Has Anyone Heard Of Henry Simpole 2016

RMN

Yesterday at Portobello could have been a better day than it turned out to be, but I did have the pleasure of meeting some quite interesting people during the course of the day.

One was a gentleman who's father had once owned the Shearer Pen Company [in the USA, it was a 'merger' of some kind I believe], anyway, we had a good chat about [what else?] fountain pens, and he ended up buying a Parker Pen from me.

Then I met 'AKMA', who I was expecting, and again we talked 'pens' for a while and then he departed.

I bought two Parker 75's which were in 'mint' condition, and received two lots of pen repairs, which I am pleased to say have been done, and are now packed and ready to go back up to Portobello next Saturday to be collected.

It was also 'rent day'!

Such is life!

Truffle Finder. :) :D :excl:

Edited by Truffle Finder

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Truffle Finder

• esterbex

• Ghost Plane

• billydo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To all those on the other side of the 'Herring pond', "Happy Independence Day"!

It also happens to be my birthday, but at my age, the least said about it, the better!

To those from the other side of 'the Herring Pond', Happy Independence Day!

Coincidently, it also happens to be my birthday, but at my age, the least said about that, the better!

I think you'll find that the 'Special' day was about nine months before the 4th of July, actually Ghost Plane!

But let's not go into that, or we might have to revert to the 'comfy chair' again!

"Sock-it-to-me! Sock-it-to-me! Sock-it-to-me!!!

There's no doubt about it, nostalgia's not what it used to be!

So what if I don't know what 'Armageddon' means? It's not the end of the world, is it?

Truffle Finder. :) :D :lol: :lticaptd:

Happy Birthday Truffle! Happy Birthday Chris Chalmers! Happy Birthday USA! ☮️

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

During last week, and this week, I have received an unusual amount of vintage pen repairs by post for restoration.

Whether this increase has occurred because of Google's existence, I do not know, but I am always happy to work on pen repairs, particularly if they are 'tricky' ones!

Let's hope that the increase continues!

Truffle Finder. :) :D

I have frequently noticed [while I'm at my booth in Portobello Road] that there is sometimes a preponderance of people [on any particular Saturday] from a certain nation walking around the arcade, sometimes French people and sometimes people from the Far East, or even from America!

Wherever they are from, I am usually very pleased to meet them, [as long as they are basically polite, and preferably ask 'intelligent' questions!]

Yesterday, my first two customers were both from the UK, and we did quite a bit of business while each one was with me. The latter part of the day, was taken up by mainly Asian people and they all bought fountain pens from me before they left my stand.

Needless to say, that I was a very happy bunny by the time I packed up to return home!

Edited by Truffle Finder

Something for the weekend?!

Here's one of Henry's "standard" lines, the Battersea Pen Home Parker Duofold International pens with the Silver Acanthus Leaf overlay on the barrel. i think that these are really great value, £550 I believe?

Enjoy... :yikes:

fpn_1500028137__henrysbphduofolds2017.jp

Edited by billydo

Sadly today up at Portobello was not a particularly good day [money-wise], but the upside was that I was offered three very nice vintage fountain pens, at a very reasonable price. They were as follows:-

1] Black 1939/40 Parker Diofold Senior.

2] Bronze candy stripe Parker Duofold Senior, English.

3] Parker oversized Vacumatic pen, in green striped pattern!!!

Of course the last one of the three was the 'sparkler' amongst them!

I left there very happy with my day out!!!

Truffle Finder. :) :D :lol:

It is always a great pleasure, when I have completed all the repairs [both, of customers, and any which I have recently purchased].

This week, I rather selfishly started work on the three pens which I had bought on Saturday, and I did spend a great deal of time sorting them out! The main problem was trying to find the correct plastic Tassie which needed replacing, at the tail-end of the pen! [it's amazing just how much time can be spent looking through the 'spares draws', looking for the correct parts!]

The customer's pen repairs were a little more complicated than usual, in that they included a Soenneken, and an Osmia, and an Onoto plunger-filler pen, [which had a broken internal plunger-rod! Not the end of the world, but it doesn't help!]

Anyway, they are all packed up, and ready to be posted back to there owners, which is very satisfying for me!

Three more packages have arrived during the week, and I'm pleased to say, that the pens have all been done now. So, today, I will pack them all up, and get them sent off to their owners.

Whilst doing these repairs, I had to search through the Conway Stewart 'spares draws', and guess what I found? A Conway Stewart No: 20 in black hard rubber, it is the largest of C/S's button-filler range [in fact it is believed to be the 'model' pen that Parker used to create the streamlined Duofold senior pen in the 1930's.

Anyway, today I will spend some time getting it ready to put into my stock up at Portobello this week.

It's always a nice surprise to find stuff in the spares draws!

That spares drawer might cough up the missing tekkie portion of your brain.... at least one can dream....🤣🤗😎

~~Larry Brown

😂😂😂

~~Larry Brown

😂😂😂

~~Larry Brown

I'm just hoping that my 'tekkie-challenged' part of my brain will be able to get me up to my booth at Portobello this morning!

Truffle Finder. :wacko: :( :rolleyes:

A good day is bid to yourself, sir! You are beloved and a treasure, challenges and all! 😊👌🙏😎

~~Larry Brown