Montblanc's Service Levels

FredRydr

Can anyone share a description issued by Montblanc with the parameters of each of its service levels?

What does Level 1 cover? What does Level 2 cover, & etc. as to however many levels there are?

I ask because there are so many conflicting anecdotes about these service levels.

Fred

Edited by FredRydr

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yeepers

• Chrissy

• zaddick

• Nathanb

I don't think Montblanc has kind of standards for service levels .. Such tankards differ from a country to another !!!!!

Edited by ASL

Cheers - Amr S Laithy

Email: amrslaithy@gmail.com

Cairo Egypt

Why don't you email Montblanc direct and ask? service@montblanc.com

Or post on their Facebook page, which seems to be monitored regularly.

I once received an email from the then Customer Service Manager at Montblanc HQ UK advising the prices. These have probably increased now.

Our current flat rate for the fountain pen models Meisterstück LeGrand 146
and Meisterstück 149 made of precious resin are in our service center in
Hamburg, Germany as follows:

flat rate 1 -> GBP 44,00 incl. VAT
flat rate 2 -> GBP 63,00 incl. VAT
flat rate 3 -> is for nib exchange , 146 -> GBP 209,00 incl. VAT /

149 ->GBP 231,00 incl. VAT

Limited Editions have always be examined physical in our service center
first.

At the time I was also advised on the phone about what was included in each level, but it wasn't in the email. I remember level 2 includes everything except a nib and level 3 includes everything as well as a nib but I don't know exactly where level 1 stopped. If my memory serves me correctly there was mention of a clip and a nib being excluded from level 1. I know everything made from 'precious resin' was definitely included in level 1 if it needed replacement, and that includes a cap.

Solitaire models have different levels of charges as well although if they have to put things back to standard you can end up with a good deal.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

At flagship boutique in Dubai, they acknowledge existence of service levels but they deny that they replace any parts of the pen as a given in any.

I have just sent an email to the manager at the repair centre in Australia (Melbourne), will post up the reply once received.

Edit: received out of office, not back to the 25th!

I need to go the boutique to collect a couple of pens over the next couple of days, will ask then :)

Edited by Nathanb

Fred, You are right about the many different and conflicting reports.

Here is what I experienced as noted in a post in 2014 (by "top" I meant blind cap/snowflake):

#16 icon_share.pngcrescentfiller

Extremely Rare

• photo-36832.jpg?_r=1409514794
  • Member - Gold
  • gold_member.png
    bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 367 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 19:57

Hello all. I finally got around to sending my 149 in for a clip and top. The estimate came in quickly: $94 plus shipping, handling, and tax, for a total of $112.32.

However.... I cannot believe what they have done! When I called to inquire, I was told the barrel had a crack and the filler unit was worn out. Here is what they replaced:

WI Resin Service Flat Rate 2

Body, complete w/cone

Cap

Cap top

Clip

So, I said to the person at MB, It appears that the only thing left of my original pen is the nib. She said, "Yes, I believe so."

I am surprised, to say the least. I can hardly wait to see it and see how it works now.

I just looked at the price of a 149 at montblanc.com: $935.

That's some customer service program!

Best,

Daniel

Well I sent a 162 ( le grande rollerball ) in black with a vermeil cap because the threads had a crack across them length ways. This was to be covered under a service level one. Anway a received a call via the shop I submitted my pen through explaining that because that model had never been produced by MB they would not do any work on it until it was returned back to its original spec which was burgundy body, nose piece and snowcap. If I did not agree to this then it would be returned to me in its submitted state.

Fearing the worst I ask how much extra this would cost and the reply was " nothing at all extra just the standard charge for the thread replacement " . So when I got it back the only thing original was the gold plated cap :) result indeed !

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Received overnight from the service manager @ MB Australia

(very reasonable IMO)

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b558/nbendy1/MB%20service%20repair%20costs%20JAN%202016_zpsq0t1et9d.jpg

Edited by Nathanb

• 1 year later...

I asked at a boutique in Mumbai, INDIA, and the sales rep had no idea about different levels of service and essentially told me that it costs about $150 to do whatever. ?

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

Anything involving the nib pushes it immediately to Level 3 and that basically gets you a whole new pen as Level 3 encompasses everything in Levels 1 and 2.

Ask me how I know.

Also the costs for the different levels will differ according to the type of pen you send in. They have one cost structure for a "regular" resin bodied pen. Will be different for other pens so if you have a WE or LE that kind of thing will drive it into a different cost range.

For reference right now in Honolulu the cost for a Level 1 service is $99 + tax. A Level 3 service is $369 + tax. This is for a 149. And be aware that if you send your pen in expecting to only need a Level 1 service but they inspect it and find other things that "need fixing" they will not fix only the things you want fixed. It's all-or-nothing so in my case I either pay $369 or $40 to get the pen back still with a broken piston. Dammit.

Edited by yeepers

they will not fix only the things you want fixed. It's all-or-nothing so in my case I either pay $369 or $40 to get the pen back still with a broken piston. Dammit.

Wow, thats a problem

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

Anything involving the nib pushes it immediately to Level 3 and that basically gets you a whole new pen as Level 3 encompasses everything in Levels 1 and 2.

Ask me how I know.

Also the costs for the different levels will differ according to the type of pen you send in. They have one cost structure for a "regular" resin bodied pen. Will be different for other pens so if you have a WE or LE that kind of thing will drive it into a different cost range.

For reference right now in Honolulu the cost for a Level 1 service is $99 + tax. A Level 3 service is $369 + tax. This is for a 149. And be aware that if you send your pen in expecting to only need a Level 1 service but they inspect it and find other things that "need fixing" they will not fix only the things you want fixed. It's all-or-nothing so in my case I either pay $369 or $40 to get the pen back still with a broken piston. Dammit.

That is why I only send completely broken pens to MB. I salvage and good parts I can before they get to it. Last 149 I sent in has 0 parts that were not broken. :)

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Thats interesting if you see it from this perspective.

A new nib is $360 and includes a Level 3 Service.

So it would make sense if your pen needs any substantial repair to send it for a new nib, at least youll get that.

Anyone know where I can find a replacement 149 piston assembly? Because I'll darn well fix the damn thing myself!! I think my assessment of what needed replacing vs. what Montblanc considers needs replacing are quite different.

Edited by yeepers

Anyone know where I can find a replacement 149 piston assembly? Because I'll darn well fix the damn thing myself!! I think my assessment of what needed replacing vs. what Montblanc considers needs replacing are quite different.

You will try for and wait for a very long time and pay much more than Montblanc would charge you to do the job.

If you are referring to your 75th anniversary 149 pen, then it's a really simple task for Montblanc, as it's a modern pen, not a vintage pen with an old feed that is no longer manufactured.

Service level one: $90 ish in the US. Just tell them that you only want a level one service if you want to make sure they don't give you a brand new cap as well and charge you for a level two service.

For that you will receive new parts such as piston assembly, piston, feeder case and cone & barrel if required. Plus whatever else might be required. Your pen will look like it was when it was brand new. What's not to like about that for a service?

Ask me how I know.

:yikes: :yikes: :gaah: