Has Anyone Heard Of Henry Simpole 2016

RMN

PS: Glad to see you've learned how to quote a post! That is progress!

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Truffle Finder

• esterbex

• Ghost Plane

• billydo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Over the last few days, I have been working on making a silver overlay for a Watermans number 58 fountain pen, which turned up here in the workshop a little while ago!

I decided to do a droplets pattern for the design of the overlay, and I have done all the piercing-out, and the engraving is now complete.

The next stage, will be to trim the edges of the flat silver, and then curl them both, and get the silver soldering done, and then fit them to the body and the cap.

When it is done, no doubt the pen will be paying a visit to Neal, to get photographed! [if that's alright with you, Neal!]

Truffle Finder. :) :D

Oh, you have me intrigued - I'm looking forward to seeing this one when it is finished.

Well, I'm just back from Portobello Road Market, and I'm pleased to be able to say that it wasn't a bad day for this 'quiet' time of the year!

There are always plenty of people walking along outside, tourists mainly, who enjoy the colourful aspect of all the arcades and stalls along the road, but generally, they are not looking for antiques!

Today, I had a surprise visit from Jim Marshall, who I haven't seen for quite some time, so of course, we chatted about things generally, and he did look over some pens, and picked out one that he wanted to buy.

I did sell one other pen to a different customer, but other than a few people who came to collect their repaired pens, that was about it for the day.

The tubes were working properly, and the sun was out and everything was 'wonderful!'

For this time of year!!!

Truffle Finder. :) :D :excl:

I have spent the best part of this last week, making a droplet patterned silver overlay for the Waterman's 58 fountain pen.

I am pleased to be able to say that the two cylinders have been pierced, engraved, and curled and silver soldered, and incredibly, they both fit the barrel and the cap of the pen! [i say 'incredibly' because I am now in the position whereby I make the overlays for a pen, and then ask my friend in the West Country to make the base-pen to fit the overlays!]

The last thing to do, will be to fit the original clip on to the cap of the pen, and then get the overlays Hall-Marked at the Assay Office.

I have spent the best part of this last week, making a droplet patterned silver overlay for the Waterman's 58 fountain pen.

I am pleased to be able to say that the two cylinders have been pierced, engraved, and curled and silver soldered, and incredibly, they both fit the barrel and the cap of the pen! [i say 'incredibly' because I am now in the position whereby I make the overlays for a pen, and then ask my friend in the West Country to make the base-pen to fit the overlays!]

The last thing to do, will be to fit the original clip on to the cap of the pen, and then get the overlays Hall-Marked at the Assay Office.

Very much looking forward to seeing some pictures when you are ready. I hope Neal can do the necessary again! :)

Sad to say, that work on the overlaid Waterman's 58 pen has had to stop, as there is possibly a problem with the Assay Office, in that they might not 'approve' of there being a 'metal' lever on the barrel of the pen.

I have been in touch with my friend Sheila who works there, and she is going to make inquiries about whether they can ignore the base-metal lever being present or not. She has said that the underside of the 'lollipop' shaped lever might have to be marked with:- 'Metal'!

It will be interesting to find out what they will decide to do about it.

I have good news!

I have spoken to Sheila this morning, and having made the appropriate inquiries, they have said that I can put the pen in for the usual Hall-Marking, and they will ignore the presence of the metal lever on the barrel!

So, I will be popping it in to the Assay Office on Monday, and hopefully be able to collect the pen shortly after that.

I have good news!

I have spoken to Sheila this morning, and having made the appropriate inquiries, they have said that I can put the pen in for the usual Hall-Marking, and they will ignore the presence of the metal lever on the barrel!

So, I will be popping it in to the Assay Office on Monday, and hopefully be able to collect the pen shortly after that.

Good result Henry, after all it wasn't the pen that was being hallmarked but the overlay. By the same logic you would have to label the pen as plastic and the sac as rubber!

Yesterday at Portobello Road was really quite surprising, in that several dealers came to see me during the course of the day, and in some respects, it was a little like last week when Jim Marshall had turned up, and within a short while, my stand became a 'mini-venue' for a Writing Equipment Society gathering!

'Thiery' [from Switzerland] was this week's 'celebrity' guest, and he showed me a very early Mabie Todd & Bard Calligraphy Pen, which he had recently bought at auction. Certainly, a very rare pen, I had never seen one before!

The afternoon culminated with the arrival of a good friend of mine, who had seen me a couple of weeks ago to drop off a number of Namiki and Pilot pens, all of which needed work doing to them. The one pen which required the most work, was a Dunhill Namiki fountain Pen, with about 80% of the mouth of the cap 'missing'!

