What Pens Are You Using Today 2016

RMN

Today I inked up a pen with sentimental value that was given to me years ago by a gentleman who was a member of a group of men that had lunch at my club every Saturday. This was about 30 years ago, and as a young man new to the city, I learned a lot just by keeping my mouth shut. This older fellow, who was a retired accountant long since passed away, learned that I collected pens, and one day brought a box with several treasures, including a black Sheaffer lever-filler with a 14k gold cap that was engraved with his name. The pen had an EF Triumph nib, and the white dot was located at the very tip of the pen's tail. From nosing around on some Sheaffer identification web sites, I believe this pen may be a fairly rare Crest Deluxe Masterpiece, c.1947-48. I never wrote with the pen because the nib was out of alignment with the feed.

Earlier this year, I took the pen to the Dallas show and asked Sherrell Tyree to take a look at it. Sherrell and her brother Joel are wonderful people whom I've gotten to know at several shows. She recently returned the pen to me with the feed and nib realigned and set. I inked it today with Sheaffer Skrip Blue, and it is writing very nicely. I know my benefactor would be glad to know that his old pen is writing again and that his name is remembered.

Awesome. :thumbup:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Helen350

• Freddy

• mehandiratta

• eliweisz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Franklin-Christoph Model 45 XLV in Coco Pearl Finish. The thought is inspired by Mark Twain.

The pen comes with the SIG Medium Steel nib and boy it is amazing. Will detail out this in an upcoming review of the pen. And the ink in use is Kaweco Caramel Brown.

dsc02550.jpg?w=768

dsc02560.jpg?w=768

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Still using the Pilot 845. It is behaving better with Pelikan 4001 ink. I may try a different ink once this is gone.

I just picked up a Faber-Castell Basic, Medium nib, carbon fibre finish!

Looks awesome, a bit back heavy (but still comfortable) - turns out European M is way too fat to write on Moleskine paper; so I'm definitely still waiting for the Metropolitan with the fine nib!

Also, the standard Royal Blue cartridge that comes with it is quite boring. The nib is fat enough to get a tiny bit of shading even on cheap paper, but nothing particularly good looking. Might try it on Tomoe River. Definitely getting a converter for it, or reselling cartridges. Or if Faber-Castell cartridges are as cheap in Italy as they are in the States, I might pick up some Moss Green!

Pelikan Piccadilly Circus, Edelstein Amethyst (my pen/ink combo for 2016)

Lamy Safari, Diamine Red Lustre (Christmas card ink)

No name yellow pen, Diamine Magical Forest (Christmas card ink)

Edison Collier, Edelstein Amethyst

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

This is a pen I have owned for about 9-10 yrs. I rarely ever use this pen. There is no name on the cap, barrel or nib. It is a medium nib, and actually pretty smooth with minimal feedback. The barrel reminds me of the feel of porcelain (?) As I am preparing a study on Leadership in the Home, I thought I would put this pen to work. Inked with Iroshizuku Kon Peki.fpn_1481133484__chinesepenb12716.jpg

I have just inked up five more pens (I was down to my last two :doh: ). All but one of them are for the first time, and although well-known, all of the inks are new to my use.

post-129543-0-21980600-1481165135_thumb.jpg

From the left,

• Lamy Imporium (M) - GvFC Hazelnut Brown
  • Waterman 0552 - Waterman Mysterious Blue
  • (hiding next to the #52 is its companion 0552 mechanical pencil, with a red 1.1 mm lead).
  • Three Waterman Le Man 100 Patrician, respectively inked with MB Irish Green, MB Shakespeare Velvet Red, and Lamy Turquoise. The blue pen is M, the other two F nibs.

I have been waiting several months to reach the point where I was ready to ink the three Le Mans. The Imporium I have used before and like a lot, while the 0552 set is a recent purchase.

Given I have or will soon have three more pens new to try, I have better get writing to use that ink!

X

After loosing my old parker at work I have resorted to a BAOER 79 Black Cross Silver Line fountain pen.

Which surprised me to say the least, writes beautifully

Today the Pilot 845 is sitting unused while I use my Nakaya Heki-tamenuri Portable Writer. The 845 will sit unused for five days to see if it starts right up.

Pelikan M800 Lizard Skin Newton

MB 146

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Pentel Tradio TRF in white, inked with Diamine Oxblood (I know it looks kind of cheap, but it's the most stylish student's pen I've ever found in a physical store here in Germany and it writes exceedingly well. I've got a Delta Dolcevita Federico with the exact same nib width and ink and I know which of them I'm using more frequently...).

No-name/Herlitz plastic cheapskate frankenpen, Diamine Oxblood (cobbled it together to have an Italic nib for Oxblood (because that's just beautiful) and it works well enough)

Parker 75 with Quink Black for everything where Oxblood would feather/bleed too much (This pen, a Parker 45 flighter and a 1950's Geha student's pen are my pens for crappy paper. I've never come across something they couldn't handle)

Laban S-C1B-F with Pelikan 4001 royal blue (it writes very well, but it's the most expensive pen I own, so I can't really use it at university)

... so, yeah. Oxblood is basically my absolutely favorite color in ink form. I'm normally very bad at deciding on one ink color - I've taken all of my notes since I got the ink in blood red. Pages upon pages. That's virtually unheard of.

Pelikan M215 Rings EF (Namiki Blue)

Pelikan Twist Bronze M (Pelikan Violet)

Inked: Aurora Optima EF (Pelikan Tanzanite); Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 Needlepoint (Sailor Kiwa Guro); Sheaffers PFM I Reporter/Fine (Diamine Oxblood); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black); Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

Today it is a Platinum maki-e based on the #3776 century with a Sansui design.

http://www.fototime.com/992CC9CCE630EA1/medium800.jpg

Beautiful pen! Wow.

Today it is a Platinum maki-e based on the #3776 century with a Sansui design.

http://www.fototime.com/992CC9CCE630EA1/medium800.jpg