Has Anyone Heard Of Henry Simpole 2016

RMN

After perusing the link provided by our good Seville, I noticed this line in the description of the Wembley...

Features

• The Conway Stewart Wembley Limited Edition Collection is a new overlay design commissioned for Penporium by award winning artist Henry Simpole

Is that true, and when?

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Truffle Finder

• esterbex

• Ghost Plane

• billydo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

You know what would be nice? If someone who has pens with each of patterns to make a short video. I'd like to see them as you slowly turn them around and point out features.

Also, How do you put the metal onto the pen? I would think that you can't fold it an and solder it. The heat would be too much for the pen. And you can't just slide it on after you form the cylinder. Too tight and you'd scratch the pen, too loose and the overlay would slide off. And how do you clean it?

Lastly, I will never be able to afford such a pen, but it's fun to window shop.

Looking for a black SJ Transitional Esterbrook Pen. (It's smaller than an sj)

Yesterday, was not only rather wet [weather-wise] but also rather uneventful [business-wise].

I only sold one pen during the course of the day, and I bought two pens, one was a Parker 51, with gold filled cap and barrel, and the other, was yet another Mont Blanc 146. Despite having already seven of them at the moment, in stock, I'm ever hopeful that some will sell, between now and Christmas! I try to live in hope!

Truffle Finder. :) :D

Sorry to have skipped over your post Larry Barrieau!

In answer to your question about how the overlays are put in place on the pens, almost all of them are held in place by the blind caps which are screwed in position when the overlay has been put on the pen.

The inside of each overlay has to be smoothed before this is done, as you quite correctly thought, if there were any rough edges, it would scratch the surface of the base-pen.

With regards to making a video recording of exactly how I make the pens, or showing all the different designs that I have created, I'm afraid not! Sorry about that!

PS. Regarding the cleaning of the silver overlays, I recommend that people use a dry face flannel, and rub the pen quite vigorously! The problem with using any form of 'prop' brands of silver cleaners is that a residue would be left around the edges of the 'cut-out' parts of the overlays, which would not be very helpful!

OK! OK! OK!

I didn't realise that anyone out there was waiting with bated breath for any 'follow-up' descriptions of the things going on up at Portobello Road!!!

The chap who wanted to sell his Mont Blanc pens arrived shortly after I had opened up my stand, and after a bit of discussion, we agreed on a price for the pens, and he seemed very happy with the deal.

Shortly after that I had a couple of customers who both bought 'user-pens' which had caught their attention, as they were passing my booth.

The American gentleman then appeared, and introduced himself and his wife, before she disappeared to look at things other than fountain pens elsewhere in the market! He had a good look at my overlaid pens, and we of course talked to each other about our recent purchases, and eventually he homed in on a red hard rubber Droplet Pattern Pen. We agreed on the price, and then we both walked up the road to see a fellow antiques dealer who deals with my credit card transactions when they occur from time to time!

Having sorted that side of things out, we parted company, and I carried on reading my book, back at my booth until it was time to return home, and I luckily missed the intermittent showers of rain as I walked back to the tube station!

Is that OK Esterbex?

That "American Gentleman" was me! Though few who know me would use that description ;)

A beautiful orange sterling overlay.

Henry knows his stuff. He showed me a Waterman large safety in mint condition - neat pen.

"Bad spelling, like bad grammar, is an offense against society."

- - Good Form Letter Writing, by Arthur Wentworth Eaton, B.A. (Harvard);  © 1890

Today's trip up to Portobello Road was rather disappointing [money-wise], but I did buy a slightly unusual Esrebrook Relief fountain pen during the course of the day. On the barrel it says:- R.Esterbrook

Relief pen. No; 5-L.

It is thinner than the standard sized Esterbrooks that I normally see, and slightly shorter than the standard sized pens. Which makes me wonder if perhaps it was made as a 'lady's' pen.

I sold two Parker 51's during the day, and a Parker Maxima English made Duofold, which I suppose was quite good for a quiet day!

I have spent a little time this afternoon, re-sacking and cleaning the Esterbrook 5-L fountain pen. It looks absolutely wonderful!

For those not familiar with these early English Esterbrooks, they were made from Casein by Conway Stewart factory, until Easterbrook started there own factory over here. Over time the Casein becomes dry and brittle, so you have to be very careful when removing the section from the front of the barrel of the pen.

As usual, at this time of the week, I really haven't had any indication of any potential visitors who might be coming up to Portobello Road to see me there tomorrow, but I live in hope!

I have done all my pen repairs for this week, which is good.

I'll report back here when I get back home!

Turned out to be another quiet Saturday again yesterday at Portobello. There were a couple of people who turned up having found out about me, from this web-site, and from the Internet, which was nice.

Then an American came along because his wife wanted to buy him a birthday present. Having tried several vintage pens, he settled for a jade green De La Rue pen from the 1930's, which was the only pen that I sold all day.

Perhaps next Saturday will be better!

Tomorrow morning, I will receive a parcel with a 'modern' Conway Stewart Churchill pen from a chap who contacted me by E-mail asking me if I might be able to replace the clip on the pen, as it had broken off from the cap.

I could never understand why Conway Stewart used to 'stick' the blind caps onto the top of their caps, but when I asked them about it [years ago] I was told that they didn't want the customers 'messing about' with their pens!

Anyway, I have warned the gentleman that I will not be able to 'guarantee' that I will be able to do it, until I have seen the pen, but it will be interesting to find out how 'well' stuck it is!

Fortunately, I have got some spare clips to replace the broken one, but we will see!!!

I have been trying various different ways of working on the Churchill pen cap, but so far, without much success, but I am quite confident that I will be able to solve the problem, [providing that I don't do anything that is irreversible!]

I will report back here, as and when I can.

I seem to have had quite a few pen repairs that have arrived recently, and just this morning, I received an E-mail from a gentleman down in Liskeard, Cornwall, who met me many years ago, when I was making inquiries about finding the Quaker Burial Ground in that vicinity where one of the Esterbrooks was buried.

He wanted to know if I could repair a propelling pencil that he owns, but because my knowledge about such things could be written on a postage stamp, I looked up a few of the WES members, and sent them to him. I'm hoping that one of them will know who he can contact to attempt the repair!

Happy days!!!

For those people reading this, there is a thread over in the Esterbrook forum, which explains about my search for Jean Esterbrook's ancestors. I warn you that it is quite long, so it would be a good idea to make sure that you have plenty of time available before you start reading it!