Which Waterman Models Got The Most Flexible Nibs?

Ben19

Hello, I have seen calligraphy samplers made with the waterman 515 and the nib looks very flexible. I would like to know which models have the most flexible nibs. Which one do you suggest me to buy? I want a very flexible waterman nib to start and improve my calligraphy. Also I have been looking for calligraphy sets but the only ones I found were made by makers like sheaffer or Parker and other makers that I never heard about them. There is any set for calligraphy made by waterman?. To put in context the most flexible waterman nib I ever tried is the waterman taperite stateleight from 50s with a 14k gold nib. Many thanks

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidthecat

• Ben19

• Left FPN

• torstar

The early ones like the 52, 54 and the #5 and #7, in the 5 and 7 you can get flexible nibs by looking for the pink nib.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Good luck OP finding a flexible Waterman nib. Of course if you have a large disposable income then you will have no trouble at all. At normal levels of expenditure it's going to be a bit of a hit and hope scenario.

What kind of calligraphy do you envisage doing with this flexible nib? Asking because, in general, for pointed pen stuff you are better off getting a dip pen holder and a few nibs. Takes practice though. Alternatively, for a very reasonable price you could look at the Desiderata Daedalus. It's a fountain pen with the Zebra G dip nib in it. EoC has one (got it 5th Jan) and it is a lot of fun. Again, it does take practice to understand how to use a dip nib.

To summarise your choices, in no particular order:

1. Get lucky on eBay or at a antique market etc.

2. Have hundreds of dollars to throw at the problem = no problem!

3. Dip pen.

4. Desiderata Daedalus hybrid pen.

5. Put a 'want to buy' advert here in the clasifieds (conditions apply).

EoC wishes you well in your endeavours.

I've only been collecting for about 5 years, but my emphasis is on Waterman flex pens. There are quite a few models of Waterman pens that CAN have flexible nibs, but it does in fact seem to be more common in the earlier models.

As PAKMAN correctly stated, you can find flexible nibs on early Waterman lever-fillers such as the 52/54/56/58 series, as well as on the 5's 7's, 55's, 32s, 92s, and 94's. You can even find them on 515's, Hundred Year Pens, Thoroughbreds, Skywriters, and Commandos. You can also find them on eyedroppers and safety pens, such as the 42/44/45/46/48 and the 12/13/14/15/16/18/20.

However, from my experience, the best flexible Waterman nibs appear most frequently on 12s, 42s, and 52s. These are all number 2 nibs. For some reason, the larger nibs don't seem to have truly amazing nibs quite as often, although there are still plenty that are flexible. Two exceptions to this rule, if you are willing to spend a small fortune and you can find one, would the Pink and the Black nibs (usually found on a 5, 7 or a 55).

Edited by phaus

Have we seen an end to the spate?

I owe you some pictures. I have not forgotten.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

If you are new to flexible nibs and flexible writing it will be more prudent you start with a slight flex or medium flex nib so you can learn to master the basics of flexible nibs. In general, the more flexible the nib, the harder it is to control it, and the easier it is to damage it.

Also take note that the nib by itself is just one piece of the puzzle. If that nib is set up in a pen that has not been professionally restored, that may have incorrect/worn parts, and if this nib has not been professionally installed by someone who really knows about flexible nibs, it is very likely you will get substandard results. Focus on the whole package instead of assuming that the nib alone or a pen model alone will take care of everything.

Tu Amigo!

Mauricio Aguilar

www.VintagePen.net

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3525/4051556482_36f28f0902_m.jpg

E-Mail: VintagePen@att.net

I have very good luck with ringtops (I'm cutting my own throat here), which often have brilliant nibs. Not just Watermans, but I've found very good nibs on Wahl-Eversharps, Moores, Mabie Todd Swans and a few no-names. Warranted nibs, which are found everywhere, can often be very good. You can sometimes get a real bargain if you ask a dealer to test a nib for flex.

If you can get to a pen show, you can test a few and find out if flex is what you want in the first place.

