R.i.p. Noodler's Iraqi Indigo / Violet Vote

tonybelding

. . . you will be missed. . .

I didn't see the notice until today, but according to the Pendemonium website, Eternal Brown and Violet Vote were discontinued back in August. The dye components used to produce these inks are no longer available from the chemical companies! (The other popular exclusive from Pendemonium, Legal Lapis, remains available.)

I doubt whether anybody will miss Eternal Brown all that much. (Noodler's Texas Pecan is vastly superior anyhow, IMHO.) Violet Vote, on the other hand. . . That was a classic ink. It was unique. Not only was it a distinctive color that you'd never mistake for any other ink, but it was also the single most trouble-free of all the 100% "bulletproof" inks that I ever tested -- even more so than Noodler's Black!

Now Violet Vote will join the roster of other great lost inks, with the likes of Parker Penman Sapphire and Private Reserve Invincible Black.

I still have about 3/4 bottle here. Obviously I'll be rationing that out with care.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mge01park

• tonybelding

• amberleadavis

• white_lotus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh bummer.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

It comes into rotation periodically ... Sad to see it gone for purchase. Love the color when wet!

Oh (bleep).

Iraqi Indigo is the only non-Waterman ink I'll let near any of my vintage pens. Only use in one Parker '51' Special. It is a joy in that pen and many of my inexpensive Pilots. Works well even with sometimes dilution and is one usually listed as my desert island ink. Love the color, waterproof, free flow.... And I'd get to take that Parker I use as a daily writer. I'm happy to sign some important documents with it and oft use for letter writing.

Did grab a second bottle in the last couple years so likely have enough for my lifetime.

Bother

Aw. I'm glad I was able to get a bottle of Violet Vote when I did. I probably have 95% of it left, so will also be rationing accordingly.

I haven't used Violet Vote in years, but it was one of my favorites, along with Legal Lapis, when I first started using fountain pens in 2008. Sorry to hear it's no longer available. Still wish I could have gotten a bottle with the Iraqi Indigo label.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

I agree that Violet Vote was a classic, and is still my very favorite Noodler's due to its performance and temperment. I intentially took VV with me to Baghdad, Iraq during my military deployment in 2010, and this ink holds special memories for me. It will be missed.

My three favorite inks are legal lapis, violet vote, and bulletproof black - all by Noodlers. I'll miss violet vote.

Perhaps Pendemonium could bring back the PERIWINKLE varient. It has the same good properties in pens, is a bit bluer, is bulletproof, and apparently doesn't require the unavailable dye.

Maybe if enough of us ask?

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Octo

I had never tried this one, sucks it was discontinued. I'm glad to see Legal Lapis isn't being discontinued, it's my favorite ink. I think might have to buy a few bottles to stock pile.

Edited by Legal Eagle

Current Favourites

Pen- Pilot Custom 74

Ink- J.Herbin Emerald of Chivor

Unfortunately if they cant get the dyes then I dont see there being much that they can do about it.

Iraqi Indigo/Violet Vote is one of the first two Noodler's inks I bought (the other being Legal Lapis).

Fortunately I still have enough.

update. . . Today I was digging through some old cabinets trying to find some old ink bottles that I thought I remembered having. What I stumbled across instead was a brand new-in-box, unopened bottle of Violet Vote. That's in addition to the 3/4 full bottle I already had. So, it looks like I'm in good shape for A While. :D

WOO HOO!!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 4 weeks later...

Just checking if the Iraqi Indigo is the same as Violet Vote. I just realized that I had a fairly new bottle. I inked an Ahab and it's real nice. I'm trying to post a photo of the bottle that I located but finding it impossible to figure it how. Thanks all.

Edited by mgepark

For those who may be interested, there is a special limited edition run of Noodler's Violet Vote now available. I see it at Anderson Pens and Goulet Pens. It's a bit more expensive than the original, I presume they had to use a more expensive dye, or pay for a special, limited production of the dye. But whatever it is, it's around now. Not sure how long it will last.

I've ordered mine.

Well Goulet's is out of stock actually. Not sure when it got posted to their site.

Their picture shows a glass bottle. Anderson Pen's doesn't have a picture so I can't say definitively.

Thanks for the info, I was thinking Goulet because I saw it in their blog but now ordered mine from Anderson and added the new Montblanc Golden Yellow bottled ink and an Anderson #6 nib in broad. Happy with Anderson Pens an excellent seller for me.

Edited by mgepark

Oh, drat! more inks I won't be able to replenish when I've used up my supply.

. . . you will be missed. . .

I didn't see the notice until today, but according to the Pendemonium website, Eternal Brown and Violet Vote were discontinued back in August. The dye components used to produce these inks are no longer available from the chemical companies! (The other popular exclusive from Pendemonium, Legal Lapis, remains available.)

I doubt whether anybody will miss Eternal Brown all that much.

Hold on there. I liked Eternal Brown. It was a great ink. In fact I use it mixed with some Visconti Brown to make a brown ink mixture that is in my rotation. I will miss Eternal Brown, if I ever run out of it.

As for other good Noodler's brown inks, Kiowa Pecan is great. The version of Noodler's Beaver that I have is an eternal ink; I don't know if the later editions still have those properties.

I have Violet Vote from when it was Iraqi Indigo. Still have most of that 4.5 ounce (by weight) bottle left. I think that's my only bottle of that ink. Too bad it's discontinued. But then I'm sure that there are plenty of inks from decades ago that are gone. I think that all of the Sheaffer inks are different from what they'd been when made in the U.S.A. even if some or all have the same names. I know that people are still pining for ink with Solv-X in it.

Well, change happens.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

Well Goulet's is out of stock actually. Not sure when it got posted to their site.

Their picture shows a glass bottle. Anderson Pen's doesn't have a picture so I can't say definitively.

Glass bottle, haven't had a chance to take an image this week as we have been getting ready for the LA show, leaving this morning. At this rate, it will be out before I get a chance to take a picture. ;)
www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.