Rohrer & Klingner 2014 Taiwan Limited Ed. "青花瓷" (Pics Re-Uploaded)

chingdamosaic

I posted this review a few weeks ago, but the pics weren't showing successfully. Since I could no longer edit the post, I decide to re-post it and add more detailed description....feel free to correct my word choice or strange grammar!

(BTW, I'm not sure if I should ask the moderator to delete the original one? But there are quite a few replies by other FPN members...)

------------------------------------------back to the theme--------------------------------------

Rh&K's Taiwanese agent, 尚羽堂(Fine Writing International), asked the German factory to customized an ink in order to celebrate their 3rd anniversary.

After over half a year of designing and testing, the final product was released in June, 2014.

post-104429-0-82765200-1452048447_thumb.jpg

(photo credit: Fine Writing International)

The ink was named "青花瓷"(pronounced as Chin-Hua Tsu/ Qing Hua Ci), referring to the white porcelain with blue-enameled pattern made in Ming Dynasty(1368-1644). According to Fine Writing International, they chose this theme to commemorate the history of trade between the East and the West( FYI, Chin-Hua Tsu was one of the main products China exported to Europe around 17th century).

Rh&K Ching-Hua Tsu is an Taiwan limited edition, for only 1000 bottles in total. Fine Writing International kept the ones with no.0 and no.1000 in their own shop window, and released the other 998 on the internet or to other ink/pen retail shops in Taiwan.

I got the one with number 406(matching my birthday!) from a dear friend.

Box design

post-104429-0-19269100-1452050431_thumb.jpg

It's a white box covered with transparent spot varnish, resembling the enamel texture/pattern.

So elegant, I love this--I wonder which side should be credited with this design, Germany or Taiwan?

How it opens:

post-104429-0-90821000-1452050684_thumb.jpg

Hand-written number:

post-104429-0-32854300-1452050724_thumb.jpg

How it writes with Brause No.361 dip pen, on ROSSI paper(yellowish)

post-104429-0-82713300-1452050799_thumb.jpg

● Color: a darker blue with gray hue, but a clean and clear one--like it!

● Saturation: medium.

● Shading: great

Flow: great. Watery, yet sticky(?) enough to cling to the nib, easy to write with.

● Bleed through/ Feathering: none. (the smearing at the bottom was caused by my accidentally closing the notebook when the ink was still wet)

● Water resistance: poor

● Dry time: 5-10 sec with fine nib; 1 min with dip pen/ flex nib.

Fades away real fast. I have two other blue inks with similar color: Platinum Blue Black & Diamine China Blue, and they all look rich and saturate when fresh out of the bottle, and then fades into a grayish blue in a speed visible to human eye. So, is this some kind of character of blue inks? (on the other hand, Pilot Kon-Peki and De Atramentis Forget Me Not, the ones I categorized as "sky blue", don't seem to have such feature.)

Here's a demonstration of how Rh&K Ching-Hua Tsu and Diamine China Blue change their color within 10 minutes: (test with Brause no.361, on white MUJI grid)

post-104429-0-16751000-1452052208.jpg

post-104429-0-46939300-1452052251_thumb.jpg

post-104429-0-13421000-1452052265_thumb.jpg

Diamine fades into a greenish blue, whereas Rh&K a more gray/violet one.

And another comparison of how these two inks look, when written with Brause no.361, glass dip pen, and Platinum 3776 14K EF nib:

post-104429-0-98647400-1452052787_thumb.jpg

I haven't decided if I like the original color or the faded one more.

However, I do find it fascinating that these two blues resemble the different aspects of Ching-Hua Tsu in the history.

When the Chinese royal artisans first developed the techniques/style of Ching-Hua Tsu around 15th century, they used the precious "lapis lazuli" from Central Asia to make the pure, saturate, blue enamel. The material was so rare that the making and possessing of Ching-Hua Tsu was exclusive for the royal court at the beginning.

As the Ming government closed down the trade with Central Asia, the Ching-Hua Tsu artisans were forced to find substitutes for lapis lazuli. With the mature technique and large factories, the porcelain with enamel of less-quality(often mingled with gray, green, purple or other colors) was introduce to popular market and eventually become the most valuable goods in world trade.

So, writing with this ink and watching it changes its color over time, is just like watching a time lapse documentary of Ching-Hua Tsu : )

If you are also interested in the history of colors/pigments/dyes, this book is highly recommended:

"Colour: Travels Through The Paint Box" by Victoria Finlay( 2003)

● Suggestion:

If you are looking for this kind of blue, don't bother. You definitely can find another substitute in the vast ocean of blue inks!

If you like the idea of Ching-Hua Tsu, or you like the box design, or you are a big fan of Rh&K and vow to complete your collection, and you happened to be in Taiwan right now, try contact the retailers to see if they still have some in stock(the ones in Fine Writing International are all sold out by now).

And I'll end this review with a doodle done with this ink:

post-104429-0-05504600-1452055526.jpg

pen: Mabie-Todd SWAN 6260 14CT no.2 nib

paper: Moleskine

red: SHINHAN watercolor

Thanks for patiently reading this review :D

Edited by chingdamosaic

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chingdamosaic

• lgsoltek

• lapis

• taike

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another great review! Very informative too.

If I may suggest, post a link on the original thread and a note mentioning this one. I know many people would enjoy seeing both.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Another great review! Very informative too.

If I may suggest, post a link on the original thread and a note mentioning this one. I know many people would enjoy seeing both.

Thanks for the advice!

Very nice! Wonder if I could hunt down one bottle...

Then why not arrange a trip to Taiwan? lol

Besides, Fine Writing also designs and makes their own fountain pens.

They have a series of customized pens made of rare woods, and some celluloid pens(not my cup of tea, but are known for really good quality)

And most of their pens are designed/named after Chinese traditional culture, like 十二星官 or 易經, etc.

Here's theri facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/finewriting/

And web shop: http://finewriting.com.tw/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=87_88

Thank you for this detailed review. I enjoyed all the writing samples and illustrations. :)

Then why not arrange a trip to Taiwan? lol

Besides, Fine Writing also designs and makes their own fountain pens.

They have a series of customized pens made of rare woods, and some celluloid pens(not my cup of tea, but are known for really good quality)

And most of their pens are designed/named after Chinese traditional culture, like 十二星官 or 易經, etc.

Here's theri facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/finewriting/

And web shop: http://finewriting.com.tw/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=87_88

I just tried the Taobao store of 小品雅集 but they've sold out. :(

Thanks for going to the trouble of re-posting this! The pictures are now all fine. Excellent review, and... as you say... there are a few other blues which might be able to "replace" it.

BTW for those uninformed... don't go to the trouble of asking R&K in Zella-Mehlis (no, they're no longer in Leipzig) because they don't have any and/or they don't sell any bottles of it, although they were the manufacturer of same.

Mike http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/Cry.png

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Wonderful review! I love the detail that you gave. I would love to get a bottle of this, if that were possible.

I am planning to be in Taiwan in July. I will have to stop by the Fine Writing shop if I can get a break between my speaking engagements. I am always looking for new FP shops everywhere I go.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Wonderful review! I love the detail that you gave. I would love to get a bottle of this, if that were possible.

I am planning to be in Taiwan in July. I will have to stop by the Fine Writing shop if I can get a break between my speaking engagements. I am always looking for new FP shops everywhere I go.

Wow! Hope you will have time to enjoy you stay in Taiwan, then!

I assume you are going to Taipei, where there are a few very fine FP shops, each has their own special features:)

Cheers!