I have very good luck with ringtops (I'm cutting my own throat here), which often have brilliant nibs. Not just Watermans, but I've found very good nibs on Wahl-Eversharps, Moores, Mabie Todd Swans and a few no-names. Warranted nibs, which are found everywhere, can often be very good. You can sometimes get a real bargain if you ask a dealer to test a nib for flex.

If you can get to a pen show, you can test a few and find out if flex is what you want in the first place.

Don't know about shows, there are none of those things here, alas. Mind you, EoC picked up a Wahl ringtop on the 'Bay relatively recently and the nib appears to be quite soft. Needs work of course, something that is beyond this one's abilities, so have to look for a decent restorer.

From my engineering experience, flex is determined by,

1. Grade of gold. 14kt or 18kt

2. Thickness of material.

3. Amount of curvature. More = less flex. Less = more flex.

4. Length and width of tines.

Ref 3. The Pink nib I have just acquired appears to have a much flatter top than others.

Edited by Force

One problem with flex is that you don't know if you're going to get along with it until you've tried. I tried first with Noodler's 'Ahab' and thought, "This can't be right" - the force it took to flex the nib could easily have cut into the paper. So now I'm on to dip nibs; we'll see how that goes. The investment won't break the bank.

Often I see "Can you recommend a pen?" postings here with requirements for a pen that will do everything but deliver your breakfast in bed with a kiss on the cheek. I don't know much about flex nibs, but I suspect that if you're a student madly taking notes, you probably don't want one.

James

I was in your same situation some time ago.
I know it is obvious but, if you're ebay-oriented, you can try to spot some insertions with writing samples. Although it can't tell you the quality of flexibility, you can al least know if the nib has line variations. Unfortunately this kind of insertion gather more attention than usual, so probably the price will rise above the average.
Concerning waterman's nibs, on 4 waterman i've bought on ebay, i've found:
Waterman's 512 - 2A nib, slight but responsive flex
Waterman's ideal - W5 nib, a lot of flex and snap-back (i initially thought it would be a stiff one!)
Waterman's Commando - #4 keyhole nib, very very flexible
Waterman's W3 - #3 nib, stiff/little springy, the only one who disappoint me so far

Look also at Mabie Todd pens, they're known for having nice flexible nibs ;)
Edited by drop_m

• 3 weeks later...

Coming up on my 40th year of collecting, this flex thing seems to have taken over of late. I agree, Waterman #2 nibs are probably the easiest way to get the desired flex since they are readily available and often reasonably priced. BUT BUYER BE WARNED--many damaged nibs will result from this flex mania, and most sellers won't be as honest as the owner of the sprung #4 currently offered in our fpn classifieds for $1.

The flexy doodle backdrop behind that Waterman 52 on the 'bay, or the "snake tongue tines" close-up, warns me off. A sprung nib often doesn't show a bend or crack but it's forever lost the spring it once had (like me at age 68..) .

If you can afford it, look at the larger Waterman #6 or #8 nibs, the older ones usually are best. I have a minty 18 eyedropper that shades like a dream...a real pleasure to write with. If only it could send text to my computer...

From my own limited experience (I own ten Watermans from the 1930's-1950's) I have found there's seems to be a greater chance of flexibility in pens manufactured in Canada or England. I bought a flexible English made keyhole stub nib from the 1930's on a later 1940's made in Canada pen body, a combination possibly a result of wartime parts shortages. snav1517 and fishingmullet555 on Ebay are two very reputable sellers who classify flexibility in their descriptions.

Certainly not the Edson.

C'mon, you are just not leaning into it enough. You need to generate the flex from your hips and lower back, not just your arms. :)

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Thanks to all that gave your opinions and answers. Fist of all I have to say that nibs it is a hole world by itself,I had no idea about it!. I have been searching all fountain pen makers you mentioned on your message and waterman ones as well, they are really nice but way out of my budget. However like I said I was looking for a flex nib to do copperplate calligraphy so I do not really need the most flex nib, just some one semi flex. I did not made a decision about which one I am going to buy yet, but according from my research I did from your message I think I will go for a Parker duofold with semi flex 14k nib or a Mabie Todd. Those model's makers seem to be cheaper than waterman or wahl and other makers you mention.