Show Us Your Desk

AndyKeir

OK, so it might me a bit of a stretch to class a desk as "Paper and Pen Paraphernalia" but I was prompted by a post I just saw about an amazing desk and I was wondering what other FPN members might be using.
If this is the wrong place for such as post or there's already a similar topic (I looked but couldn't find anything) then moderators, please move/remove.

Anyway, this is my desk.

I would like to say that it's an heirloom which has been in the family for generations but the truth is that I picked it up a few weeks ago for $80 on Gumtree!

So ... post a picture of your desk ... but just make sure your credit card or anything secure isn't lying there in full view first though! :)

fpn_1453104298__desk2.jpg

Andy sang as he watched and waited 'til his billy boiled ...

(With apologies to Andrew Barton "Banjo" Paterson)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• mhguda

• Zookie

• AndyKeir

Wow, it´s lovely! I like how old desks could close and lock to protect your current work without you having to clean up or put things away.

Nice desk! I think there is a thread like this, but for the life of me, I can't remember which subforum it is in. Anyway, my desk is a plain, white drawing table and totally boring. I do have a lovely antique secretaire with a drop-down writing surface, but I have not been able to get a good picture of it.

Previous thread is here.

Ahhh ... thanks. I did a search for "desk picture" but nothing came up. I don't know why.

I wonder if perhaps this can be merged with the old thread?

Andy sang as he watched and waited 'til his billy boiled ...

(With apologies to Andrew Barton "Banjo" Paterson)

• 2 years later...

Well, I moved my desk around and did some tinkering. I put used left over inks to doodle on the scrap wood to make my new keyboard holder.

http://heismylawyer.com/2018-2/Potions/slides/2018-06-02_Potions_Cabinet-35.jpg

I did make sure to write down which inks I used.

http://heismylawyer.com/2018-2/Potions/slides/2018-06-02_Potions_Cabinet-36.jpg

And I love my keyboard.

http://heismylawyer.com/2018-2/Potions/slides/2018-06-02_Potions_Cabinet-34.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Well, I moved my desk around and did some tinkering. I put used left over inks to doodle on the scrap wood to make my new keyboard holder.

http://heismylawyer.com/2018-2/Potions/slides/2018-06-02_Potions_Cabinet-35.jpg

I did make sure to write down which inks I used.

http://heismylawyer.com/2018-2/Potions/slides/2018-06-02_Potions_Cabinet-36.jpg

And I love my keyboard.

http://heismylawyer.com/2018-2/Potions/slides/2018-06-02_Potions_Cabinet-34.jpg

What a nice keyboard! It looks like a typewriter keyboard

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Actually, I'm looking to buy a new desk. Right now I just use my dining room table as a desk, but it's not made for that. I would love to see more pictures of people's writing desks, especially if they really like their setup. I might buy a new one like that, if other people have already figured out the best sort of writing desk to use. When I went desk shopping recently, I discovered that furniture manufacturers don't really make desks for writing so much anymore. They're designed just for computers. But I want to do both computers, and handwriting.

My desk, about twenty years old, has a slide out panel for a keyboard. Over all, this makes the desk itself a little too high for writing or keyboard-on-desk comfort because that panel has to be high enough to clear your knees, so this means you can not raise the chair too high. When using a computer exclusively I would remove the panel then raise the chair and use a footstool for comfort (despite being above average height). Now, I have things lower and use the slide-out panel as a comfortable writing place, and most convenient storage for the journal and a couple of pens in a case.

X

What a nice keyboard! It looks like a typewriter keyboard

It's really nice.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

My desk, about twenty years old, has a slide out panel for a keyboard. Over all, this makes the desk itself a little too high for writing or keyboard-on-desk comfort because that panel has to be high enough to clear your knees, so this means you can not raise the chair too high. When using a computer exclusively I would remove the panel then raise the chair and use a footstool for comfort (despite being above average height). Now, I have things lower and use the slide-out panel as a comfortable writing place, and most convenient storage for the journal and a couple of pens in a case.

We'd love to see pictures.

We'd love to see pictures.

Thanks to extraordinary popular demand, we bring you two pictures of a desk. :)

Writing (ex-keyboard) panel open

fpn_1529367433__desk__296_1_of_2.jpg

Closed

fpn_1529367447__desk__297_2_of_2.jpg

Interesting snippets for fountain pen folks:

Journal is a Leuchtturm1917, of course. On it is an Omas 556/S, very recently brought back into operation after suffering severe general gumminess.

Left is my usual carry case, a Visconti two-pen which in the photo happens to contain an Aurora 88k and a modern Onoto Magna Classic

The small notebook is Moleskine in a Gfeller case, bulked up with a couple of bits of blotting paper.

X

Looks great!

A smaller photo is in my avatar. I will post a better one. The desk belonged to my maternal grandfather and was used in his plumbing business which he opened during the 1930's. I don't know the age of the desk, but I remember it being used throughout the 60's and 70's. Grandpa died in 1959 at age 61. I was just 13 months old. His son ran the business for many years until his son who is two years older than me took over. So between the 1930's and today it has been in the family. Three generations worth.

The desk is small - 22 x 44 and the knee hole is a scant 18 inches wide. It came to me in sometime between 1979 - 1981 if memory serves me correctly. It had been "antiqued" sometime in the 1960's. I stripped the paint off and stained it and then we had a piece of 1/4" gray glass that we had cut to size for the top. I have yet to find a chair that fit, but haven't looked particularly hard.I will probably have to look at vintage. The closest I have is a wooden chair from my kitchen set and the legs won't go under. It deserves to get more use than it does.

37870362365_0b07e0830e_k.jpg20170212_213802 by Brad Merrill, on Flickr

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I love it still.

That's a lovely desk and great story.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

This had been my mother in laws' desk. She gave it to me, and after stripping off multiple coats of paint, and some work on the finish, this is what I found underneath.

How lovely! So you had no idea the carving was there? A nice reward for the hard work of stripping layers of paint!

That is a beautiful desk. what a nice gift...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi