Top Posters In This Topic

• Truffle Finder

• esterbex

• Ghost Plane

• billydo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the comment Ghost Plane!

There was me talking about feeling so tired after the weekend, but Neal's photograph of me makes me look as though I had a very heavy drinking session the previous night! My eyes look so puffy!

Still you can't have everything!

Truffle Finder. :) :D

It’s hard to look bad next to a tray of your pens. If men only realized the effect on women, they’d be clamoring to get one.

After having returned home following a quite successful Saturday at Portobello Road yesterday, my mind was drawn to a solid 18ct gold Snake Pattern overlaid pen which seemed to have 'disappeared' sometime between last Sunday at the Pen Show on Sunday, and now!

Obviously, I looked in all the logical places where I might have put it around the workshop, but I couldn't find it anywhere! Having exhausted all my possible places where it might have been put, I reluctantly came to the conclusion that it was lost forever.

[For those of you reading this who are not aware about my domestic arrangements, the house where I have lived for the last 20 odd years, is owned by my aunt, who is now 97 years old, and she has a full-time live-in carer named Barbara.]

While I was in the kitchen last night, I told Barbara about the missing pen, and she was very sympathetic, but after a while she went through to the workshop, then she came back to the kitchen, and asked me to come through and look at something! I followed her through to the workshop, and she said "Look under that chair!" [in the middle of the workshop, there is a swivel office chair, which I use to hang my jacket on], and sure enough, on the floor was the missing black pen box, sitting there in the gloom of a shadow cast by the chair above it!

The feeling of relief was quite amazing!

I'm pleased to say that I slept really well last night!

Truffle Finder. :) :D :blush:

Well! I'd say Barbara deserves a special treat, and you should treat yourself with a visit to the eye doctor....Glad it all worked out!

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

There are two definitions of treasure, one is a noun and the other is a verb.

Barbara sounds like the noun, but the verb is something that a certain person needs to do with his most important of pens - to keep carefully!

A pleasure to see you again at WES Henry, enjoyed our chat.

Edited by Beechwood

Well, Beechwood thank you for making a contribution here on this thread. [You might be pleased to note that I haven't 'misplaced' any other 'treasured' pens since the London Pen Show!]

I have a confession to make here! I'm afraid I am not sure who you are [beechwood]. In all fairness, I did chat with a lot of people at the pen Show, so it is very difficult for me to know your identity other than by the name Beechwood! Perhaps you could send me a PM via the FPNetwork. [i would send you one but I do not know how to do that!!!]

Please excuse my ignorance!

Truffle Finder. :) :D :excl:

I dont think we introduced ourselves Henry, we had a couple of conversations, one at another table where we talked about personalisations on pens and again at your table where we talked about The Goldsmiths Company (for all those who dont know the organisation website link attached, the company was formed in 1327, so worth reading for its history value)

https://www.thegoldsmiths.co.uk/company/history/history-of-the-company/

We also talked about craftsmanship and the work on your overlays, you were good enough to show me your work.

best wishes.

That's sometimes the problem with those sort of gatherings, one recognises someone [by sight] as being someone that you've met before but you don't necessarily have any reason to say who you are [by name!].

Well, anyway, at least I now know what we talked about, so I have got a slightly better idea of you you are!

You sound like a nice kind of chap, so do feel free to 'chip in' whenever you feel like doing so!

Truffle Finder. :) :D :excl:

You're very welcome Daximillion!

You are a very lucky girl to have a mother like yours who loves you so much!

My pleasure entirely, and I will wait patiently until you next come to the UK, and hopefully I will have some different 'new' vintage pens for you to browse over!

I am pleased to say that I spent quite a bit of time yesterday doing the pen repairs that I had picked up on Saturday. Most of them were simple 'Re-sacking' and cleaning jobs, but a couple of them involved re-shaping and re-setting their nibs, which of course requires quite a lot of time to do.

One of the clients who saw me on Saturday, was an antique dealer lady [from one of the arcades further along the road], who, over time has brought me quite a few pens which needed restoration. When I handed her pen back to her, she then presented me with a small bag full of vintage fountain pens as a present to me to show her appreciation! Her pen was a Mont Blanc 146, which basically needed a thorough cleaning out after having been left in a desk draw for a long time, so I wasn't planning to charge her anything for doing it, as she has always been very grateful in the past when I had sorted out her pens.

I think that that is an example of 'Pen Karma!'

Edited by Truffle Finder

This week, I have had two enquiries from two different people who have problems with their treasured vintage pens.

One is a large Conway Stewart button filler, but sadly the cap has shrunk and distorted. The other one is a Conklin Endura, which needs it's lever re-fitting as it has detached from the body of the pen.

Hopefully they should be winging their way to me as I write this, and then I will be able to get started on them both. I do enjoy these slightly more complicated repairs!

Well, today wasn't too impressive regarding the revenue, but I did sell a chagrin covered Dunhill lighter [from the 1930's] which I have had in stock for quite long enough!

One of my 'fairly' regular collector/users arrived, and looked at one of my Onoto fountain pens, and having tried it for a while, he decided that he wanted to buy it. So, he went away, to get the money for the pen, and when he came back, he showed me a black Pelican 600 fountain pen, in practically mint condition. I tried it, and it wrote like butter! Needless to say, that we swapped the two pens, and he departed, and we were both very happy with the exchange!

A few other people came to collect their pens which I had repaired for them, but sadly, no more were dropped off to me today.

When I got back to the workshop this afternoon, there was a package waiting for me which contained two sets of plunger rods to fit the two Onoto Mammoth Pens [in mottled red and black hard rubber] which I acquired fairly recently! I can't wait to get on and fit them in the pens!

Not a bad day all told!

I've just got back from Cornwall!

The main reason for going down to that part of the world, was because my dentist has his surgery in Tavistock, [just across the Tamar in Devon] and a while ago I lost a filling from one of my teeth!

While I was down there, I had decided to 'up-grade' my car. So, I am pleased to say that I am now the proud owner of a Vauxhall Vectra motor car!

I've just driven back to London in it, and although I am quite tired [i'm getting old!] it drove like a dream!!!

For those who 'might' be in any way interested, someone who knows how to do these things might very kindly post some pictures on this thread! Nothing to do with Fountain Pens, I'm afraid, but there you are, perhaps you can just enjoy my pleasure at having a 'newer' vehicle to drive around in!

Truffle Finder. :) :D :P :excl: