in the first place to have the volume in fl oz and cc? No. So, for this objection NI is cutting off its nose to spite its face.
  3. Cannot comment. Seems the wrong agent may have been used, but not knowing the details it's impossible to comment.
  4. Health & Safety. It is a requirement in Europe that liquids have a list of contents to prove they are not hazardous. Reason being people exporting to Europe have frequently declared items safe when they contain toxic material. Also see 5 below. The materials are listed in quantity order, but never exact percentages. I can see there is a 'Proprietary data' issue with this, and it is a bit more contentious than marking with units understandable to the buyer, however if something as minor and inconsequential as 2) sticks in NI's craw, then I can see how this would - despite the fact that everyone else has to reveal the same data too, and NI would not be at a competitive disadvantage by being the only one forced to comply.
  5. The US and EU have similar, but not identical, published lists of toxic material. If the ingredients are on neither list then it's likely not to be unsafe. As for the fact the lists are not identical - is the gripe that the EU does not slavishly follow US regs? If so, think how parochial that seems from the EU, a trading area with a larger population and higher total GDP than the US. Furthermore, if the ingredients list is published on the bottle, and they are not on the list of banned items, the bottle cannot legally be destroyed, and NI could get compensation if it is.
  6. Hmm. See 4 & 5.

Regards,

Richard.

Edited by alc3261

(quote amended to add my point numbers)

1. May be the case. Cannot argue for or against.
  2. Is it unreasonable to ask that the material is quantified in the units the purchaser is familiar with? No. Is it an expensive change for NI to make when making the label design in the first place to have the volume in fl oz and cc? No. So, for this objection NI is cutting off its nose to spite its face.
  3. Cannot comment. Seems the wrong agent may have been used, but not knowing the details it's impossible to comment.
  4. Health & Safety. It is a requirement in Europe that liquids have a list of contents to prove they are not hazardous. Reason being people exporting to Europe have frequently declared items safe when they contain toxic material. Also see 5 below. The materials are listed in quantity order, but never exact percentages. I can see there is a 'Proprietary data' issue with this, and it is a bit more contentious than marking with units understandable to the buyer, however if something as minor and inconsequential as 2) sticks in NI's craw, then I can see how this would - despite the fact that everyone else has to reveal the same data too, and NI would not be at a competitive disadvantage by being the only one forced to comply.
  5. The US and EU have similar, but not identical, published lists of toxic material. If the ingredients are on neither list then it's likely not to be unsafe. As for the fact the lists are not identical - is the gripe that the EU does not slavishly follow US regs? If so, think how parochial that seems from the EU, a trading area with a larger population and higher total GDP than the US. Furthermore, if the ingredients list is published on the bottle, and they are not on the list of banned items, the bottle cannot legally be destroyed, and NI could get compensation if it is.
  6. Hmm. See 4 & 5.

Regards,

Richard.

Regarding items 2 and 4, I see many imported goods in the local supermarket with a laser printed sticky label giving the required EU data. Could be a cheap solution.
My personal preference is to see liquids given in ml, rather than mass. I can appreciate arguments for either method---e.g. volume for the consumer (not density dependent?), and mass for shipping. However, I think the salient point is that an ideal manufacturer, in my opinion, would want to sell goods in a manner that accommodates the working customs/culture/norms of the target market. And we work in volume here---it's not just a bureaucratic thing!
I don't know Chemyst's link to Noodler's Ink, but he/she seems to be speaking for them. From what Chemyst is saying, I rather think NI is losing out by taking a stand in this way. But this is all a non-issue if NI simply don't mind being limited to the USA. But I guess it's ink-lovers' loss in the end!
Edited by alc3261
Moderator's Note.

• 2 months later...

FWIW: after all that discussion above about political views etc...

I listened to an interview of Nathan Tardif (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-9FQzXhA) and to be honest, I got the impression his lack of export to the EU is mainly because he just doesn't have the capacity to do it. I sympathised with him for sure---I don't think I'd do any different in his position, except train up more staff!

From my understanding, Noodler's is limited to just Nathan himself due to the tax laws of his home state. That severely restricts his ability to meet demand, much less tackle the occasionally ridiculous amount of red tape regarding international distribution.

From my understanding, Noodler's is limited to just Nathan himself due to the tax laws of his home state. That severely restricts his ability to meet demand, much less tackle the occasionally ridiculous amount of red tape regarding international distribution.

Exactly, I can't see how he could start sending stuff overseas even if he wanted to, at his current workload.

Sounds like you have had some struggles with the EU personally. I don't know the details, but I sympathize with some of what you say, if not entirely :-)

...It might be worth bearing in mind, for those not familiar, that the UK is currently working towards a referendum on whether we should leave or remain in the EU. Some feelings are running high.

It's just a shame that fans in the UK and EU cannot easily access Noodlers excellent products. That's all we can say about that.

On topic - +1 for Writing desk & Purepens. The latter often stock Noodlers.