I have tackled several of his pens in the past, [with very similar 'injuries'], and I have had considerable success with their restoration. This one turned out to be a particularly challenging repair, but very satisfying.

The gentleman seemed very happy with the work that I had done to his pens, and he did tell me that he would post some 'before and after' pictures on this thread, when he returns to his home, which hopefully will be fairly soon!

All in all, it was a very satisfying day.

As is so often the case at this time of the week, I have very little indication about whether anybody is going to come to my booth at Portobello tomorrow, but I have said in the past, I'm not going to be holding my breath, as recent Saturdays have shown, sometimes the bleakest of outcomes, can turn into a very promising day.

To a greater or lesser degree, none of us are totally in charge of our 'bubble of life'!

So, I for one won't be holding my breath!

Well, as it turned out, today was a bit of a damp squib in terms of business! But I was offered a few items that I think will be quite good additions to my stock in trade.

Firstly, I was offered a Conway Stewart No:87, in it's original box, so that will be in the display cabinet by next Saturday.

Then another general Antiques Dealer brought along three Mont Blanc items, 1] A square 149 desk base for a MB 149 fountain pen. 2] A matching square MB ink well. and 3] also matching the other two items, a MB rocking blotter!

I have yet to discover exactly how the rocking blotter can be 'loaded' with the sheets of blotting paper, [as I can't find a way of fixing the sheets in place], but I will find out this week!

So, it wasn't a total disaster today!

Sorry about the delay, but I've just returned from the Assay Office, to collect the Watermans 58 pen. All the Hall marks have been done, and the next thing to do, is to put the clip in place on the cap.

................... which is a lot easier said than done!

I have found a 'donor clip' from the Watermans spares draw, which I removed from the cap, completely intact, which is quite fortunate, as they are noted for breaking at the two weakest points on the clip!

When I have done it, I will be sending the pen off to my friend Neal, who hopefully will be able to provide some beautiful pictures to post on this thread.

Today was not a particularly good day, up at my booth at Portobello Market, but in a way that was hardly surprising, it being the last Saturday in August, and Bank Holiday this weekend!

One gentleman came to collect his parker 51, which he had left with me to service for him a couple of weeks ago.

Strangely enough, a few pen 'new-comers' turned up, and wanted to look over my selection of vintage fountain pens. They asked me lots of questions about when each pen was made, and who made each of the pens that they wanted to know about. I was quite happy to do this, as I still remember the times when I first started to collect pens, and the dealers that I spoke to were really very uncooperative when asked about the pens! My feeling about this situation is that if I can't be bothered to be helpful to people about the subject that is now part of my life, then it will be time to give it up!

At about 1.00pm, my hopes were raised slightly when a Japanese gentleman arrived. I recognised him from about a year ago, and he wanted to look at my overlaid pens. He then produced a few vintage fountain pens which he was hoping to offer in part-exchange, for one of my pens. We talked about the possibility of doing a deal, for quite a time, but in the end we parted company without striking a deal, so we shook hands, and he departed.

Still, the day passed very quickly, having been kept fairly busy for most of the time that I was there.

Roll on September!

I think that I must be the only one who posts anything on this thread!

Anyway, the reason for this message is to say that the Watermans 58, with silver overlay has been posted off to Neal, who hopefully will do the photographic 'honours' soon, and post some pictures on here!

Many members on this side of the pond are attending various and sundry pen shows in addition to the start of another school year and impending long holiday weekend this week. I'm sure they will return to regular programming once they've settled back into their routines.

I am looking forward to billydo pics! He is an amazing photographer, as we all know! :wub:

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

No, I've been following it on and off. I'm looking forward to the pictures.

I think that I must be the only one who posts anything on this thread!

Anyway, the reason for this message is to say that the Watermans 58, with silver overlay has been posted off to Neal, who hopefully will do the photographic 'honours' soon, and post some pictures on here!

Great to hear the Waterman is off to Neal. Looking forward to the pictures.

Are you planning to attend the WES show in London this year Trufflefinder? If I can fight my way to the front of the crowd around your table I will come and say hello. Interested in talking to you about your Simpini pen.

Yes da vinci! I will definitely be there, and I hope that you will be able to 'fight' your way to my stand on the day!

As usual, there will be a good selection of my overlaid pens, along with a few Simpini pens.

Yes da vinci! I will definitely be there, and I hope that you will be able to 'fight' your way to my stand on the day!

As usual, there will be a good selection of my overlaid pens, along with a few Simpini pens.

Thank you Truffle Finder, I am already looking forward to it! :) :thumbup: