Ze, oh, ze zakken zo af

Zouden er soms elastiekjes in moeten?

Or in english:

My socks are sagging so badly

My socks are sagging so badly

My socks are sagging to my feet with no reason

They, oh, they're sagging so badly

They, oh, they're sagging so badly

Maybe there should be rubber bands in there?

This sums up my schooldays perfectly. :D I could never get those uniform socks to stay up, even when new!

Candide: Obliques can be tricky. They're about finding the right sweet spot. They're meant for people who rotate the pen in their hands so the nib is not upright with the slit on the very top of the nib, but twisted a bit. Keep trying and maybe you'll find the sweet spot, or maybe you'll just rid yourself of the pest. :rolleyes:

I'm definitely going to persevere with the pen, but it is as you say and as someone who doesn't rotate the pen to the degree the nib was designed for, it's hard to find and maintain the right angle. So I finally understand the feelings of all those who dislike the Safari's grip. :D At the moment I am getting a lot of hard starts with the pen, which I'm attributing to user error.

The often vocal appreciation for obliques on this forum made me very curious about oblique nibs, so even if it hasn't been such a pleasant experience for me, I'm glad I was able to satisfy my curiosity about them. :)

Hahaha thank you, Candide but it was your post below...

Thank you so much for your kind comments, you have me blushing... :blush: :blush: :blush: But I still have much to work on when it comes to consistency. If you were to see it in person, the inconsistencies would be obvious. But if it means that we will get to see more examples of your lovely writing, pens and photography, I'll happily take credit. :D And likewise, your work (and that of many others in this thread) has motivated me to improve my handwriting (both calligraphic and normal cursive). Being able to see more than just photos of pens, but also of what people write or draw with them is why this is a favourite thread of mine to read. :)

I think I have seen your drawing in an older thread. I don't believe I commented at the time, but it's beautiful. :) I especially like how you've managed to emulate the traditional East Asian brush drawing style with an italic nib. Amazing! (I had to learn some Chinese painting when I was younger, and it was so hard. My results were pitiful. -_- )

My "rather unwise impulse purchase" unfortunately has a few more issues besides the nib, such that if I had been more awake and/or careful I would not have bought it. Still, it serves as a lesson to me, and I hope that I will be able to grow to appreciate it despite its inauspicious beginning. (And none of its problems are unrepairable, I think.) I completely agree with you about nibs and sometimes needing to get used to the way they prefer to write.

I too am guilty of chasing after various expensive pens, but I think the Petit is actually a wonderful pen. Mine have put up with 10+ years of abuse and neglect, often for months, and still write with no issues.

Ptero, as always, I enjoy looking at your sketches. :) I would never have thought that the first and second ones, but especially the second, were done digitally! The crumpled paper looks completely like a pencil drawing to me. :yikes:

I was once a bottle of ink, Inky Dinky Thinky Inky, Blacky Minky Bottle of Ink!

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eliweisz

• mehandiratta

• Inky.Fingers

• akustyk

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

AAAndrew Bobjpage described it as looking like a 70s lava lamp.. :lol: :lol:

It is certainly "bold". I love it.

richila You'd be surprised how many of my pens the mug matches. :D I do admit to having a bit of a red, white, black thing going on.

Ian

Hi y'all!

Dipped my toes into some Black Letter kind of stuff.

http://kephost.com/images/2016/02/09/dd2438cff5fbf509b52983b68d3a04d9.jpg

http://kephost.com/images/2016/02/09/52955de7cb24337f68ebd180ba8add4d.jpg

Pilot Parallel 2.4 - J.Herbin Emerald of Chivor - Tomoe River

Love this thread...it's so much fun!

Practicing dip pen toady...among other things I have to learn to let the lines dry...smudge fail happens!

attika: Gotta get me some of that ink and a Parallel pen...!

fpn_1455057048__oblique_notes.jpg

"You mustn’t be afraid to dream a little bigger darling.” "Forever optimistic with a theme and purpose." "My other pen is oblique and dippy."

Had some money in my Paypal account so I picked up this Sheaffer Taranis. I was pleasantly surprised! Very fine nib and writes beautifully.

