Top Posters In This Topic

• Truffle Finder

• esterbex

• Ghost Plane

• billydo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

😂😂😂 You're killing me, GP!!! 😂😂😂

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

Right Ghost Plane, I think that I've got it! The password is 'plaid'! I've got a fresh set of coconuts!!! So now I will be able to cross the bridge, right?

As yet, I've absolutely no idea what Portobello has in store for me tomorrow.

It seems a very strange thing to have to remember.................... "Plaid coconuts, bridge!" "Plaid coconuts, bridge!" "Plaid coconuts, bridge!"

Truffle Finder. :) :D :lol: :lticaptd:

I have a feeling that what I'm going to write about today, will only interest a limited number of people who read the things that appear on this thread.

On Saturday [amongst other things that happened!] a customer handed me a blue Parker 51 Vacumatic-filler for repair. [No problem there, one would have thought] but when I came to do the restoration, I re-assembled the pen with a newly replaced ink sack, but when I tried to screw the mechanism back in place, the barrel split at the back end of the pen. I searched through my 51 spares draw, and found a replacement barrel. I thoroughly clean it, and tried again! It broke, just like the first one! So I tried again but the same thing happened.

I decided to stop work for the day, thinking that it might be 'just me, being just a bit 'kack-handed'!

I have given it quite a bit of thought, and I am wondering, if these 80 odd year old pens are reaching the end of their practical life, [particularly the blue ones! In just the same way that the Mandarin Yellow Parker Duofolds were very fragile because the colour pigment had that effect on them

So, today, I will phone my customer, and explain to him what has happened, and ask him what he would like me to do about it. I'm hoping that he will agree to have a black Parker 51 Vacumatic instead of the blue one!

We'll see!

Truffle Finder. :unsure: :wacko: :blush:

Edited by Truffle Finder

I have contacted the owner of the Parker 51 pen, and I've explained to him as best I could what the options are, and he has agreed to go along with having a black one instead of his original blue one.

I'm hoping to get it sorted out later today, I am assuming that the black ones are more 'stable' than the blue ones!

We'll see!

Truffle Finder. :) :D

When I walked up to the High Street earlier this week, I did my usual thing of popping into the local charity shop and had a browse around! Because I go in there so often, I am pretty familiar with the basic stock on offer, and I find it quite easy to see any new things which have been added, so I was quite surprised when I noticed an 'Encore' electric/acoustic guitar, hanging up in the corner of the shop!

I asked the assistant if I could have a look at it, and then took it down, and checked it out. Very often [depending on the age of the instrument] the 'action' relationship of the strings to the fret-board has increased which can mean that it can be difficult to press the string to the fret-board, but fortunately this one's 'action' was really very good!

Over a year ago, I had decided that I had got 'enough' guitars in my possession, [and I had even given a few of them away, in an attempt to de-clutter my flat!] but for some reason, I felt that I really ought to buy this one!

Needless to say, that I did complete the purchase, so I brought it home, and proceeded to take the strings off it, and gave it a thorough clean and polish. Sadly, I found that I had not got an appropriate set of new strings for the guitar, so I looked up Google to see where the nearest music shop was, only to find that they have all closed down [no doubt following the trend of so many shops nowadays, to sell 'on-line'!]

Anyway, the end result, is that I have now got an account with Amazon, and I am now waiting patiently for the postman to arrive with the new set of strings!

I ordered them on Tuesday, and today is Friday!

Such is 'progress', I suppose!!!

Truffle Finder. :) :D :excl:

Online shopping?!!! *checks out the window for flying pigs*

Ditto!!!

~~Larry Brown

For those of you [busy looking out of their windows to see if there are flying pigs!] who might be interested! The guitar strings arrived yesterday, and having slightly altered the 'action' on the instrument, I have re-strung it, and I'm pleased to say that it is very easy to play, and if I say so myself, it sounds terrific!

I can honestly say that 'On-line' shopping is good, but it could easily have been improved if the delivery time was quicker, but then I probably missed the bit when I placed the order, which would have instigated 'next day' delivery! But I suppose I will get the hang of it in time!

I'm pleased to say, that Saturday's business up at Portobello was really quite good.

Things kicked off when a collector/dealer friend of mine came to look at what 'new' stock I'd got in since he last saw me. Anyway, having had a good look around my folders, he decided to buy a Green oversized Parker Vacumatic pen. [People have thought for a long time that Burgundy is the rarest colour in the oversized models, but I am quite sure that green is much harder to find. In all the time that I have been 'in' pens, I have only had 3 off them in green! Whereas I must have had at least a dozen of the burgundy ones!]

The next sale, was a Mont Blanc 146 fountain pen, followed fairly shortly after, by a Mont Blanc Ball-point pen, with Rhodium trim.

The rest of the day's business was mainly taken up with people handing in their pens for repair, or collecting them having been completed.

All in all, it was a good day!

For those still looking out of the window for the flock of flying pigs swooping overhead! You might be pleased to know that the guitar has been put to good use, and I have been 'twiddling' with it quite often.

It has inspired me to practise more frequently!

I had a surprise phone call yesterday, from a Film Props Buyer [whom I have dealt with before, but it was quite a while ago] and he basically wanted to know if I was still at my booth in Portobello Road on Saturdays. Having established that I am still located there, he told me that he needs to buy about ten 1930's style fountain pens for a film that is being made in the next few months.

So, it looks as though he will be coming to see me either this coming Saturday, or possibly next Saturday.

It bodes well!

How nice to be the "go to guy" for movie props! See if he'll reveal the name of the project when you visit Saturday. B)

~~Larry Brown

Will do Esterbex!

It will surprise me if he does divulge the name of the film that he is involved in though, they don't usually say anything about that sort of thing! I will ask anyway, but don't hold your breath!

Sorry, no Film Prop Buyer in sight! All day!!!

Still, a regular customer of mine did come along, and whereas he usually likes to look at and try out various broad, and italic nibbed pens, this time he asked to see some with fine to medium round headed nibs in them.

He tried many fountain pens, before he settled for two of the more modern pens which he quite fancied. One was a Centennial Senior Parker Duofold in blue marbled pattern, and the other [much to my astonishment] was a modern Conway Stewart 100 in Red White and Blue pattern, which I had bought at the Conway 'closing down' auction!

In the end he decided to take them both, which I'm sure made him very happy!

A few people came to collect their repaired pens from me, and quite a few people dropped some more for me to turn my attentions to this coming week.

Not a bad day really!

I spent the best part of Sunday, and quite a long time on Monday doing the pen repairs that I mentioned in my last posting here, and I am pleased to say that they are all done, even the two quite complex ones.

I do get a great deal of satisfaction when I have completed the more difficult pen repairs!

This morning, the film prop buyer phoned to tell me that he will be coming to my stand at Portobello at about 9.00am, so, I had better make sure that I get there in good time!

I am also expecting two of my collector/dealer friends to come and see me, so it does look quite promising.