Hero Wing Sung 659 Questions - Baoer & Hero Suggestions, Too!

AndWhoDisguisedAs

I don't have any Pilot cartridges to try, but have been successfully using mine as an eyedropper for the last week.

If someone needs the included converter, I'm happy to mail mine off for the cost of shipping. I'm not using it! :)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flounder

• truthpil

• AndWhoDisguisedAs

• dcwaites

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been using my WS 659 as part of my EDC for the last week, it's been great. I wrote up some of my thoughts here, thought I'd share.

I find the Fine nib a little wider than the Metro's Fine, closer to the Metro's Medium. And the EF is pretty close to my Penmanship, though weirdly smooth (I prefer the Penmanship).

Thanks hellokloh for the two helpful reviews!

Have you had any issue with the pen being hard to start after having it capped for a while? I have Hero's and other Chinese pens where the cap seal isn't that good so the ink dries on the nib while the cap is on.

Thanks!

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Fantastic idea turning the Hero Wing Sung 659 into an eyedropper! My converter feel apart on the first cleaning. Like the Fine nib, will ink up the extra fine next and check it out.

Provided that its specific included converter, if broken, is not sold separately..I'm really worried.

The converter can be purchased separately in China. Sooner or later there will be sellers offering it for sale in eBay or other places.

I hope that refilled pilot cartridge could work.

if anyone has spare reusable ones..

try it many times and let us know if it's a suitable procedure ;)

Have the WS 659 transparent sets completely disappeared from eBay now - can't seem to find them anywhere?

Nope, jewelrymathematics aka YCPENS has 34 Clear w/ gold trim ( eBay item number: 231857947252) and 43 Clear w/ silver trim (331787472409)

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I hope that refilled pilot cartridge could work.

if anyone has spare reusable ones..

try it many times and let us know if it's a suitable procedure ;)

Yes, I have tried this for an upcoming review. I refilled an empty pilot cart with Diamine Presidential Blue, and the shallow cart-to nipple seal was perfectly ink tight over a lot of writing over the last few weeks. Flow was identical using the same ink in the supplied converter.

However only the F nib section allowed the cart to reach the nipple. The tolerances must be off on my EF section, as its internal diameter is too narrow for a Pilot cart to reach the nipple.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

However only the F nib section allowed the cart to reach the nipple. The tolerances must be off on my EF section, as its internal diameter is too narrow for a Pilot cart to reach the nipple.

I just pulled a cartridge out of my Frankenplumix (all Plumix parts, but from at least three different original pens) and shoved it in the EF section - shoved being the operative word, as it was not a gentle operation, but yet did not require a hammer. It makes a hairline of contact with the working bit of the section, but won't slip down over it - as if the inside diameter of the cart is not quite good enough. possibly fine sanding with something wrapped around a dowel, or extremely careful reaming with an Xacto knife will open that up juuuuuust enough to slide over that pillar-like cart nipple.

Currently I have no feed or nib in the Plumix - mystery, why did I take them out and where did they go? I pulled the nib and feed from the EF section and they pulled out with no trouble whatsoever. Looking at the end of the feed which is what the cart grabs onto it occurs to me that sanding that down a fraction is probably going to be easier than battling with the carts.

Of course in doing this the nib flew off under the desk somewhere. Everything I have touched recently has turned into the Bass in the Bassomatic. I will dig it out, get out the sandpaper, and report back on the mission...

Nope, jewelrymathematics aka YCPENS has 34 Clear w/ gold trim ( eBay item number: 231857947252) and 43 Clear w/ silver trim (331787472409)

Thanks, was looking using the eBay app on my iPad last night and it was having all sorts of problems, not showing any pens available from YCPens in fact. Found it ok now, thanks.

(edit: Peculiar, when you click See other Items or Visit shop for YCPens, it doesn't show any items for sale - this is on a Windows PC with Firefox browser. Searching ebay for Wing Sung 659 gives no hits either. Something is a bit amiss with his eBay listing...)

Edited by garyc

Thanks hellokloh for the two helpful reviews!

Have you had any issue with the pen being hard to start after having it capped for a while? I have Hero's and other Chinese pens where the cap seal isn't that good so the ink dries on the nib while the cap is on.

Thanks!

I haven't -- but I suspect having it eyedroppered makes everything run wetter. :)

In the slightly over one week I've been using it, I had issues with it starting after storing it, nib up, for a few hours. Perhaps that was the drying out you mentioned? It was fairly easy to restart though, just held the barrel in my hand, nib down for a few seconds (warms the ink, pushes it down, useful burping? haha).

Overall though, the cap seems to seal pretty well (perhaps because it's a Pilot design? It also fits by 78G) -- when I end up with ink in the cap from throwing it around in my backpack, the ink stays wet and blob-like.

Thanks, was looking using the eBay app on my iPad last night and it was having all sorts of problems, not showing any pens available from YCPens in fact. Found it ok now, thanks.

(edit: Peculiar, when you click See other Items or Visit shop for YCPens, it doesn't show any items for sale - this is on a Windows PC with Firefox browser. Searching ebay for Wing Sung 659 gives no hits either. Something is a bit amiss with his eBay listing...)

That's strange. Using Firefox and Opera on a mac, connected to either ebay.com or ebay.com.au, using the search term "wing sung 659" brings his listings straight away for me.

Which ebay site were you using? I sometimes find that some items show up on one, but not another.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

• 3 weeks later...

On the subject of Chinese pens that do NOT take standard international cartridges, I have a Wing Sung 500 that takes Parker cartridges. And the converter that came with it fits some of my Parker pens. I also note that Lamy cartridges fit some (but not all) of my Parker pens, so perhaps the 500 was meant for Lamy cartridges. The 500 in question had a brushed chrome look to the finish. I also have 500s painted red, green, and blue but their converters seem quite stuck in place. Many Wing Sungs have the "converter" glued in, so I have not been brave enough to pull really hard on these. For me the ability to use a cartridge is a significant plus as the converters do not hold much ink in my experience. The 500s seem much better than average for Chinese pens and a few are still left on eBay for $3-8.

I bought a Baoer 100 on a whim and have been surprisingly happy with it. It resemble the Parker 51 as a reference point and for the $9 I spent on it it's a great value. The biggest gripe is it is super sensitive to the sweet spot. If you miss it by just a bit you will get a super fine line or no line at all. That said - when help in the right spot it writes well - fast start every time and never skips.