Best Pen/ink Combo For Moleskine

Alexcat

I've been reading some threads on the pros and cons of the Moleskine-Fountain Pen Connection, but here I'd like a specific something: Im a huge fan of Leonard Cohen, and got a couple of limited edition Moleskines.

Still drooling over them. Meantimes, I'd be grateful for any suggestions for specific pens, or inks. Im thinking a fine nib is best...?

Photo at the bottom....

Alex

post-110936-0-93876500-1452322133_thumb.jpg

"As many nights endure Without a moon or star So will we endure When one is gone and far "Leonard Cohen, of blessed memory(21/09/1934-7/11/2016)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alexcat

• FOUR X FOUR

• Shaggy

• max dog

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The one Moleskine that IS fountain pen friendly, is the Moleskine sketch. The paper is thicker.

I don't believe there is such a thing as a fountain pen friendly Moleskin notebook, I still have a couple I have to use up but will never buy another one.

Rhodia or Claire Fontaine for me...

Note! they could come in handy if you run out of blotting paper - just tear a few pages out of the notebook and use them as blotting paper.... :D

Edited by GordonOZ

Nature is the one song of praise that never stops singing. - Richard Rohr

Poets don't draw. They unravel their handwriting and then tie it up again, but differently. - Jean Cocteau

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς

Totally off topic but Leonard Cohen recently turned 80. The New York Times featured him in an article about living for the present-- he said that since he turned 80 he was going to start smoking cigarettes again!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I don't believe there is such a thing as a fountain pen friendly Moleskin notebook, I still have a couple I have to use up but will never buy another one.

Note! they could come in handy if you run out of blotting paper - just tear a few pages out of the notebook and use them as blotting paper.... :D

The Moleskines Sketchbook is they only notebook that will stand up to FP ink and not bleed through.

:D

I agree with this too. I have a couple of the pocket ones and have started using them just to finish them.

I only use one side and not the reverse.

Okay, fine. I'm Just talking to hear my self. I don't know what I'm talking about

Perhaps an iron gall ink in a Japanese Fine nib might help? Or a nanoparticle ink?

I used a pencil in my Hobbit LE, the paper was too awful for normal fountain pen ink. The first Moleskine I bought ages ago actually had decent paper for fountain pens, but I really regret wasting my money on the Hobbit and Le Petit Prince LEs. I love the cover designs, but the paper is only fit for the recycling bin. :angry: (Le Petit Prince has even worse paper than the Hobbit, you can tell no thought was put into it.)

I was once a bottle of ink, Inky Dinky Thinky Inky, Blacky Minky Bottle of Ink!

Totally off topic but Leonard Cohen recently turned 80. The New York Times featured him in an article about living for the present-- he said that since he turned 80 he was going to start smoking cigarettes again!

He turned 80 on 21st September, 2014: and he did indeed have one cigarette :)

My beloved husband turned 80 one year earlier....he beamed up to heaven last year.

(In a very peculiar coincidence, my first boyfriend so so shared 21st September as his birthday)

Alex

"As many nights endure Without a moon or star So will we endure When one is gone and far "Leonard Cohen, of blessed memory(21/09/1934-7/11/2016)

I like my moleskine with a fine Pilot nib and Namiki ink.

Thank you, Shaggy.

Alex

Ah well, to quote a Leonard Cohen song, "Nevermind". I was and still am delighted to get them - even if I end up using a pencil. The whole point was/is that it's a special thing for me.

I may try a Lamy fine nib. See how that goes. But Im still very pleased to have them....

Alex

Edited by Alexcat

I suggest you use fine or EF nibs and check out this blog:

http://inkyjournal.blogspot.com

Thank you....that's really helpful. I didn't want to get into the whole "why Moleskine + fountain pen = no" discussion.....I *know* they aren't natural partners, but I love my Leonard ones, shall treasure them, and was just wondering about possibilities.

Much appreciated. Thinking about a Lamy EF nib.

Alex

Edited by Alexcat

I use Moleskines only with either Pelikan 4001 blue.black or Rohrer & Klinger Salix. This works quite reasonably in dryer nibs like KaWeCo M or F, Kaigelu 316 M or Pilot MR F. All other combinations I have tried are unpredictable at best.

Here a slightly out of date site where somebody collected some variations http://inkyjournal.blogspot.nl/search/label/100%25%20Moleskine-proof%20ink

Also keep in mind that the paper-quality in the Moleskines varies widely so noting is guaranteed here.

Okay, fine. I'm Just talking to hear my self. I don't know what I'm talking about

No you're not, I did take notice :).

Right now I don't have a sketchbook - didn't even know there were any, but I will try one at some stage.

No you're not, I did take notice :).

Right now I don't have a sketchbook - didn't even know there were any, but I will try one at some stage.

As did I....apologies for not acknowledging

Alex

I use Moleskines only with either Pelikan 4001 blue.black or Rohrer & Klinger Salix. This works quite reasonably in dryer nibs like KaWeCo M or F, Kaigelu 316 M or Pilot MR F. All other combinations I have tried are unpredictable at best.

Here a slightly out of date site where somebody collected some variations http://inkyjournal.blogspot.nl/search/label/100%%20Moleskine-proof%20ink

Also keep in mind that the paper-quality in the Moleskines varies widely so noting is guaranteed here.

Many thanks....very helpful

Alex

alexcat, I've never seen that edition. Congratulations on the acquisition. The molie-themed traffic here is mostly hate. I have dozens of the little rascals spanning a couple of generations of manufacturing. And I enjoy them all. I simply changed the way I use molies when the paper became less fountain pen friendly. I only use the recto side of each leaf. This makes bleedthrough irrelevant. It also reduces the information density by 50% so stuff is easier to findnot that I go looking back through my rantings often. And I go through a notebook quickly, which is good because I enjoy seeing my notebook shelf fill up with completed volumes.

Find any pen that fits your fingers . Find any ink you like. Adjust your usage to fit the tools you have chosen.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

alexcat, I've never seen that edition. Congratulations on the acquisition. The molie-themed traffic here is mostly hate. I have dozens of the little rascals spanning a couple of generations of manufacturing. And I enjoy them all. I simply changed the way I use molies when the paper became less fountain pen friendly. I only use the recto side of each leaf. This makes bleedthrough irrelevant. It also reduces the information density by 50% so stuff is easier to findnot that I go looking back through my rantings often. And I go through a notebook quickly, which is good because I enjoy seeing my notebook shelf fill up with completed volumes.

Find any pen that fits your fingers . Find any ink you like. Adjust your usage to fit the tools you have chosen.

Bogiesan,

Thank you so much....what a lovely ( and very helpful) response. Really good. Loved the descriptions....I've been looking at molies(love that) and found lots of different ones available: I had no idea. Sent for a bright red one(my favourite colour)

I love seeing notebooks lined up on a shelf....got a notion for a rainbow, now :)

Im a big filofax fan, and only use one side of the paper there too...in fact, that's my usual thing to do, so it's logical.

Cheers and thanks for lifting my spirits

Alex