M1000: Misaligned Tinge And Hard Starts

nrgskrm

Hello all.

I recently bought a M1000 through an authorized dealer on eBay who shipped it to me very quickly. I was super excited to receive it, only to discover under the loupe that the tinges are misaligned. Showing these images to the dealer, he said on these images alone, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the pen. What are your opinions?

These are photos I showed him.

12540502_10153858466651410_373979904_n.j

12483647_10153858466686410_863736339_n.j

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nrgskrm

• irondome

• abstract49

• Joe in Seattle

The tines ARE misaligned.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Dealer should stand behind his sale with exchange, service, or refund.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

Thanks for confirming what I thought was apparent. It's really disappointing to open the box on new years to discover lemons :(

They are indeed misaligned. The M1000 is easier to throw out of alignment due to its increased flexibility. It doesn't look like it would take much to re-align them if you were interested in giving it a try yourself. Gently pulling the left tine up (right most in your last photo) with a finger nail under magnification should do the trick. Might be easier than going through the hassle of an exchange.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I favor pushing the up tine down. Push it lower than the low tine, 3-4 seconds, three or four times. Checking after each press.

You do have magnification so can see when it is even.

Do flush your pen....that might help get rid of hard starts.

If hard starts persist, it could be you have baby bottom so must return the pen.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to update everyone on the situation.

I returned the M1000 back to Martemodena who sent it to Pelikan to get the nib swapped for a working copy. To their credit, they were very responsive and quick with the service and shipping.

However, I just received my second M1000 today and was extremely disappointed to find that there is also something wrong with the replacement nib.

First, it seems that Pelikan overpolished the right tine (in picture) such that the right tine is shorter than the left tine. Second, the tines are again misaligned, with the right tine being higher than the left. In practice, I got hard starts every time I waited for 10 seconds between writing.

This is seriously disappointing.

http://u1.to/img/Clipboard_Image01-02-2016_11-06-31_PM.jpg

Hi nrgskrm

I recently purchased a new M1000 with an Oblique Broad nib (the seller had one such nib left, as the obliques have now been discontinued) and under the loupe, from the same angle, it looks very much the same as your close-up photo. Is it possible that your nib is actually an oblique? If so, it will have a marking on the front of the nib, right above the section. It would be either "OB" or "OM".

As a side note, my recent M1000 is one of the first modern Pelikan pens I have ever owned. Being used to the wonderful Oblique nibs on older German pens such as Pelikan and Soennecken, I was a little disconcerted at first by this nib. It too was misaligned and imperfectly ground, but that has become a routine phenomenon with modern pens. But I was especially surprised that what Pelikan now calls "oblique" seems to be just a regular round tip ground to form a bit of an angled flat surface to make the "left foot" oblique angle. However, on my older Pelikans, the nibs labeled "OB" would probably now have to be described as "oblique stub" or even "oblique italic".

But my point is, if I didn't know the nib on my pen was supposed to be an oblique, I would have supposed that there was something really wrong with it, that one tine had been ground shorter than the other! So I wondered if perhaps your new nib is actually what Pelikan calls an oblique or whether it is truly just bad nib grinding...

In the end, after adjusting the tines and a little smoothing, my M1000 writes well enough, so I am OK with it. Hope your problem gets resolved soon!

• 2 weeks later...

For what its worth, my M1000 also came misaligned. But still writes beautifully. To be honest I wasn't aware of the misalignment until I bought a loupe recently and one day decided to look at the M1000 nib. The left tine is higher than the right. Having said that, it still writes wonderful.

It must be luck of the draw. I purchased an M1000 from the same dealer on eBay (with the intent that I would have it ground to a stub or italic). It wrote so smoothly and beautifully that I wasn't sure that I wanted to have it worked on. In the end, I decided that I wanted the line variation and am trusting that an experienced nibmeister will be able to keep it smooth while adding some line variation.

I'm sorry that you've had trouble with you M1000, as it can be a magnificent pen, and hope the issues are resolved to your satisfaction soon.

Yes, I also hope the OP (nrgskrm) will keep us informed as to how he or she makes out. Personally, I cannot open the first two photos; but the later one looks to me like a perfectly normal nib, on which I might expect to make a small adjustment; but faulty? Not in my eyes. However, the flow problem at start-up <would> concern me: perhaps some "flossing" was needed?

A manufacturer of the size of Pelikan might find it tough to test every single nib that passes out of their doors? Perhaps they <do> a quick eyeball test and check for writing ability; but a regular flow problem would trouble me, too. So I should like to hear about any outcome...

• 1 month later...

Hi ngskrm,

I empathise completely. I have gone through about 12 pelikan EF's and have had a problem with each one. I really think that, if you're having these problems, complaints should be made to Pelikan. It's obscene that they charge a lot of money for the M1000s and this is what customers get. I've written several complaints to them and hope that people will do the same!

Hope you get it sorted!

flashylightsmeow

Hello all.

I recently bought a M1000 through an authorized dealer on eBay who shipped it to me very quickly. I was super excited to receive it, only to discover under the loupe that the tinges are misaligned. Showing these images to the dealer, he said on these images alone, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the pen. What are your opinions?

These are photos I showed him.

12540502_10153858466651410_373979904_n.j

12483647_10153858466686410_863736339_n.j

I, too, have had trouble with a new nib for the M1000 model and ended up fixing it myself (see post). It works fine now, but I was really annoyed. There are enough people who have had trouble with new Pelikans to make me think that there is a question-mark around quality control on new items.