During my ongoing search for the ideal insert to fill the "fauxdori" travelers notebook I'm making, ForestChoice landed on the radar. Here are the final conclusions, for anyone considering new notebooks.
ForestChoice Small Flex Notebook
3 1/2" x 5 1/2"
80 pages (lines, grid, or plain)
70gsm, soft cream color paper
Acid free, FSC certified (FSC = Forest Stewardship Council)
- Smooth, luxurious paper surface; a joy to write on
- Brings out shading
- Ink colors remain true
- No noticeable feathering
- Stitched binding, taped outer spine (durable)
- Nice, stiff kraft cardstock cover
- Same price as Field Notes (which I despise for fountain pen use)
- Slow to dry, but I'm planning to keep a J. Herbin blotting paper insert in the travelers journal as a bookmark anyway
- Show through is the significant (drats)
- Doesn't want to lie flat--need to hold open with one hand while writing with the other (true for nearly all, except the slightly taller Leuchtturm)
- Not sold in many places (I found them on pencils.com, on sale)
Overall, I really like this notebook; just wish show through wasn't such a problem.
Photos to help visualize my experience....
Here's the show through:
Overall, I really like the writing experience, but doubt I'll use this on trips---just can't afford to tote around anything that allows only 50% of the writing surface to be used.
Edited by PaperQueen, 14 January 2016 - 20:07.