Kwz Ink Iron-Gall Mandarin (Correct Version)

lgsoltek

Love the video.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lgsoltek

• escribo

• Cyber6

• Jamerelbe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I filled up with a KWZI Iron Gall red, wrote with it and left it, came back to it and it's darker (obviously) but still has a nice colour. So, I checked my ink logs and I've done all the KWZI logs with an EF which would account for the appearance. Note to self, if I get these inks again I must use at least a medium!

I too, have both versions of the Mandarin IG - I was sent the first colour that the OP reviewed and was initially disappointed because I did not get the burnt orange colour that I'd seen in other members' reviews. I wrote to Konrad and he sent me the correct one - excellent customer service and I look forward to ordering more IG inks from KWZI in the future. In the meantime, I've grown to appreciate the "incorrect" Mandarin IG and accept it on its own terms.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to necro post, but I've just found Vaness (referenced in another member's sig), and thereby KWZ Iron Gall Mandarin #1301. Is this the same ink we're talking about in this review? Appears to be, but I want to be absolutely sure, as the writing sample shown on the above Vaness' listing indicates that it should dry down to the precise brown I'm looking for.

Specifically, KWZ isn't exactly KWZI, and the "Correct" designation isn't the same as #1301.

Do I overthink? Yes I do. :rolleyes:

This review, for "KWZI Iron Gall Mandarin (Correct Version)"--is it the exact ink as that sold at Vaness as "KWZ Iron Gall Mandarin #1301?"

Do I repeat myself? <sigh> Yes. :wacko:

TIA

Edited by escribo

I may not have been much help, but I DID bump your thread up to the top.

Yes, it should be the same. I've seen other references to KWZI as "KWZ". And the number may be an inventory number (I seem to recall a thread a while back where there was a spreadsheet of what the original #s were, and what the inventory numbers were for each ink that was in current production).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Sorry to necro post, but I've just found Vaness (referenced in another member's sig), and thereby KWZ Iron Gall Mandarin #1301. Is this the same ink we're talking about in this review? Appears to be, but I want to be absolutely sure, as the writing sample shown on the above Vaness' listing indicates that it should dry down to the precise brown I'm looking for.

Specifically, KWZ isn't exactly KWZI, and the "Correct" designation isn't the same as #1301.

Do I overthink? Yes I do. :rolleyes:

This review, for "KWZI Iron Gall Mandarin (Correct Version)"--is it the exact ink as that sold at Vaness as "KWZ Iron Gall Mandarin #1301?"

Do I repeat myself? <sigh> Yes. :wacko:

TIA

Yes, it should be the same. I've seen other references to KWZI as "KWZ". And the number may be an inventory number (I seem to recall a thread a while back where there was a spreadsheet of what the original #s were, and what the inventory numbers were for each ink that was in current production).

KWZI is just short for KWZ Ink. I always spell out the long version in my review titles.

This is indeed iron-gall Mandarin. Here it is noted "correct version" because in the beginning I reviewed a sample that was wrongly labelled (the link to the review of the wrong one can be found at the beginning of this review). Mrs KWZI noticed the error and sent me the correct one, which is reviewed here.

Thanks, Ruth :)

As it turns out, we both could have saved ourselves some typing--I couldn't wait, so I pulled the trigger right before seeing an email notice that my question had been answered. :yikes: (I also bought a bottle of Akkerman IG ink--the bottle is very cool--while I was there.)

Well, in my best Max Smart imitation: "Sorry about that." But hey, GTSY again anyway. :D

^esc

oops

Edited by escribo

oops

temporary FPN stoppage or network error at my end

Perhaps with all this IG ink I might need more 14K nibs

Edited by escribo

KWZI is just short for KWZ Ink. I always spell out the long version in my review titles.

This is indeed iron-gall Mandarin. Here it is noted "correct version" because in the beginning I reviewed a sample that was wrongly labelled (the link to the review of the wrong one can be found at the beginning of this review). Mrs KWZI noticed the error and sent me the correct one, which is reviewed here.

Ahh.. I see. Thanks for the clarification.

• 3 years later...

I've really fallen for KWZI iron gall inks lately. I've got a sample of IG Mandarin, and will be getting a full bottle shortly -- along with a full bottle of IG Gummiberry and IG Red #3. These will join my bottles of IG Turquoise and IG Green #1. :D Beautiful colors, good behavior, water resistance, really inexpensive, and they smell like cream soda. Wonderful stuff, truly.

One of these years I should try a sample of IG Orange and see how it compares to IG Mandarin (which I really should put into a pen again... I love the color it oxidizes to).

In rereading this old thread, I'm now wondering whether there is a comparison out there between what the OP originally had vs. "correct" IG Mandarin....

I'm not as enamored of IG Turquoise as thudwacker, but I think in part that's because I was looking for a replacement for FPN member Pharmacist's old Turkish Nights (that was the first IG Ink I tried that wasn't a blue-black) and I'm waffling between hoarding it and using it before that small plastic bottle goes bad on me...). But +1 on IG Gummiberry (and I say that as also being a huge fan of IG Violet #3).

Have not tried IG Green #1 but like IG Green #3. I've been curious about IG Red #3 (didn't like the blood red color that IG Red #1 oxidized to, and would love to see a side by side between the two).

ETA: Just looked at the link for the mislabeled IG Mandarin. Interesting color, but definitely NOT IG Mandarin.

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

One of these years I should try a sample of IG Orange and see how it compares to IG Mandarin (which I really should put into a pen again... I love the color it oxidizes to).

Hi Ruth, I might be able to help out a bit, as I recently got my bottle of IG Orange. Potato quality due to old crappy phone but you get an idea and it's better than nothing :)

mandarinvsorange.jpg

I'm not sure I got a 100% correct IG Orange. It's not really orange as it goes down, but a warm orangy brown and it soon oxidizes to the dark, cool brown you see above. I still love it but it's not really what I was expecting, there's a video review on YT that clearly shows the ink is ORANGE as it touches the paper, and the final color is much milder.

Nice Thanks!

Any chance of comparing this mandarin with KWZI Aztc Gold IGL?

I don't have both with me (they are separated by two continents). But perhaps you can compare them indirectly via Honey: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/316124-kwz-ink-iron-gall-light-aztec-gold/

@ Eclipse157 -- Thanks. Hmmm. IG Orange seems to oxidize to a darker brown/sepia. Interesting.

@Lgsoltek -- Thanks for posting the link. I'll check that out. I think I have a sample of at least one of the golds kicking around, but I'll have to go through the index files for my ink test logs to see which ones I've actually tried (because I don't remember now which (if any) of them were the IG vs. standard inks.

Any chance of comparing this mandarin with KWZI Aztc Gold IGL?

I've written a couple of lines each with those two KWZI inks here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/351047-water-resistance-of-some-iron-gall-inks-compared/

with the writing samples right next to each other on the same piece of paper, but it's certainly no ink comparison in Lgsoltek's style.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.