• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Helen350

• Freddy

• mehandiratta

• eliweisz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My favourite pen these days is my first fountain pen, which I bought a couple months ago: a Lamy Safari. I doodle every day in my sketch journal, usually using a Lamy Safari with a medium nib, Iroshizuku Yama-Guri ink:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNgD0Q1jl3I/?taken-by=inkygirl&hl=en

(I tried to embed an image but I think I'm not allowed to link to images until I've made a certain number of posts? This is my first post in Fountain Pen Network!

Debbie (aka fountain pen newbie)

Debbie Ridpath Ohi - Twitter: @inkyelbows - Instagram: @inkygirl - YouTube: @debbieohi

My FP blog (fountain pen comics and doodles): Debbie Ohi's Inky Journal

My favourite pen these days is my first fountain pen, which I bought a couple months ago: a Lamy Safari. I doodle every day in my sketch journal, usually using a Lamy Safari with a medium nib, Iroshizuku Yama-Guri ink:

(I tried to embed an image but I think I'm not allowed to link to images until I've made a certain number of posts? This is my first post in Fountain Pen Network!

:W2FPN:

Those are some really lovely sketches! They look like they could double as illustrations to children's books.

I've never seen a Safari with two colors - did you swap out the section with a different Safari? Looks interesting, in any case

-

As for my pens, I've stuck to dip pens today; I outfitted a Zebra G Pen nib with an ink reservoir, which works surprisingly well.

Hi Debbie. Congrats on your first post. :thumbup:

Love your sketches! And - welcome to FPN.

Practice, patience, perseverance

Today (so far):

1. stainless steel Parker Vector, M, with Diamine Kensington Blue.

2. Noodler's Charlie, flex nib, with Noodler's Blue Ghost.

3. vintage Eversharp Symphony, ? (F or M), with vintage Skrip Peacock Blue.

4. Noodler's Konrad (Medieval Lapis), flex nib, with Diamine Oxford Blue.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Pentel Tradio TRF in white with Diamine Oxblood - Oxblood is beautiful and the Tradio is one of my favorite steel-nibbed pens. Also very reliable and rather lightweight but still sturdy.

Delta Dolcevita Federico in... one of the more boring blues. Also with Diamine Oxblood. This pen has caused me nothing but trouble, but at least it seems to like Diamine inks...

A freaky Frankenpen - also with Diamine Oxblood, hah! This one's a stub I took from a crappy cheap Herlitz calligraphy set (one with several sections - I turned the body and one of the sections into a different Frankenpen and didn't need the 1.1 stub) and a no-name 2.50€ plastic pen I bought ages ago. The threads matched up perfectly, so I thought hey - why not. I did some major grinding work on the nib, but only managed to kind of fix it up before it started getting too wide.

Jinhao x450 and Geha Schulfüller with Pelikan 4001 royal blue - as always.

Today I inked up a pen with sentimental value that was given to me years ago by a gentleman who was a member of a group of men that had lunch at my club every Saturday. This was about 30 years ago, and as a young man new to the city, I learned a lot just by keeping my mouth shut. This older fellow, who was a retired accountant long since passed away, learned that I collected pens, and one day brought a box with several treasures, including a black Sheaffer lever-filler with a 14k gold cap that was engraved with his name. The pen had an EF Triumph nib, and the white dot was located at the very tip of the pen's tail. From nosing around on some Sheaffer identification web sites, I believe this pen may be a fairly rare Crest Deluxe Masterpiece, c.1947-48. I never wrote with the pen because the nib was out of alignment with the feed.

Earlier this year, I took the pen to the Dallas show and asked Sherrell Tyree to take a look at it. Sherrell and her brother Joel are wonderful people whom I've gotten to know at several shows. She recently returned the pen to me with the feed and nib realigned and set. I inked it today with Sheaffer Skrip Blue, and it is writing very nicely. I know my benefactor would be glad to know that his old pen is writing again and that his name is remembered.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

What pen I'm using simply depends on my mood at the time, or what I have at hand to do. Today, I used all of these pens:

Lamy Dark Lilac Safari M with Dark Lilac ink.

TWSBI Vac 700 EF. Just got it cleaned out and put Diamine Pumpkin in it for the fun of it. Which of course meant looking for a reason to write with it.

Jinhao Shimmering Sands X750 M with J Herbin 1670 Carob de Chypre ink.

Pilot Custom Heritage 92 F in blue with Pilot Iroshizuku Murasaki-Shikibu ink.

I have something like 8 other pens inked up, so this list will be highly volatile for me, day-to-day.

