• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Truffle Finder

• esterbex

• Ghost Plane

• billydo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes da vinci, they are rather super aren't they?!

According to Stephen Hull's book about all things De La Rue, they were made between 1924/5 but there doesn't seem to any reference as to how long they made them for. At a guess, I would think for quite a few years though.

These are both the shorter versions, but it is pretty obvious from the diameter of the barrels that they would hold a considerable amount of ink!

Lovely pens!

Truffle Finder. :) :D

PS. Many thanks for the excellent photography Neal, always brilliant as usual!

Thank you for the information! Super pens indeed, and in such superb condition. Those large nibs are eye catching too!

Having told people on this thread about my car being 'keyed' down one side, I discovered that someone had done the same thing to the other side of the car yesterday afternoon while I went to the bank, and then to the Post Office!

I just cannot understand what makes someone want to do something like that.

Sad really.

Truffle Finder. :(

Thats terrible news Henry, the truly annoying aspect is that if you spend £200 a panel having it sorted out then it could very easily happen again.

No easy answer, the only thing I would suggest is to apply some wax to stop any rust, almost any sort of wax (as opposed to polish) will do, even wax meant for wood furniture.

I have a friend who has an Aston Martin and his car has been attacked in a similar way, he thinks its just because he is Chinese and that appears to annoy some small minded people. He has bought an old Ford and the attacks have stopped.

Unlike most Saturdays recently, I have had notification of two of my pen friends who are coming to see me today, which is very welcome news! [The last two weeks have been pretty 'lean'!]

Hopefully we will do a bit of 'horse trading' during the course of the day, which is usually beneficial to both parties.

I'm really looking forward to the day, [as long as it doesn't rain!

Edited by Truffle Finder

Well, it did rain, but only slightly thank goodness!

The day got off to a fine start with my very good friend coming along to see me and we did a bit of 'horse trading' as I had expected, then we settled up, and then he left.

The next person to arrive was my old friend George [the vintage camera man, who used to have a stand in the arcade where I am situated, but he left a few weeks ago]. I was able to give him some money for a camera which I had displayed in my booth since he left the arcade, which I'm sure he was pleased about!

Things became quite quiet for a while until a gentleman came and bought a gold filled capped Parker 51 ballpoint pen.

Later on a chap came to collect a pen that I had repaired for him, and then my good friend Tim arrived, and we 'chewed the fat' for a while until it was time to pack up and return home.

Thankfully it wasn't raining on the way back!

I have been keeping myself busy, working on a Conway Stewart Duro Number 20, which is the biggest of C/S's button filler range. The body of the pen was fine, but sadly the cap was quite badly damaged, [due mainly because the casein used was water soluble] and very often the caps collapsed after constant 'wetting and drying' with excess ink from the pen.

The other pens which I have been working on, are two of the Great Exhibition pens which were made for Conway Stewart a good few years ago. I had a couple the huge sized nibs which were required to go in the pens, and that inspired me to use them, so I got a couple of sets of the overlays cast from the masters, which I still have.

My good friend Graham down in the West Country has made the base-pens for me, and they arrived this morning, so, I have been working on them both today.

I'm sorry Ghost Plane, I didn't purposely leave you hanging there!

It is difficult for me to give you the size of each nib, but the bit that sticks out from the front section of the pen is exactly 2.5 cms long!

Neither of them is actually marked [from Bock], but they both look to me like they are medium italic nibs!

These nibs are bigger than the ones that we used for the Spirit of Life pens, BTW.

That's going back a while!!!

PS. Perhaps someone might have a photograph or two of either the SOL pen, or the Great Exhibition pen, and post them on this thread!

Oh! I forgot to mention it Ghost Plane, but neither of the Great Exhibition Pens are reserved for anyone in particular, [since you asked!].

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case anyone is wondering why there has been an extended period of "silence" from Henry, you might like to know that he has been quite ill over the last couple of weeks. However, the good news is that after a few days in hospital, he is on the mend again and is currently recuperating with family. I'm sure that he will be up to speed again soon, and will be back on here to fill you in on the details. :)

Oh no! I thought maybe he’d gotten stuck due to rail works or hared off to a huge car boot sale.

Get well soon, Henry!

It was interesting to see that during Henry's absence from this thread, one of his Onoto Mammoth pens previously featured here sold at an online auction for over £1500! I knew that these were uncommon pens but the sale price underlines just how rare they are, and how serious collectors will pay for models that they just can't find elsewhere. I wonder if a few more of these pens will now surface and find themselves for sale online?! That often happens doesn't it.

Here's the mammoth that was sold...

Neal.

fpn_1512646874__henrysonotomammoths2017.

Many thanks for all your kind wishes! It is rather nice that I seem to have been missed!

At the moment, I haven't got much of a clue when I will be back home, and in my workshop, but it is looking as though it might not be until after Christmas!

Tim has been marvellous, and has been able to cover for me up at my booth at Portobello Road, but sadly he will not be able to make it this coming Saturday.

I have been staying with my sister in the woolly wilds of Essex since I came out of hospital, and although I took my lap top with me, we have been unable to get it to 'jump into life' so I have experienced what it was like before I became involved with the world of cyber-space!!! Still, I'm sure that that won't do me any harm!

Maybe on a future visit back to my workshop, I will be able to post another 'post' on here!

Merry Christmas.

Truffle Finder. :) :)