The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Kwz Ink Iron-Gall Mandarin (Correct Version)

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,462 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2016 - 07:05

I already have a review of this ink: http://www.fountainp...-gall-mandarin/

But turns out that something's wrong with my sample. Konrad and Agnieszka read my comparison of "gold" inks and noticed the mistake. They kindly sent me a correct sample (along with several other inky surprises  :D).

So this is the correct version of this ink. It writes down as an orange and dries to this colour. 

I like both versions. 

Splash

fpn_1452668492__kwzi-ig-mandarin-real-sp

Sample

The water test was taken less than 2 hours later. I suppose it'd be much more water resistant if I took the test later.

fpn_1452668540__kwzi-ig-mandarin-real.jp

Sponsored Content

#2 migo984

migo984

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,765 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 07:19

I'm now not sure if my recent bottle is correct! It looks somewhere between the two.
The vagaries of scans, monitors & all the writing stuff variables I guess :-)

Verba volant, scripta manent

#3 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2016 - 08:18

Nice review.

#4 mehandiratta

mehandiratta

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,775 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:45

well yes this looks closer to the mandarin sample they sent me... nice review...

vaibhav mehandiratta                               

architect & fountain pen connoisseur 

blog | instagram | twitter

#5 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 6,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2016 - 17:58

Another superb KWZI ink.... KWZI is the only one doing amazing colors in Iron Gall inks...  B)  B)

C. 

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

#6 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 9,535 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2016 - 19:11

oooooo nice.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#7 penswordnoassemblyrequired

penswordnoassemblyrequired

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2016 - 19:31

Very pretty.

#8 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,844 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2016 - 22:39

I have this in a Fine nibbed pen at the moment - which is also a bit of a dry writer.  Don't get me wrong, I still like it, but it varies from a pleasant brown to a slightly-less-appealing yellowish brown.  The italic handwriting in this post looks great, and has me wanting to swap it into a broader nib!

A question for the more experienced: I'm only on my first cartridge converter fill, but my (maybe flawed) recognition is that the ink was originally a brighter orange that went brown on the page, whereas now it's an orange-brown that just goes a bit darker.  Does this ink oxidise a little, even in the cartridge converter, or am I imagining things?

#9 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,462 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2016 - 22:49

I have this in a Fine nibbed pen at the moment - which is also a bit of a dry writer.  Don't get me wrong, I still like it, but it varies from a pleasant brown to a slightly-less-appealing yellowish brown.  The italic handwriting in this post looks great, and has me wanting to swap it into a broader nib!

A question for the more experienced: I'm only on my first cartridge converter fill, but my (maybe flawed) recognition is that the ink was originally a brighter orange that went brown on the page, whereas now it's an orange-brown that just goes a bit darker.  Does this ink oxidise a little, even in the cartridge converter, or am I imagining things?

I believe the IG inks do oxidise in the converter. If I'm allowed to quote what Agnieszka told me in her email:

"...IG Gold, IG Mandarin and also IG Orange... These 3 inks are the more sensitive for the oxidation than most of our IG inks, as you probably noticed using IG Gold. When you put the fresh ink to your pen it is very light at the beginning of writing, but when you leave it in a pen for some time (eg. a week or so) the color at the beginning of writing is bit darker comparing to the fresh one. Also even slight darkening have very big effect on perception of color in case of yellow-orange inks. The final color after drying is the same. It occurs because the pens are not hermetic and the oxygen gets inside..."

#10 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,844 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2016 - 23:35

I believe the IG inks do oxidise in the converter. If I'm allowed to quote what Agnieszka told me in her email:

"...IG Gold, IG Mandarin and also IG Orange... These 3 inks are the more sensitive for the oxidation than most of our IG inks, as you probably noticed using IG Gold. When you put the fresh ink to your pen it is very light at the beginning of writing, but when you leave it in a pen for some time (eg. a week or so) the color at the beginning of writing is bit darker comparing to the fresh one. Also even slight darkening have very big effect on perception of color in case of yellow-orange inks. The final color after drying is the same. It occurs because the pens are not hermetic and the oxygen gets inside..."

Thanks for that - it confirms my suspicions. Still a great ink - I just hope it doesn't oxidise too much in the bottle...

