The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Help Identifying A Few Pens

identifying identification help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MrPatrick1207

MrPatrick1207

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2016 - 06:54

I've recently bought all the vintage fountain pens in Phoenix, and I don't mean that as an exaggeration because there are very few antique shops around and I've cleaned them all out. Out of all the pens I purchased 2 of them I can not identify even through exhaustive googling. I've attached pictures so I could get some help identifying these pens. The red pen came in a set along with a ballpoint and has the word "REXPEN" written on the barrel which I've found to be related to Parker but that's as much information as I've found. The black pen came with a Mont Blanc cartridge inside, but bears no other markings relating It to the brand. Thanks in advance, any help would be appreciated! Both nibs say iridium point Germany.

Attached Images

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

Edited by MrPatrick1207, 13 January 2016 - 06:55.

Sponsored Content

#2 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,155 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2016 - 14:17

Both look like advertising level Chinese pens.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#3 MrPatrick1207

MrPatrick1207

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2016 - 16:17

Both look like advertising level Chinese pens.

Why would Chinese pens have supposedly German made nibs? I would think that it would be cheaper to just make cheap Chinese nibs.

#4 zwack

zwack

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2016 - 16:38

Many cheap chinese nibs say things like "Iridium point Germany" they are merely telling you that the tipping material is from Germany. It is pretty common. The two tone nib on the black pen looks identical to some (satisfactory) cheap chinese nibs on some kit pens I have.

#5 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,155 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2016 - 18:57

Why would Chinese pens have supposedly German made nibs? I would think that it would be cheaper to just make cheap Chinese nibs.

Often the "Iridium Tip Germany" does not even mean the tipping material came from Germany.  Don't believe everything you read.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#6 zwack

zwack

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2016 - 00:11

Often the "Iridium Tip Germany" does not even mean the tipping material came from Germany.  Don't believe everything you read.

My understanding is that was the original excuse for them saying "Iridium point Germany".  Now the tipping material may well not be iridium, and the source may not be Germany, but they say that because that is what the nibs that their equipment produces say.  You wouldn't want them to have to change their equipment would you?.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: identifying, identification, help

Sponsored Content

|