Sailor Jentle Ink- Nioi Sumire(匂堇)

chingdamosaic

One night I walked into an ink shop with my friend, looking for some "special" colors--- I've been using enough of blue inks, and was hoping to try some orange, green, gray, or teal. I remember wavering between some Pelikan inks and Diamine ones for almost an hour, and then the shopkeeper came: "Excuse me, but we're closing now."

Me: "OK then. (grab Sailor Nioisumire and pay)

Friend:" What the...? You didn't even lay your eyes on this one before!"

Me: "Uh... Because I'm suddenly curious of the pronunciation of its name in Chinese?"

Yes, I know it's ridiculous, but this was also the exact reason why I bought Pilot Kon-peki(紺碧).... Yes I'm an irrational buyer indeed.

----------------------------------------------back to the theme-----------------------------------------------

Package and bottle design:

post-104429-0-03926200-1451898439.jpg

Cap: it's said that the ink color on the cap resembles the most how this ink would be like on paper, but maybe this rule doesn't apply to blue inks? At least according to my own experience, Platinum Blue-Black, Diamine China Blue, Rh&K China Blue, and this one---they are almost like different inks.

post-104429-0-76429600-1451898448.jpg

An ink reservoir in the bottle:

post-104429-0-55589300-1451898459_thumb.jpg

Instruction on the box:

post-104429-0-62264500-1451898471_thumb.jpg

Nioi Sumire is a well-behaved, lubricant, water-resistant, saturated blue-purple ink.

It gets along with all my pens and most of the papers, which make it a perfect ink for daily use.

The color itself is not very eye-catching, the shading not so dramatic, and the sheen obscure in daily use.

However, I'd say it's still a rather interesting ink.

When the ink is fresh out of the bottle/nib, it looks quite blue.

If you use a paper with some coating, it tends to stay blue even longer.

Example : Swan Mabie-Todd 6260 + Paperholic grid

post-104429-0-77567600-1451898323_thumb.jpg

Close up:

post-104429-0-09447500-1451898366.jpg

And if you use a rougher paper, it looks more purple, and gets even more purplish over time.

Example: Dip pen on sketch paper

post-104429-0-17933900-1451898307_thumb.jpg

Comparison:

post-104429-0-86949400-1451898291_thumb.jpg

I tried my best to capture the sheen with my 3-year-old cellphone:

post-104429-0-67887100-1451898377.jpg

post-104429-0-97142200-1451898388_thumb.jpg

When diluted, it acquires a soft violet hue:

post-104429-0-93752300-1451898404.jpg

post-104429-0-28176700-1451898414.jpg

On tissue paper, with water drops:

post-104429-0-89380900-1451901268.jpg

Doodle: Sailor PG 14K EF on cheap calculating paper:

post-104429-0-67360000-1451898426_thumb.jpg

(slightly feathering, no bleed through)

AAAAnd I'd like to note that, this ink STINKS.

It has a strong phenol smell, which I personally detest.

(Do all Sailor inks smell like this? Or it's just the blue ones? Or just this one?)

But I also have to admit that this is a "useful odor":

Whenever I keep writing too long, and my head bows unconsciously, this smell from the nib and paper would remind me to sit straight again( to keep a distance).

It is also refreshing and keeps me from dozing off.

Conclusion:

Pen/paper friendly.

Stimulating smell and calming color; amazingly balanced combination.

Great choice for daily use, especially when taking study notes!

Edited by chingdamosaic

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chingdamosaic

• Patrick L

• migo984

• lgsoltek

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for this great review. The girl is very cute indeed, I would be happy to talk with her one of these days . There's something that I don't understand, you say that Nioi Sumire is water-resistant, but on the photos I see very poor water-resistance.

Edited by Patrick L

Thanks for this great review. The girl is very cute indeed, I would be happy to talk with her one of these days . There's something that I don't understand, you say that Nioi Sumire is water-resistant, but on the photos I see very poor water-resistance.

Hi Patrick,

I apologize if my broken English causes misunderstanding.

I consider this ink "water resistant" because although water smudges the dye, the line remains clear and the color doesn't fade(or only slightly fades).

I'd call it "non water resistant" if the line disappears/becomes indecipherable.

And if I apply water to the writing and nothing happens, I'd refer to the ink as "waterproof".

Of course these are only my personal thoughts... :)

Oh yes almost all Sailor inks have that phenol smell... And I love that smell...

You mean, even the dreamlike Oku Yama smells like this?

Oh no, then I should consider another ink.... Q_Q

I consider this ink "water resistant" because although water smudges the dye, the line remains clear and the color doesn't fade(or only slightly fades).

I'd call it "non water resistant" if the line disappears/becomes indecipherable.

And if I apply water to the writing and nothing happens, I'd refer to the ink as "waterproof".

Of course these are only my personal thoughts... :)

I agree with these definitions. :thumbup:

A question: is this the ink formerly known as Sailor Ultramarine? It sure looks like it.

I agree with these definitions. :thumbup:

A question: is this the ink formerly known as Sailor Ultramarine? It sure looks like it.

They are extremely similar. Unless you compare them side by side and look very carefully, you won't be able to notice that Ultramarine is a tad more violet.

Thanks for your great review chingdamosaic. It was really first class. I am a great fan of Sailor inks and enjoy reading reviews of them, especially when they (the reviews) are made with love and care.

Now that is a very lovely review, of a pretty ink. Thank you.

And, like Lgsoltek, I love that phenol smell :-)

Verba volant, scripta manent

Oh yes almost all Sailor inks have that phenol smell... And I love that smell...

It's a strange smell to love but I do as well.

OH WOW, great sketch, story and review.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

This is on my "to buy"-list. Will probably be bought quite soon.

I also like the smell from the Sailor inks. :)

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

Yes, the 2010 seasonal Nioi Sumire (13-1002-207) was the "replacement" ink of Ultramarine (13-1000-250), just like at the same time Souten (13-1002-210) was the replacement of Sky High (13-1000-241).

Mike (who also loves their smell of phenol)

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)