• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Truffle Finder

• esterbex

• Ghost Plane

• billydo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh my, the Tardis effect again? I wonder what else will turn up as you sort ...

No doubt the needle in the haystack presently..... :yikes:

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

I don't know that this is particularly of interest to anyone reading this thread, but the two walls that had cracks which needed repairing, are now near to completion!

Perhaps a bit of a disappointment, I did not find anything of any particular interest during the process of moving half the contents of the workshop into the room next door! Sorry about that!

The next 'big thing' that is coming up this time next week, is the Careers Fair at my old school. It will be the third time that I will have participated in it, but I am really looking forward to doing it.

Last year, it seemed to have sparked quite a lot of interest amongst the students who ventured close enough to hear what I had to say, I just hope that it had an effect on their decision as regards to their future careers.

I will report back here, after it has happened!

Truffle Finder. :) :D :excl:

Particular interest to you can be a very different thing from particular interest to your humble followers. :wacko:

Having moved so much 'stuff' from the workshop to the room next door, the result has been that a great deal of the 'things' have been thrown out! So, apart from the beneficial effect of that, I haven't actually made a conscious effort to sort through everything. When all the work is finished, and everything is brought back into the workshop, no doubt the decks will be a lot clearer, and of course I will have a better idea of where everything is, because I will have handled everything fairly recently!

You know what they say about these things, that the most stressful things in life are:- A death in the family; divorce; followed by moving house!!!

I haven't moved house exactly, but it has felt like it!

Truffle Finder. :) :D

I found a couple of free hours yesterday and managed to catch up with Uncle Henry at his booth in Portabello Road. Thought you'd all appreciate a few pictures! :yikes:

Of course I had to treat myself to one of his own pens.... I'll get a few pictures of that for you over the next few days. Thanks Henry, good to see you again! :)

fpn_1453634506__henry2016v2.jpg

fpn_1453634556__henry2016.jpg

Good morning!

Yesterday turned out to have been a quite busy day up at Portobello Market. Probably only co-incidence, but people came along from Spain, the Far East, and UK to see me, fortunately they were fairly evenly spaced out between each visitor, so no-one had to wait while I dealt with each person.

The star-visitor of the day, was undoubtedly Neal, who had told me that he would be popping in to see me. He thought that it had been a good few years since he had been up to Portobello, so seeing me in my booth, was quite a change from the last time he had visited me there, when I had three small cabinets on the table-top 'Island' just in front of where my booth is now situated.

I was offered quite a few vintage pens during the course of the day, and I sold quite a few pens, including one of my silver overlaid pens, to Neal!

Incidentally, I remembered to take my three Makie-decorated Conway Stewart Churchill pens with me yesterday, and Neal spent quite a bit of time looking at them and discussing them with me. He took several photographs of them, so hopefully the images might appear on this thread soon.

Those Namikis! And who might that silver and burgundy number belong to now? If Neal didn't Nick it I'd be interested..... ;)

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

Building work has stopped temporarily here in the workshop, which I am quite pleased about, as I picked up quite a few pen repairs last Saturday, and a few of them are quite intricate, so I have been working on them since the weekend, and so far I am making good progress.

These include:- a Watermans Patrician, which needs some minor 'surgery'! An Easterbrook 'Relief' pen [in toffee swirl casein, with a split in the cap! and a very large 'mottled' hard rubber Duro Conway Stewart pen, which needs a replacement clip, and a replacement lever fitted!

I rather suspect that these repairs will take me many hours work, but my enthusiasm to do them keeps me going!

You know what they say, "A positive mental attitude, turns a drudgery into an adventure!"

Wise words, I think.

My day at my old school's 'Careers Fair' was rather tiring, but quite satisfying!

There seemed to have been a reasonable number of young people who had the courage to approach my stand, which was encouraging, [it would have been very embarrassing if 'nobody' had asked me about what I was doing there!]

This year, I had decided to take a 'practice' sheet of silver, and my engraving tool, so that I could be demonstrating during the 'quiet' periods, which did have the effect of sparking interest from the students. If I am asked to do it again next year, I will certainly use the same tactic! [it must be quite 'daunting', for a young person to approach a stand, and ask an intelligent question!] I would estimate that most of the students were 14, 15 and 16 year olds.

I did sleep very soundly last night!

Truffle, please check your journey to Portobello tomorrow. There are engineering works on the east end of the Central line all weekend, meaning that there are 9 trains an hour from Hainault and 15 through where the Hainault loop meets up with the Epping service.

Thank you very much for warning me that there might well be problems on the Underground tomorrow, View from the Loft!

Shortly after I read your posting on here, I went down the road to the station, just to make sure, and it would appear that they will be running from Wanstead into London, but probably won't be stopping at Leytonstone, which doesn't really affect my journey [hopefully!]

Very kind of you to think of me!

Very kind of you to think of me!

No trouble at all - forewarned is forearmed, after all.

" did sleep very soundly last night!"

I understand. I spent 30 years teaching middle and high school. :)

Looking for a black SJ Transitional Esterbrook Pen. (It's smaller than an sj)

When I got back from Portobello yesterday, I thought that I had walked into the wrong room!

My sister had conveniently decided to come over yesterday morning, [while I was safely out of the way!] to sort through all the things that had been 'stored' around the fireplace, and on the mantel piece! She must have worked very hard during the course of the day, dusting and cleaning all the surfaces that had been 'uncovered', by the removal of everything!

As I have already said, it looked like a different room!

I'm very lucky to have sister like her!!!

Truffle Finder. :) :D :lol: :excl:

Sorry to keep mentioning about the 'goings on' here in the workshop!

I had spent quite a long time sorting through a vast amount of vintage pen nibs, [over a week ago], then I had to buy some more small 'see-through' envelopes to put them into, and the whole lot took an extraordinary amount of time!

On Tuesday, I saw on my workbench, a 'Quink' ink bottle, [where I put nibs when I'm doing the repairs] which is full of plain water. Well, there must have been at least 150 nibs in the bottle! So I had to sort them out, [in terms of makes, and sizes] and then put them in the appropriate envelopes.

Anyway, it's all done now, and I'm very pleased to have done it.

The big 'Pay-off' is that when I'm looking for a particular nib, it does make finding it so much easier!

Some might say:- "Master of the bleedin' obvious!!!"

Truffle, I can't remember what time you normally leave Portobello on a Saturday, but please try to finish your homeward journey by 6.30pm. Due to industrial action, some stations may be closed ...