#11 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• 6,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2016 - 23:37

Yep... that was my understanding too....  Iron Gall inks start oxidizing as soon as they interact with Oxygen.   My bottles that are half way (more air inside) are darker than my fresh bottles.  It doesn't bother me, since when talking Iron Galls, you need to love the end color. 

I do love those murky browns and dark blues..  :wub: :wub:

C.

**** BauerInks.ca ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

#12 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,688 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2016 - 01:50

Soon to be Mrs. KWZI (Agnieszka and NOT Cyber6) knows her inks. Well, Cyber6 knows her inks (and mine, and Konrad's) too, but Cyber6 is not Mrs. KWZI. 

Thanks for another great review.  

LG, I'd love to see the original bottle and this compared.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#13 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,844 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2016 - 01:51

Yep... that was my understanding too....  Iron Gall inks start oxidizing as soon as they interact with Oxygen.   My bottles that are half way (more air inside) are darker than my fresh bottles.  It doesn't bother me, since when talking Iron Galls, you need to love the end color. 

I do love those murky browns and dark blues..  :wub: :wub:

Thanks Cyber6, and another question if I may: my KWZ inks (sourced from Massdrop) all arrived with the bottles wrapped in multiple layers of cling wrap. Should I bother storing them that way, or should the air seal on the bottle lids suffice? [Please forgive my ignorance, I'm new to IG inks!]

#14 white_lotus

white_lotus

Caution: Absinthe Distiller with Ink

• 2,693 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2016 - 03:41

What KWZ ink in the regular line is similar to this? Is there one?

#15 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,462 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2016 - 04:36

Soon to be Mrs. KWZI (Agnieszka and NOT Cyber6) knows her inks. Well, Cyber6 knows her inks (and mine, and Konrad's) too, but Cyber6 is not Mrs. KWZI. 

Thanks for another great review.  

LG, I'd love to see the original bottle and this compared.

Oh the original is not from a bottle. It's just a wrong sample.

#16 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,688 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:39

What KWZ ink in the regular line is similar to this? Is there one?

This should be for sale at Vaness.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#17 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,844 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:16

Went back to my new bottle of KWZ IG Mandarin earlier this afternoon, stuck a cotton tip in, swabbed some of the ink onto a page of Rhodia paper, and filmed the colour changing with my camera.  The following are 3 screen captures (cropped down for size), taken about 20s apart:

vlcsnap-2016-01-14-22h01m16s065.png

vlcsnap-2016-01-14-22h03m37s098.png

vlcsnap-2016-01-14-22h04m59s297.png

As you can see, the ink in the bottle is still pretty orange - while the ink in my pen is probably somewhere between colours 1 and 2 above.  

#18 Uncial

Uncial

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,353 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:35

I loved this ink that I got as a sample. When it went on the page it had a vibrancy and subtlety all at once but over time it died down to a fairly boring brown with a hint of grey. I have had four other KWZI iron gall inks and they have all gone to the same rather flat colour. Maybe it's the paper I used (Rhodia) but I was a little disappointed. Did I do something wrong?

#19 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• 6,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2016 - 18:32

Thanks Cyber6, and another question if I may: my KWZ inks (sourced from Massdrop) all arrived with the bottles wrapped in multiple layers of cling wrap. Should I bother storing them that way, or should the air seal on the bottle lids suffice? [Please forgive my ignorance, I'm new to IG inks!]

The multiple layers of cling wrap is part of the ninja-wrapping provided by Konrad/Agnieszka.   :D

If they are going to storage, there is no need to remove the cling wrap.  But in case you remove the cling wrap, the sealed cap should be enough.  In any case, once you open, you can expect some oxidizing to come along.   It affects the lighter Iron Galls the most (orange, mandarin, gold).. the Green/Blues and Violets are more resilient.

Again, my suggestion when buying Iron Gall inks, is to love the oxidize color... because that's the one you will see on your notebooks for years to come.   :wub:  :wub:

C. 

**** BauerInks.ca ****

#20 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• 6,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2016 - 18:35

Video of KWZI Iron Gall Orange..

**** BauerInks.ca ****

Sponsored Content

|