All In The Family: Platinum Izumo And Nakaya Portable Writer

jar

As most of you likely already know, both the Platinum and Nakaya fountain pen companies were started by the Nakata family and still run by them. What I have been told is that the employees of Nakaya are all older employees retired from Platinum. It is a slightly different situation than Pilot/Namaki (where the same pen can be marketed under either name depending on where it is sold) and there does not seem to be the same product sold as both a Platinum and Nakaya fountain pen.

Today I'll try to review three pens, two Platinum Izumo compared to a Nakaya Cigar Portable Writer (Writer just means it has a clip).

As usual, let's get the boring details out of the way.

Boring Detail:

http://www.fototime.com/E3EAFD8C7B11D49/large.jpg

The first thing to notice is that the dimensions of the two Izumos are not identical. That's because each body is hand turned (true of Nakaya pens too) and so while very similar, no two will be exactly the same.

The Izumo Kuro is all black urushi over ebonite while the Izumo Sora is a green undercoating. (I know, green should be midori but in this case it 'taint) The Nakaya Aka-tamenuri is a dark red with more red showing through the Kuro overcoating.

Izumo Kurotame on left, Nakaya Aka-tamenuri in center, Izumo Soratamenuri on right.
http://www.fototime.com/2AA5B99529C1189/large.jpg

They each came with a nice silk kimono to keep them comfy when not in my pocket.

http://www.fototime.com/E552F088F0CA1F2/large.jpg

All three are cartridge/converter pens BUT Platinum unlike Pilot and Sailor (the other two of the big three Japanese fountain pen makers) also offers an adapter that allows the owner to use standard international cartridges and converter. There is also a Maki-e version of their converter with snowflakes, goldfish, tadpoles, maple leaves or cherry blossoms.

http://www.fototime.com/EA8B29CD9A21C77/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/61047B03EA48CB2/medium800.jpg

Each of the pens has a slightly different nib, the Izumo Kuro has a "B" Platinum President 18K nib, the Soratamenuri has a "M" nib and the Nakaya Portable has a "M" nib customized by John Mottishaw to a full width cursive italic. The Nakaya nib is based on the Platinum #3776 14K nib and marked Nakata.

http://www.fototime.com/422F061F748FCEE/xlarge.jpg

The Izumo Kuro is as mentioned above simply all black but a black deep enough to fall into.

http://www.fototime.com/CB07F7E856EBACA/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/89E4DB8652791B4/large.jpg

The Izumo Soratamenuri is very similar but with a green base coat that shows through the Kuro at edges and that will gradually emerge over time as the over layer becomes increasingly transparent.

http://www.fototime.com/A0CBAEEBA49F2FC/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/BD6090A35D13C0F/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/F3B7B7B7E28AA1C/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/6D64C3061D9EE9F/large.jpg

The Nakaya Portable Aka-tamenuri is simply a jewel.

http://www.fototime.com/B6D7E4370F27BD8/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/CB01C13EF12D60F/large.jpg

I don't post any of them (not even sure they would post) but all three are long enough to use unposted. The Nakaya is significantly lighter than the Izumos and seem far thinner walled as well.

So which do I like best? The Izumo Kuro tends to get slightly more pocket time than the other two, but not by much. All three nibs are a joy to use and moderately wet, just as I like but the "B" nib really is wondrous. The Izumos feel like they can withstand anything while the Nakaya, particularly the cap, gives an impression of delicacy and encourages me to use extra care.

My Website

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• jmccarty3

• hari317

• zaddick

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...and there does not seem to be the same product sold as both a Platinum and Nakaya fountain pen.

there are a few, like the Celluloids and the matte Briars, sold as Platinum and also as Nakaya. HTH.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thank you for the comparison jar.

I would add a few points that may be of interest to others:

- The Izumo has a fairly unique shape where the body of the pen flares in and then out before tapering again. This is fairly unique among modern pens and, in my opinion, adds a lot to the sleek design of the pen.

- The quality of the urushi is on par with basic Nakaya. Many people here are very enthusiastic about Nakaya, but I don't find them to be the "end all" in quality. You can get just as good a finish in the Izumo line for less money. Of course, you have far fewer choices of textures, colors, and finishes than Nakaya.

- The metal threads on the Izumo tend to put many people off and it is a valid concern for some people. I actually prefer the threads to the Nakaya portable/writer because I tend to grip further back. The transition for me from the grip section to the body is more pleasant on the Izumo. If you hold the pen close to the nib, the threads should not bother you on either pen.

- The nib on the Izumo is slightly larger than the Nakaya, but offers far fewer choices in width, coloration, etc.

I think many people here love their Nakayas because they were well set up for them and/or customized by Nibs.com. This is a great service and really does make a difference in the enjoyment of the pen. Comparing an off the shelf Izumo to a Nakaya with nib customization and flow adjustment is not apples to apples, so I just remind people to keep that in mind.

For full disclosure I have both a Nakaya 17MM Portable and an Izumo. I tend to use the Izumo more myself. I just wanted to promote the pen a little more because I think it can represent a great value for the right person, especially if you can find one used.

Edited by zaddick

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

there are a few, like the Celluloids and the matte Briars, sold as Platinum and also as Nakaya. HTH.

