What Pens Are You Using Today 2016

RMN

This is one that came in yesterday. It is a Gate City "New Postal" with a 0.9 mm cursive italic steel nib. The ink used in the writing sample is Noodler's Turquoise.

26023130953_eabbec4e07_z.jpg

26561138411_9481b42a8e_z.jpg

26020886044_126475acb1_z.jpg

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Helen350

• Freddy

• mehandiratta

• eliweisz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Still playing with my new ASA Genius ebonite with 1.1 stub. Iroshizuku Kon-Peki

My new Noodler's Ahab - Tiger Eye with flex nib. Inked with Kon-Peki

TWSBI Eco with 1.1 stub. Chesterfield Antique Orchid

Wality Acrylic 70A MD ED. Diamine Matador

http://i1039.photobucket.com/albums/a479/Raif79/153ecda0-3811-4c48-8c5f-09bafd835537_zpswh3j7nst.jpg

Love it.

http://i1039.photobucket.com/albums/a479/Raif79/IMG_8191_zpsmzguyel2.jpg

http://i1039.photobucket.com/albums/a479/Raif79/IMG_8192_zpst9pa9jzz.jpg

I carry a lot.

A battered, cracked Lamy Vista that has a feed deformed by pliers when I tried to remove it after misaligning it in the section and a broad steel nib that I have Dremelled into an outrageously oblique italic.

Ah, I can feel the waves of contempt from you members of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Pens but fear not, I love this workhorse of a pen. It is my everyday work pen and it lays down a lovely wet line of Diamine registrar's ink on my documents. Both the pen and the italicised writing that the nib affords attract many comments. Mind you, the commentators soon go to sleep when I start explaining the history, chemistry, and advantages of ferrogallic ink.

[Yes folks, you read right -- that was "wet" and "registrar's" in the same sentence!]

Cheers,

David.

http://i1039.photobucket.com/albums/a479/Raif79/IMG_8194_zps42hxk60u.jpg

I call her Old Faithful!

My Noodler's Ahab (in "Arizona") arrived today, which was a nice surprise, since I didn't expect it until tomorrow.
(On the downside, the Jinhao x450 that SHOULD have arrived today didn't...)

After some slight disagreements with the pen (it's nigh-impossible to clean that little tube thing of all the soapy water you need to use to get the manufacturing oils out of the pen and the results are disastrous) and a veritable fountain of purple ink, it now works.

Not quite sure what to think of the nib yet, but the pen as such is absolutely lovely.

I've inked it with Pelikan 4001 violet until I can get my hands on a suitably vibrant ink, and I quite like the color combination. Besides, the violet one is probably my favorite Pelikan ink.

That resin really does smell funny, though.

/EDIT: While I sure appreciate having a nib that I can flex without worrying about it too much, I just compared it to my one "slightly springy" vintage nib*, which gets at least as much line variation** without any of the pressure required to flex an Ahab. It's kind of hilarious, actually. I quite like the Ahab, though. You can do fun stuff with it if you really want to, but probably aren't going to get any accidental line variation.

*admittedly, I was kind of comparing it to a dip pen nib (and a G pen no less) as my only point of reference...

**probably a good deal more, but not without me worrying about springing the nib, so I'm not going to try that

Edited by Guardy

Using my Esterbrook J pen.

The 9550 nib really transformed this pen for me...I absolutely love it.

Lamy Safari Dark Lilac, F nib. I was boring and am running through the enclosed cartridge (which I guess is Lamy Blue) first before I start getting crazy about colors and such.

I must say, while I have other blues roughly the same color, the ink is well behaved -- no spread, bleedthrough or feathering on Piccadilly sketch book paper (although I'd be happier with a slightly shorter dry time).

As for the pen, the color is fabulous. The finish and light weight are a bit disconcerting -- as was the discovery (It's my first Safari) the the ink windows are really HOLES.... :o But I haven't had any issues with the section (my big fear) and the nib is very smooth. It won't every hit the top ten of favorite pens (it loses out to vintage pens, and the more solid feeling Pelikans -- and even to my Pilot Metropolitan [shrug]) but I'm not unhappy about having it.

I will just have to be a bit careful about showing it to my one friend, who has often stated "Everything purple is MINE -- except the dinosaur...." B)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Jinhao 3000 with Goulet 1.1 stub. Inked with Chesterfield Night Sapphire

fpn_1462219923__snapshot_20160502_2.jpg

fpn_1462220065__snapshot_20160502_3.jpg

fpn_1462220177__snapshot_20160502_6.jpg

fivefourteen

Bexley: Poseidon Magnum ll which is fitted with a Bexley 14k Stub

and filled with Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black.

