J. Herbin 1670 Inks, What Pens To Use?

dragonmanus

So I have J. Herbin's 1670 series "bleu Ocean" (with shimmer),"Stormy Grey", and "Emerald of Chivor" but I'm only seeing a glimpse of the beauty I know they can produce. Looking for suggestions of a cheaper pen that I can buy (ideally $40or less) that will bring out the shimmer, and the variations and shading of these wonderful inks. I really only have two papers for use, Claire fontaine Triumphe, and HP Laser Paper.

I've tried a noodlerl Ahab, though mine is broken and replacement is on the way, it did very poorly with these inks as far as showing them off. I can leave it nib down and write entirely in gold, for a while, but that is about it.

I also have following pens:

Jinhao x450 (M & Fine)

jinhao 250 (m)

baoer 388 (M)

Noodlers "charlie"

jinhao 599 & 599a (m nibs)

Pilot Metro F nib

and the noodlers artists nib pack on the way.

any help bringing out the beauty of these inks is greatly appreciated. Perhaps if I can make these perform correctly I'll complete the set with "Rouge Hematite"

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dragonmanus

• sakayume

• LuckyKate

• Jubejubilee

I would suggest a Lamy Al-Star, or Safari, with a broad nib. The larger nib will allow the colors more "room" to work. You could also order other nib sizes and swap them out, as the nibs are incredibly easy to change. Good luck in your search, and welcome to the madness! ;)

I'm using Emerald of Chivor in a Prera CM nib at the moment, usually on Midori MD paper. I don't see a lot of shimmer most of the time, or shading, but I do get lots of sheen.

IMG_0779.JPG

Edited by candide

I was once a bottle of ink, Inky Dinky Thinky Inky, Blacky Minky Bottle of Ink!

Thanks for the suggestion. Going to try a broad nib on a jinhao soon as it arrives. Seems my hobbies are a bit eclectic. Guns, Records, Fountain pens, and anime. Perhaps I am going mad. :lol: Thanks for the suggestion.

You could consider changing your paper too - like getting something with a coating on it so that the sheen can fully show through. Tomoe River would be a good choice.

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

You could consider changing your paper too - like getting something with a coating on it so that the sheen can fully show through. Tomoe River would be a good choice.

~Epic

+1

I have seen too many reviews that say their Emerald "does not have any red," but using TR allows that ink to shine. I keep a M Lamy Al-Star filled with it, it is perfect. I hope your broad nib arrives soon and helps that ink shine.

A Lamy Safari or Al-Star with a 1.5 or 1.9 stub nib is lots of fun with those inks! I like Tomoe River paper too.

I have all the 1670 inks and I use them in a TWSBI Eco with the 1.1 stub nib and they work very well together.

Very wide nibs such as stubs and italics are best to bring out the shimmer, together with very smooth paper that allow ink to pool. You also want to write at variable speeds and slow down towards the end of a stroke. These all allow ink pooling.

My favorite pen to use with these inks are the 2.4mm nib Pilot Parallels. Fill empty cartridges with the ink using a syringe, and see magic happen. The other reason why the Pilot Parallels are awesome is that they can be taken apart pretty easily for a good thorough cleaning.

Edited by gerigo

As other's say, paper is a huge factor in getting sheen out of those inks. My personal favorite paper for sheen is onionskin paper. As far as pens go, my one of my favorites to put Emerald of Chivor into is an eyedroppered clear Kaweco sport classic with a BB nib. The nib is super wet, which lets the ink really shine, and the clear body lets you see the ink sloshing around inside. It's a ton of fun.

"Oh deer."

I have all the 1670 inks and I use them in a TWSBI Eco with the 1.1 stub nib and they work very well together.

Thanks, I had considered the TWSBI pens for their italic nibs, but after their horrible customer support, and wasting 5 dollars shipping one of their inkwells back that they didn't even fix, I won't be buying any TWSBI products in the future. already cancelled my order for a demonstrator 580 after that experience.

I have experimented with Emerald of Chivor and found it difficult to get a lot of sheen even with a juicy music nib - until I tried it on the thin Midori paper (similar to TR paper). On that paper I get a ton of red sheen even with a medium nib.

Edited by john74

I don't have Emerald of Chivor (don't like the underlying color) but I have both Stormy Grey and a sample of the reformulated Bleu Ocean. I've used them both in an older Pelikan M100 with a 1 mm stub to good advantage. And I've used the original version of Rouge Hematite (the version with the big gold flakes) in a cheap Chinese pen with a fude calligraphy nib (fude nibs have the tips sweeping upwards).

Remember that the bottles need to be shaken well before filling the pens to re-distribute the particles evenly while in suspension, and that the pen(s) should be agitated every little while while in use.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Emerald of Chivor is the only ink that seems to make my Noodler's Ahab feel nice. And it really makes it feel suuuuper nice and smooth. It's almost a shame... ;)

Edit: By the way hello everyone, first post here. Been a little more obsessed about fountain pens lately so I decided to register an account at last. Nice to meet you all! --Dan

Edited by Jubejubilee

One of my favorite pen and inks is Stormy Grey with my Pelikan white tortoise 600--it has a BB nib that's now a 1.1 CI.

I always use a syringe to fill. I shake the bottle, get the syringe in asap, and fill the barrel of the pen. This assures a good mix of gold and grey (also keeps ink from getting in the threads). I really like it!

The Japanese pens usually have pressure fit nibs and feeds. While I'm not in favor of disassembling on a regular basis, since you are using inks with pigments, you can be sure these pens will make it possible to scrub out any clogging (use an extra soft tootbrush!).

I too have E o C in my Eco 1.1 and it depends on the paper. I wrote in my webbie and not much going on there. In the TWSBI notebook the shimmer and red sheening show very easily.

I would only use shimmer inks in fully disassemblable pens for cleaning purposes.

Edited by I like mango cheesecake

The nib size makes sense. I saw the green sheen with Rouge Hematite in a Visconti with a stub nib (1.3 mm). But in a Pilot MR with medium nib, the same ink wasn't special like it can be. Now the green sheen wasn't everywhere, but I saw some of it on an envelope.

When I try out Emerald of Chivor, I'll use my bluegreen Al-Star with a 1.5mm nib.

I got a letter, and the Stormy Grey really wowed. A lot of the writing shimmered in a gold tint. I hoped to see if she identified the pen she used, but she did not.

Posted Image