Don't Just Tell Us About The Pen You're Using, *show* Us! - 2016

RMN

broke down and shelled out $64.99 for the Waterman Phileas, top, but, not being wealthy, that will probably be the last time that I spend that kind of money for a pen. Why would I, when the Chinese Jinhao, below, is every bit as good--actually a bit better--at $2.00 on Ebay? The French pen works fine, but so does the Jinhao, one of about twenty that I own. One sees wonderful pens advertised for $1,000.00 or more. Why would Bill Gates spend that kind of money?

See my post directly above yours.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eliweisz

• mehandiratta

• Inky.Fingers

• akustyk

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been looking at 256's recently. Surprisingly big pens!

Yes, they're beautiful--I'd love to find one in good condition.

I dint touch the pen, it came in this perfect/Mint condition, only the nib I polished with simichrome.

BTW seeing your country flag, this pen came from India ;)

Wow... U should guide me to these deals..

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Wow... U should guide me to these deals..

Well, this pen get a funny story, as I mentioned in another post, I got a call one day that I have a package and I went to pick it, when I opened it I found 6 pens in it that I had never bought or knew about, my friend had send them to me, I bought three of the six pens, two watermans and one parker 75 vermeil ;)

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

The Leonardt G nib I was using previously wore out so I'm trying out a new nib. It's a no name/rebranded crown nib, but it's easy to handle and excellent for writing small and fast. It's not very flexible (this is about as much as it will flex), though it flexes easily and is very smooth. I really like it. :)

26616554492_a4c48b2b91_z.jpg

Ink is J Herbin Rouge Hematite, which is not quite suitable for dip pens. It doesn't give fine hairlines, though as it doesn't blob everywhere I'm still using it.

Very nice! Is that a Blackwell oblique holder? I like its unfussy lines but have been hesitant to order one because of comments that the screw attachment can distort nibs. How do you find it?

Very nice! Is that a Blackwell oblique holder? I like its unfussy lines but have been hesitant to order one because of comments that the screw attachment can distort nibs. How do you find it?

It is indeed the Blackwell holder, and thank you. :)

Bear in mind this is the only oblique holder I've used, I think it's excellent. I like that the screw adjustment means it can easily take nibs of varying sizes. I haven't found that it distorts nibs, but then I tend to put a nib in and stick with it till it wears out. Also, I'd wonder whether the purported distortion might not be at least partially due to user error? It could be easy to tighten the screw too much.

Edited by candide

I was once a bottle of ink, Inky Dinky Thinky Inky, Blacky Minky Bottle of Ink!

I hope everyone's weekend is going well. I am just back from going to watch a circus with the family, and am planning relax for the rest of the evening with a glass (or 3) of wine. ;)

26631067722_7266451078_b.jpg

26658430761_ea39ffaa89_b.jpg

26118140924_d8470ec731_b.jpg

26698524346_9aa7595f41_b.jpg

26724503985_6837cb8f3a_b.jpg

Pen: Pelikan M101N Lizard with 1.5mm Italic nib

Ink: A mixture of J. Herbin 1670 Bleu Ocean & Stormy Grey

Paper: L!FE Cream Writing Pad

SNAK, thank you! :blush:

I love your Stormy Ocean mix. ;) And as always, your photos. I didn't think I'd like the Lizard M101N until I saw your photos! If Pelikan had product photography as good as yours, they'd sell many more pens (to me, at least). :P Does the old italic nib fit and screw into the pen perfectly? Every now and then I think about getting an M101N before they all sell out, but the idea of yet another modern Pelikan nib puts me off. -_-

It is indeed the Blackwell holder, and thank you. :)

Bear in mind this is the only oblique holder I've used, I think it's excellent. I like that the screw adjustment means it can easily take nibs of varying sizes. I haven't found that it distorts nibs, but then I tend to put a nib in and stick with it till it wears out. Also, I'd wonder whether the purported distortion might not be at least partially due to user error? It could be easy to tighten the screw too much.

That's reassuring - thanks. This will be my first oblique holder too. :)

26698524346_9aa7595f41_b.jpg

Thank you SNAK, that's a lovely Pelikan ;)

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n522/Guardevoir/Pen%20and%20Writing%20Stuff/P1120216.jpg
The cart is just about empty and I considered switching ink colors. Bought this pen in late February I think - the only thing I've had in there were this ink and Pelikan royal blue and I should probably experiment more.

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n522/Guardevoir/Pen%20and%20Writing%20Stuff/P1120199.png

...But I can't. Look at it, it's too pretty.

26631067722_7266451078_b.jpg

Gorgeous pen. I would buy one in a second if they didn't run about twice what I'm willing to pay for it.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

Hi all

Berghain, Kylo Renn would be jealous.

post-71947-0-64189500-1462052705_thumb.jpg

Edited by Uncle Red

Hi all

T

Berghain, Kylo Renn would be jealous.

Thank you Uncle Red for the information, the nib doesn't rotate when extended, so not an early one ( now I have to spend the rest of my life chasing an early version, you are devil :P ).

Best regards.

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n522/Guardevoir/Pen%20and%20Writing%20Stuff/P1120253.jpg

Comprised of the single worst calligraphy pen I've EVER owned (and I have one of those cheap ones by Online, so that's a feat) and one freebie fountain pen that randomly broke and spewed an entire BIG cartridge of Pelikan 4001 Turquoise all over my stuff one day.

Together they made something that earned even my dad's seal of not-complete-disapproval, which is a feat, given that the original pens didn't even meet my very humble standards.
It's a nice, wet writer, but beautifully controlled. The nib could do with some tuning, but it's nothing I can't handle.

Nib and feed sit way too far back and it's a wonder they stay put as well as they do and quite frankly, the first sentence I wrote with this pen was "wow. how does ANY of that even work." but it does so I'm just not going to think about it too much.

It's a shame it's so butt-ugly.

Edited by Guardy

26588065692_3c679a401b_c.jpg

I've never been interested in the post-celluloid Montblancs, but this one is really attractive. I like the clean lines and streamlined shape a lot. Does the sterling silver make it very heavy though? And is the feed still ebonite or is it now plastic?

That's reassuring - thanks. This will be my first oblique holder too. :)

I hope you like it too! :)

Practice books & a Nakaya

http://i.imgur.com/Ioygg2r.jpg

tartuffo, glad to see your italic writing and photos again! :) As always, your Nakayas are beautiful.

I've never been interested in the post-celluloid Montblancs, but this one is really attractive. I like the clean lines and streamlined shape a lot. Does the sterling silver make it very heavy though? And is the feed still ebonite or is it now plastic?

The pen isn't very heavy at all, especially when compared to a solid 18k gold Parker Premier of about the same size. I find it extremely comfortable to write with. The feeds on these older pens are all ebonite.