Delta: Nautilus Blue .925 sportin' a Fine nib and filled with Diamine Blue-Black..

Montblanc: 227 Oblique Double Broad and usin' Waterman Blue-Black...

Montblanc: 344 A sexy flexie Fine Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue ink....

fpn_1462236926__clippointdroppointindias

Fred

My Noodler's Ahab (in "Arizona") arrived today, which was a nice surprise, since I didn't expect it until tomorrow.

(On the downside, the Jinhao x450 that SHOULD have arrived today didn't...)

After some slight disagreements with the pen (it's nigh-impossible to clean that little tube thing of all the soapy water you need to use to get the manufacturing oils out of the pen and the results are disastrous) and a veritable fountain of purple ink, it now works.

Not quite sure what to think of the nib yet, but the pen as such is absolutely lovely.

I've inked it with Pelikan 4001 violet until I can get my hands on a suitably vibrant ink, and I quite like the color combination. Besides, the violet one is probably my favorite Pelikan ink.

That resin really does smell funny, though.

/EDIT: While I sure appreciate having a nib that I can flex without worrying about it too much, I just compared it to my one "slightly springy" vintage nib*, which gets at least as much line variation** without any of the pressure required to flex an Ahab. It's kind of hilarious, actually. I quite like the Ahab, though. You can do fun stuff with it if you really want to, but probably aren't going to get any accidental line variation.

*admittedly, I was kind of comparing it to a dip pen nib (and a G pen no less) as my only point of reference...

**probably a good deal more, but not without me worrying about springing the nib, so I'm not going to try that

Let your Ahab sit covered with some baking soda for 2-3 days, and the smell will be cut in half. You can remove the nib and feed, and then put the section, barrel & cap in the baking soda. Trust me when I tell you it helps considerably..

In today’s rotation I have Ratnam Tarpoda (Big Size Ebonite) inked with Krishna Cool Breeze Ink. Ratnam Pens is oldest fountain pen manufacturer and part of Swadeshi Movement in India. The nib is self grounded to medium italic and writes super smooth.

Today’s beautiful thought comes from Nobel Peace Laureate, Mother Teresa

img_20160503_0832571.jpg?w=1050

img_20160503_0832001.jpg?w=1050

img_20160503_0835171.jpg?w=1050

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Jinhao 189 with a Nemosine #5 1.1 stub - Chesterfield Antique Shamrock

ASA Genius with 1.1 JoWo stub - Iroshizuku Kon Peki

Jinhao 3000 with Goulet 1.1 stub - Chesterfield Night Sapphire

Pelikan M200 Green Marble, M -- dip tested with diluted Havusu Turquoise (not a good ink to dilute -- it's too light to be legible that way, and the pen has since been flushed out)

Pelikan M200 Café Crème, italic? stub? (the nib is marked "I"; the box said "IM" and the nib is ginormous and super wet) -- Edelstein Topaz (which may be too wet an ink for this nib...) :o

Parker Vacumatic Major Silver Pearl, F (?) -- diluted Diamine Silver Fox

Lamy Safari Dark Lilac, F -- Lamy Blue (cartridge which came with the pen)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Pilot 78G Broad italic/Diamine Salamander

Pilot Custom Heritage 92 FM/Sailor BungBox 4B sample (almost used up!)

Platinum Preppy 03 Eyedropper'd/Diamine Poppy Red

Let your Ahab sit covered with some baking soda for 2-3 days, and the smell will be cut in half. You can remove the nib and feed, and then put the section, barrel & cap in the baking soda. Trust me when I tell you it helps considerably..

The smell has dissipated a lot already, so I don't think that'll be necessary, but thanks a lot for the tip!

I'll keep that in mind should I ever get my hands on another Ahab (which I absolutely intend to. It's not my all-time favorite - far too finicky - but it's a fun pen for sure).

Talking about that Ahab...

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n522/Guardevoir/Pen%20and%20Writing%20Stuff/P1120270.jpg

(It's prettier in real life, I swear)

I really quite like Standardgraph inks - they're quite desaturated, but there's so much lovely, lovely shading and the colors are so nice.

I have so much more of those on my wishlist right now.

(Plus, my local stationery store sells them. For really unreasonably expensive, but it's the only brick and mortar store near me that does sell them, and it's still cheaper than paying for shipping, so... /sigh)