The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Thornton Ink

cheap ink

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#81 Charles Skinner

Charles Skinner

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 November 2018 - 13:18

So far, the ink has not clogged the second pen I used it in.  Nice color.  C. S. 

Sponsored Content

#82 bob_hayden

bob_hayden

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 961 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2018 - 15:05

WARNING

During the past couple years, pen 'n' more has sold Thornton ink in bottles at very low prices if you bought in quantity.  Typical quantities were 1, 2, 4, 6,12,   The main photo always showed how many bottles you got.  Now there are at least a couple of sellers who seem to be using the same photos, but the quantity you get is NOT as shown in the photo.  In one case the photo showed four bottles and I got one.  In anoth4er it showed 12 and I got two.  Thus the price was about the same as Diamine or Sheaffer or other much better known inks. 

#83 sodul

sodul

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2018 - 05:50

Ouch Bob! Thanks for the warning as I would be very disappointed. On the cheaper inks side, if you exclude yellow that they are trying to dump, the Thorntons inks do not seem price competitive anymore compared to Noodler's or Diamine that start in the $0.11/mL and $0.19/mL ranges. Camlin can be had for around $0.06/mL shipped from India at reasonable volumes but there is only red, black and blue. Hero ink, round bottles, is around $0.08/mL but only in Blue or Black, and the Carbon Black is to be avoided in nicer pens as it has carbon sediments.

I'm already very well supplied in blue and black inks so it will probably be a while before I make more ink purchases.

#84 bob_hayden

bob_hayden

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 961 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2018 - 16:22

There are no bargains left that I can see in Thornton bottled inks but cartridges in several colors are available on eBay at about $0.06/ml in quantity (around $7 postpaid for 12 packs of 12).

Thornton.jpg

The purple is a bit on the light and bright side.  The turquoise goes on likewise but is duller than the scan when dry.  The brown is more orange in real life.  The scan is accurate for the pink.  This is on a sheet of paper that accidentally got mixed in with the good stuff which accounts for the feathering.  The colors were the same on other papers.

#85 bob_hayden

bob_hayden

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 961 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2018 - 01:02

Over on the Inky TOD thread for orange someone wanted to create their dream orange by mixing two readily available oranges.  This led to a request for tips on ink mixing, and the suggestion of a thread for Frankeninks.  Looking around FPN I saw that there is a thread for making inks that includes mixing already mixed inks as well as inks from scratch.  Now I have already shared some Thornton mixes here, and thought of posting more mixes over there, but a ground rule is one ink per thread.  I'm not sure that's working as a typical thread there consists of a single post, usually with no picture, and no replies.  In any event, my scans show many inks per page.  Since most of them are mixes of Thornton inks, and I had already posted some Thornton mixes here, I thought I would add more to this thread. 

First I have two pages that show a variety of colors, especially attempts to make a bleed-free Always Greener and a perfect blue-black.

t26ja18.jpg

The scan minimizes the differences among the greens.  In real life the 4:1 is barely legible, the 7:2 is close to Always Greener, 3:1 is less yellow, and 2:1 and 1:1 are a blue-green (though not far from some inks sold as green).  The 1:2 at the bottom of the page is even more so.  None of the green mixes bleed!

t19fb18.jpg

In general the mixes containing blue or turquoise are darker three and a half weeks later, though the 7:2 yellow:green is about the same -- great as it's my favorite!-)  The original Thornton Blue and Turquoise also show this pattern of writing ever darker as they sit in the pen.  The ink I called "Dishwater" was a surprise.  I don't remember what I was shooting for but I got a very pale grey.  After sitting around for a while it is now a very nice dark grey.  I also liked the 1:1 yellow:red mix. 

The Thornton inks in bottles are mostly still available, but not at the bargain prices in effect when I began this project.  Cartridges are still quite cheap and I have been slurping black ink out of their Lamy cartridges for mixing as I have very little in bottles.

Happy mixing!

#86 bob_hayden

bob_hayden

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 961 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2018 - 00:50

Here's more on the various greens in various pens (and misc. other colors).

t22oc18.jpg

t21mr18.jpg

t05nv18.jpg

t05mr18.jpg

t13fb18.jpg

t15oc18.jpg

t06mr18.jpg

t04ap18.jpg

t05oc18.jpg

Edited by bob_hayden, 25 December 2018 - 00:58.

#87 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,536 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2018 - 01:54

Very nice mixes!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#88 bob_hayden

bob_hayden

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 961 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2018 - 21:00

To a first approximation, you can get blues as dark as you like until you can't tell them from black by mixing blue and black ink.  Mixing turquoise and black gives colors similar to classic blue-blacks though more black gives the appearance of greater saturation.  There are many examples above. One exception to these patterns is this mix of blue and black that looks like a saturated version of a classic blue-black in this XF calligraphy nib.  (That's XF compared to other calligraphy nibs.)  It's darker and murkier in real life.

t20dc18.jpg

Edited by bob_hayden, 25 December 2018 - 21:04.

#89 bob_hayden

bob_hayden

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 961 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2018 - 12:45

Brown mixes

t24fb18.jpg

t11nv18.jpg

#90 miwishi63

miwishi63

AZPenGuy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2018 - 17:11

I purchased a set of Thornton's disposable fountain pens about a year ago. They all work well. The ink samples posted here appear to closely match what I have.

-Mike

#91 bob_hayden

bob_hayden

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 961 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2018 - 00:00

When Thornton inks in bottles ceased to be on sale at clearance prices I ordered some in Lamy-style cartridges.  I'd had OK experiences with all but the black cartridges, but black was exactly what I was short of for mixing.  (So far I have not seen in the mixes the flow issues I'd had with the black ink in Lamy cartridges.)  These cartridges hold 1.2 ml of ink.  I snip the end off with wire cutters and slurp out the ink with a syringe.  It's a bit of a nuisance, but you can measure the proportions in your mix just by counting. 

TLamy.jpg

#92 bob_hayden

bob_hayden

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 961 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2018 - 22:58

The mixes based on Lamy-style cartridges includes some attempts at a burgundy or wine colored ink.  In general these came out more brown than I would like, which perhaps is not surprising as the readily available premixed burgundies are more brown than I would like.  While Binder Burgundy is not exactly what I had in mind, either, it is unusual in avoiding brown.  Here are some more of my attempts. 

t15ap18.jpg

t07mr18.jpg

#93 bob_hayden

bob_hayden

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 961 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2019 - 00:54

Time for misc. starting with a shot at Dark Lilac.

t10dc18.jpg

t25nv18.jpg

t20dc18.jpg

t16fb18.jpg

t06fb18.jpg

t06dc18.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cheap ink

Sponsored Content

|