Great value for $100

:) :)

Being able to see more than just photos of pens, but also of what people write or draw with them is why this is a favourite thread of mine to read. :)

⬆ ⬆ ⬆ YESSS ⬆⬆⬆

and what some people write or draw with them is truly astounding

" I think I have seen your drawing in an older thread. "

Yup, I was joking with Maurizio who like me admires the

Tokyo Pen Shop Quill's Pilot Vermillion 845 .

I copied the drawing from the Mustard Seed Garden

Manual of Painting originally published in 1679.

http://i.imgur.com/kmySfqe.jpg

There are so many beauties on this thread, I can't possibly comment on all the gorgeous pens and writings and drawings that have been posted on here, but may I just say that I soooo love reading this thread. Please please keep them coming. And I hope people who haven't posted but have been reading only will consider showing their pens and inks and handwriting. This is open for everyone, and I would love to see more and more please!

This is my contribution today.

24299861853_0581e85b09_b.jpg

24559136709_ff972d5089_b.jpg

24299882203_5bd87094e0_b.jpg

Pen: Brause Rustica 648 Dip Pen (left oblique)

Ink: J. Herbin Gold Pigment Ink (not for fountain pen)

Paper: Crown Mill Laid (Blue)

There are so many beauties on this thread, I can't possibly comment on all the gorgeous pens and writings and drawings that have been posted on here, but may I just say that I soooo love reading this thread. Please please keep them coming. And I hope people who haven't posted but have been reading only will consider showing their pens and inks and handwriting. This is open for everyone, and I would love to see more and more please!

very nice,,,

i love the way it is written on that blue paper...

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Hi y'all!

Dipped my toes into some Black Letter kind of stuff.

http://kephost.com/images/2016/02/09/52955de7cb24337f68ebd180ba8add4d.jpg

Pilot Parallel 2.4 - J.Herbin Emerald of Chivor - Tomoe River

nobody uses chivor better than you

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Attika89, your posts are what made me buy Emerald of Chivor. :D You make this ink (and so many others) look absolutely stunning.

SNAK, I love the combination of gold ink on blue paper. I am deeply envious of your snail mail recipient. :lol: How do you find the Herbin gold ink? I have Winsor & Newton's version, but I find it a bit watery and the gold particles settle to the bottom of the bottle very quickly.

tartuffo, thank you for mentioning the Mustard Seed Garden Manual of Painting, I'm going to look it up. :) Glad to see more of your lovely writing, especially when there's Joseph Conrad. :wub:

My days of waiting and anxiously checking the mailbox are over. The pen I'd decided upon to replace my current, very dry Kon-Peki writer arrived, and it's the complete opposite of dry. Hopefully now with this pen I'll be able to tell the difference between Kon-Peki and Kobe Van Gogh Cobalt. :P

IMG_0886.JPG

I think I finally understand how a pen can be too smooth. :unsure:

And now for some terrible handwriting... for the sake of harmony you see?

EoC's partner has been home for a few days but has had to go back to work in another town. Into the 15th consecutive month of having to live apart because of work commitments.

At times EoC feels like this:

fpn_1455095573__wahl_li_bai_1.jpg

fpn_1455095601__wahl_nib.jpg

Wahl Eversharp Thingy with a #2 nib (quite soft and springy) and filled with Rohrer & Klingner Scabiosa.

EoC, your handwriting is far from terrible. It's neat and very easy to read. :) Certainly better than my shaky, over-caffeinated writing. I had to learn that poem in school ages ago, and reading your post I was surprised that the lines came back to me easily.

That's just stunning.

Agreed, SNAK. GREAT combination of paper and ink color. I've never dared using a light metallic ink on darker paper, but now I may have to give that a try! Your creativity is such an inspiration!

Edited by HalloweenHJB

Oh, Snak. Thanks. Now I have to get some of that ink. :wacko: Gorgeous!

Those Rustica nibs can be quite challenging with the sharp oblique. I have a broad version and still struggle to find a hand that works well with it, that I know how to do. (aye, there's the rub)

Meanwhile, still working on realizing that when I write with a pen with lots of flex, just because you CAN flex does not mean you SHOULD flex. This Spencerian 230 is interesting. On the one hand it acts like a turned-up-point bowl pen, smooth and medium line, but on the other it flexes really well. Kind of like a luxury sedan with a massive engine and touchy handling in the corners.

fpn_1455116707__image.jpg

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne