Kwz Ink Iron-Gall Mandarin (Correct Version)

lgsoltek

I already have a review of this ink: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/298112-kwz-ink-iron-gall-mandarin/

But turns out that something's wrong with my sample. Konrad and Agnieszka read my comparison of "gold" inks and noticed the mistake. They kindly sent me a correct sample (along with several other inky surprises :D).

So this is the correct version of this ink. It writes down as an orange and dries to this colour.

I like both versions.

Splash

fpn_1452668492__kwzi-ig-mandarin-real-sp

Sample

The water test was taken less than 2 hours later. I suppose it'd be much more water resistant if I took the test later.

fpn_1452668540__kwzi-ig-mandarin-real.jp

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lgsoltek

• escribo

• Cyber6

• Jamerelbe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm now not sure if my recent bottle is correct! It looks somewhere between the two.

The vagaries of scans, monitors & all the writing stuff variables I guess :-)

Verba volant, scripta manent

oooooo nice.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I have this in a Fine nibbed pen at the moment - which is also a bit of a dry writer. Don't get me wrong, I still like it, but it varies from a pleasant brown to a slightly-less-appealing yellowish brown. The italic handwriting in this post looks great, and has me wanting to swap it into a broader nib!

A question for the more experienced: I'm only on my first cartridge converter fill, but my (maybe flawed) recognition is that the ink was originally a brighter orange that went brown on the page, whereas now it's an orange-brown that just goes a bit darker. Does this ink oxidise a little, even in the cartridge converter, or am I imagining things?

I have this in a Fine nibbed pen at the moment - which is also a bit of a dry writer. Don't get me wrong, I still like it, but it varies from a pleasant brown to a slightly-less-appealing yellowish brown. The italic handwriting in this post looks great, and has me wanting to swap it into a broader nib!

A question for the more experienced: I'm only on my first cartridge converter fill, but my (maybe flawed) recognition is that the ink was originally a brighter orange that went brown on the page, whereas now it's an orange-brown that just goes a bit darker. Does this ink oxidise a little, even in the cartridge converter, or am I imagining things?

I believe the IG inks do oxidise in the converter. If I'm allowed to quote what Agnieszka told me in her email:

"...IG Gold, IG Mandarin and also IG Orange... These 3 inks are the more sensitive for the oxidation than most of our IG inks, as you probably noticed using IG Gold. When you put the fresh ink to your pen it is very light at the beginning of writing, but when you leave it in a pen for some time (eg. a week or so) the color at the beginning of writing is bit darker comparing to the fresh one. Also even slight darkening have very big effect on perception of color in case of yellow-orange inks. The final color after drying is the same. It occurs because the pens are not hermetic and the oxygen gets inside..."

I believe the IG inks do oxidise in the converter. If I'm allowed to quote what Agnieszka told me in her email:

"...IG Gold, IG Mandarin and also IG Orange... These 3 inks are the more sensitive for the oxidation than most of our IG inks, as you probably noticed using IG Gold. When you put the fresh ink to your pen it is very light at the beginning of writing, but when you leave it in a pen for some time (eg. a week or so) the color at the beginning of writing is bit darker comparing to the fresh one. Also even slight darkening have very big effect on perception of color in case of yellow-orange inks. The final color after drying is the same. It occurs because the pens are not hermetic and the oxygen gets inside..."

Thanks for that - it confirms my suspicions. Still a great ink - I just hope it doesn't oxidise too much in the bottle...

Yep... that was my understanding too.... Iron Gall inks start oxidizing as soon as they interact with Oxygen. My bottles that are half way (more air inside) are darker than my fresh bottles. It doesn't bother me, since when talking Iron Galls, you need to love the end color.

I do love those murky browns and dark blues.. :wub: :wub:

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Soon to be Mrs. KWZI (Agnieszka and NOT Cyber6) knows her inks. Well, Cyber6 knows her inks (and mine, and Konrad's) too, but Cyber6 is not Mrs. KWZI.

Thanks for another great review.

LG, I'd love to see the original bottle and this compared.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Yep... that was my understanding too.... Iron Gall inks start oxidizing as soon as they interact with Oxygen. My bottles that are half way (more air inside) are darker than my fresh bottles. It doesn't bother me, since when talking Iron Galls, you need to love the end color.

I do love those murky browns and dark blues.. :wub: :wub:

Thanks Cyber6, and another question if I may: my KWZ inks (sourced from Massdrop) all arrived with the bottles wrapped in multiple layers of cling wrap. Should I bother storing them that way, or should the air seal on the bottle lids suffice? [Please forgive my ignorance, I'm new to IG inks!]

Soon to be Mrs. KWZI (Agnieszka and NOT Cyber6) knows her inks. Well, Cyber6 knows her inks (and mine, and Konrad's) too, but Cyber6 is not Mrs. KWZI.

Thanks for another great review.

LG, I'd love to see the original bottle and this compared.

Oh the original is not from a bottle. It's just a wrong sample.

What KWZ ink in the regular line is similar to this? Is there one?

This should be for sale at Vaness.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Went back to my new bottle of KWZ IG Mandarin earlier this afternoon, stuck a cotton tip in, swabbed some of the ink onto a page of Rhodia paper, and filmed the colour changing with my camera. The following are 3 screen captures (cropped down for size), taken about 20s apart:

post-108160-0-16058700-1452770055_thumb.png

post-108160-0-27772100-1452770105_thumb.png

post-108160-0-25427200-1452770135_thumb.png

As you can see, the ink in the bottle is still pretty orange - while the ink in my pen is probably somewhere between colours 1 and 2 above.

I loved this ink that I got as a sample. When it went on the page it had a vibrancy and subtlety all at once but over time it died down to a fairly boring brown with a hint of grey. I have had four other KWZI iron gall inks and they have all gone to the same rather flat colour. Maybe it's the paper I used (Rhodia) but I was a little disappointed. Did I do something wrong?

Thanks Cyber6, and another question if I may: my KWZ inks (sourced from Massdrop) all arrived with the bottles wrapped in multiple layers of cling wrap. Should I bother storing them that way, or should the air seal on the bottle lids suffice? [Please forgive my ignorance, I'm new to IG inks!]

The multiple layers of cling wrap is part of the ninja-wrapping provided by Konrad/Agnieszka. :D

If they are going to storage, there is no need to remove the cling wrap. But in case you remove the cling wrap, the sealed cap should be enough. In any case, once you open, you can expect some oxidizing to come along. It affects the lighter Iron Galls the most (orange, mandarin, gold).. the Green/Blues and Violets are more resilient.

Again, my suggestion when buying Iron Gall inks, is to love the oxidize color... because that's the one you will see on your notebooks for years to come. :wub: :wub:

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,