Nakaya stopped marketing the celluloid pens, though you can find them used. Of course, the exact same pen with different marking are still lovely and available as Platinum pens.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Jar, thanks for the lovely review. They are indeed beautiful pens.

What do you think are differences between the President nib and the Nakaya/ Platinum nibs?

I do agree with Zaddick. I finally got myself an Izumo BIwa Tamenuri this November, and the fine nib is just divine. More than anything else, it's the shape of the body together with the weight that makes using the Izumo such a pleasure.

Jar, thanks for the lovely review. They are indeed beautiful pens.

What do you think are differences between the President nib and the Nakaya/ Platinum nibs?

I do agree with Zaddick. I finally got myself an Izumo BIwa Tamenuri this November, and the fine nib is just divine. More than anything else, it's the shape of the body together with the weight that makes using the Izumo such a pleasure.

The Nakata nib is basically the current Platinum #3776 nib, a superb one. It's 14K instead of 18K. The older style #3776 nibs seemed to be slightly softer with narrower shoulders and longer tines than the new style #3776 or current Nakata nibs.

Here you can see the old #3776 nib next to a current #3776 nib.

http://www.fototime.com/EFCBE67F0FB01FC/medium800.jpg

My Website

Hi Jar do you recall when your Izumo in Sora-Tame was purchased? seems like Platinum changed the color at some point or there is variance in the base urushi color used, my Sora-Tame is a lighter green compared to yours. Mine was purchased late 2015 but was older stock supposedly.

Left is Nakaya Piccolo in Heki, Right is Izumo in Sora-Tame.

post-106631-0-00036800-1452141970_thumb.jpg

Edited by zchen

Thanks for the comparative review jar. Feel my subconscious was waiting for such a comparison :), and comment on the urushi finishes :)

Personally I also found the President/Izumo nibs stiffer than #3776 nibs...

Edited by soniknitr

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

Hi Jar do you recall when your Izumo in Sora-Tame was purchased? seems like Platinum changed the color at some point or there is variance in the base urushi color used, my Sora-Tame is a lighter green compared to yours. Mine was purchased late 2015 but was older stock supposedly.

Due to the nature of urushi differences like that do not surprise me. It is made in fairly small batches and so colors will vary.

My Website

Thanks for the comparative review, jar. I have been tempted by the Izumo. Its shape is unusual enough that I'm hesitant to buy without actually trying one. My hunch is I would either love it or find it unpleasant.

Nice photos.

David

Thanks for the comparative review, jar. I have been tempted by the Izumo. Its shape is unusual enough that I'm hesitant to buy without actually trying one. My hunch is I would either love it or find it unpleasant.

Nice photos.

David

It is slightly different, that's for sure. But I find it very comfortable. With my hand the secondary bulge towards the tail hits right on the web of my hand and sets the nib angle perfectly on the sweet spot. The curves though are really more subtle than as shown in some pictures, definitely French Curve like.

My Website

• 2 weeks later...

that all-black silk kimono looks real nice. never knew platinum makes them. i have seen many platinum and nakaya silk kimonos, but never this.

-rudy-

that all-black silk kimono looks real nice. never knew platinum makes them. i have seen many platinum and nakaya silk kimonos, but never this.

It is nice and certainly different but also helps me keep my pens straight; black kimono is Kuro, green the Suratamenuri and dark blue patterned the Portable. The Dani gets a Royal Purple drawstring pouch.

My Website

• 3 weeks later...

It should be mentioned that you can buy the Izumo from nibs.com with a greater variety of nib sizes (EF to Extra-Broad), but the base price is higher than a Nakaya Portable Aka-Tamenuri (US$636 vs $550). I have two Izumos and two Nakayas. I love all four of them, but I think the Nakaya represents the greater value for money. A Mottishaw customized nib, of course, is well worth what you pay for it.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• 3 months later...

I have to make a correction to this. After researching for a bit, apparently the seller that sold me this pen has mislabeled it. It is actually the #30 Biwatame color.

I have to make a correction to this. After researching for a bit, apparently the seller that sold me this pen has mislabeled it. It is actually the #30 Biwatame color.

Biwa is Loquat and will be a orange/yellow. Nice and a color I hope to add one day.

My Website

• 9 months later...

Rakuten has the Izumu Aka and Sora tamenuri's on for 44,550 Yen, or $394- a great deal!

But then you need to add the cost of white rabbit express or whatever, which isnt much...

• 6 months later...

Resurrecting an old topic, but I have a follow-up and a question.

Recently, Pen Chalet had the Izumo Ginsen Yakumo at half-price, and I bought one with a broad nib. In brief, I find the pen very comfortable to write with, and the nib is lovely. I don't have enormous experience with un-customized Japanese nibs, but I find this pen's "Broad" to be a rather narrow medium, by European standards.

My question is: I find my pen's nib to be rather stubbish, and I wonder if others who have Izumos with B nibs have similar impressions.

And one more thing - I showed the pen to Michael Masuyama at the San Francisco Pen Show last weekend. He told me "Izumo" is pronounced "Izmo - like Gizmo." Okay. Nice to know.

David