Edited by Aquaria

Today I inked up a pen with sentimental value that was given to me years ago by a gentleman who was a member of a group of men that had lunch at my club every Saturday. This was about 30 years ago, and as a young man new to the city, I learned a lot just by keeping my mouth shut. This older fellow, who was a retired accountant long since passed away, learned that I collected pens, and one day brought a box with several treasures, including a black Sheaffer lever-filler with a 14k gold cap that was engraved with his name. The pen had an EF Triumph nib, and the white dot was located at the very tip of the pen's tail. From nosing around on some Sheaffer identification web sites, I believe this pen may be a fairly rare Crest Deluxe Masterpiece, c.1947-48. I never wrote with the pen because the nib was out of alignment with the feed.

Earlier this year, I took the pen to the Dallas show and asked Sherrell Tyree to take a look at it. Sherrell and her brother Joel are wonderful people whom I've gotten to know at several shows. She recently returned the pen to me with the feed and nib realigned and set. I inked it today with Sheaffer Skrip Blue, and it is writing very nicely. I know my benefactor would be glad to know that his old pen is writing again and that his name is remembered.

Great story!

I'm using a Sheaffer Balance Junior today - a beautiful little pen with a semi-flex fine nib, inked with Parker Quink Blue Black.

Practice, patience, perseverance

:W2FPN:

Those are some really lovely sketches! They look like they could double as illustrations to children's books.

I've never seen a Safari with two colors - did you swap out the section with a different Safari? Looks interesting, in any case

-

As for my pens, I've stuck to dip pens today; I outfitted a Zebra G Pen nib with an ink reservoir, which works surprisingly well.

Thanks for the kind words, Guardy!

The multi-color Safaris are from Laywine's in Toronto - they were having a special deal at Scriptus (a Toronto pen conference) and shortly after where customers could choose the color of the barrel, body (or whatever the upper part is called) and cap -- so you could three difference colors in one Safari. I have two of these. :-)

I have tried a dip pen recently but found it super-scratchy. I never heard of an ink reservoir for dip pens!!! Interesting! I'll have to check that out.

Debbie

Debbie Ridpath Ohi - Twitter: @inkyelbows - Instagram: @inkygirl - YouTube: @debbieohi

My FP blog (fountain pen comics and doodles): Debbie Ohi's Inky Journal

Thanks for the kind words, Guardy!

The multi-color Safaris are from Laywine's in Toronto - they were having a special deal at Scriptus (a Toronto pen conference) and shortly after where customers could choose the color of the barrel, body (or whatever the upper part is called) and cap -- so you could three difference colors in one Safari. I have two of these. :-)

I have tried a dip pen recently but found it super-scratchy. I never heard of an ink reservoir for dip pens!!! Interesting! I'll have to check that out.

Debbie

Aaah, so it basically does boil down to mix-and-matching different Safari colors. That's neat!

Dip pens take some getting used to, yes. They can be fairly useful, though.

Those ink reservoirs are small metal parts you can slip over the nib; they basically act as a makeshift feed of sorts. G-pens (very flexible Japanese nibs used for inking Mangas, mostly - that's why I have them, actually, even though I usually draw digitally nowadays) are technically not made for that kind of stuff, but if it fits...

They also hold ink pretty well already, and paired with a reservoir, I can get a good half-page of writing out of one dip, which makes them actually fairly practical.

/EDIT: Actually, make that "almost one entire page of writing with one dip of the pen".

Edited by Guardy

A boring, probably Chinese black pen with a gold clip and ring at the base hiding the join with the end cap. No markings and a small plastic running down from the base joint.

What sets it apart is a fabulous 192o or 30's WHS (Conway Stewart?) nib. The only other marking on it is 1.5. And the nib is indeed about 1.5 mm broad at the tip. It even makes my writing look good!

MCCCXXXVIII

Parker: Vacumatic Emerald Pearl

R&W: German Piston Filler

Wahl: #72 Lever Filler

Parker: "51" Vacumatic

Pens are filled with The Blues...........................

fpn_1480993480__dayandnight_nightandday_

Fred

whether near to me or far No matter..darling where you are

I think of you Night & Day

There's an oh such a hungry yearnin' burnin' inside of me

And it's torment won't be through

Til you let me spend my life making love to you

Day and Night Night and Day

Keeping it simple this week ... I inked up my Sheaffer Imperial desk pen with Sheaffer Black! and I have a TWSBI Vac700 Stub 1.1 with Visconti Red.

Today's No. 2 is my Parker Shadow-Wave Vac, accompanying my No.1 the black striped Pilot Custom.

You can't always get what you want... but if you try sometimes... you just might find... you'll get what you need...