Dallas Pen Show Giveaway Inks

deacondavid

I can not speak for previous to 09, but the rest is correct. I thought this year was Battleship Grey. Then again, I did not look at the bottle.

The color is usable for everyday use. I accidently burped a spot and that was the same reaction that TxKat, ScienceChick and I thought.

When I was handed my bottle, they did call it Battleship Gray, but the bottle simply says "USS Texas".

I would agree that the color would be suitable for daily use - it is a very dark gray with hints of blue and green. I just did some more writing with it and am sure that the color I saw yesterday is correct.

Thanks for confirming the more recent years of ink!

Current Daily Carry: Pilot Custom 743 with 14k Posting nib (Sailor Kiwa-Guro), Sailor 1911L Realo Champagne with 21k Extra Fine nib (Sailor Tokiwa-Matsu). Platinum Century 3776 Bourgogne (Diamine Syrah), Nakaya Portable Writer Midori with 14k Extra Extra Fine nib (Lamy Peridot), Pilot Vanishing Point Stealth Black with Extra Fine nib unit (Pilot Blue Black), a dozen Nockco DotDash index cards of various sizes and a Traveler's Notebook.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fuzzy_Bear

• amberleadavis

• deacondavid

• KKay

I'll have to get around to trying the free gray ink from the Dallas Pen Show...I haven't opened the bottle yet. I heard "gray" and all desire to try it vanished. I hate washed out blacks, so I guess this one might not be for me...

• 11 months later...

The 2017 ink was Chisholm Trail (it being the 150th anniversary of the trail), a brown ink. I really like that the label for this one has the year and hope that we might see this in future inks!

Current Daily Carry: Pilot Custom 743 with 14k Posting nib (Sailor Kiwa-Guro), Sailor 1911L Realo Champagne with 21k Extra Fine nib (Sailor Tokiwa-Matsu). Platinum Century 3776 Bourgogne (Diamine Syrah), Nakaya Portable Writer Midori with 14k Extra Extra Fine nib (Lamy Peridot), Pilot Vanishing Point Stealth Black with Extra Fine nib unit (Pilot Blue Black), a dozen Nockco DotDash index cards of various sizes and a Traveler's Notebook.

The ink is gorgeous. I had it in a Pel M150 and it was hard starting, so it may be a drier ink. Works fine with no start issues in an FPR Guru. But, the Pel is new to me, so it may need some adjustment.

Peace and Understanding

I would love to have a sample of the new Dromgoole's ink. (Chisolm Trail) I have tried two, and I bought both. I had Blue Steel, and then last year I was at the Dallas Pen show and got a free bottle of the USS Texas. I find the ink normally looks more dark green, with gray...than just gray. I use it all the time. So I had the free bottle. Loved it, and then bought it. It is a good performer. It works in all of my pens, but doesn't take heavy flex from a Neponset. (it will feather then) Otherwise I love both inks.

I'm looking forward to seeing the ink. I can say that USS Texas was a surprise to me. I thought it would be gray, but it is actually the color of the ship and it is really quite handsome.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Pics people... PRETTY PLEASE + With SUGAR ON TOP!!! :D

I have been looking everywhere on the net.. and no one has posted pics yet..... :(

Thanks,

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Cyber6, I don't have a sample yet to show you. Deacondavid is sending me a sample soon. If no reviews are put out there, I will do one for you for first impressions.

Cyber6, I don't have a sample yet to show you. Deacondavid is sending me a sample soon. If no reviews are put out there, I will do one for you for first impressions.

WOOHOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Last night I did a quick sample of ink. Strait from the camera, no color correction and all that. Tomoe River White paper, if that helps a bit.

I did a quick water test on the bottom right corner - the two drops seen on the image are water just sitting there. Ink didn't really move any overnight as the water dried. The very bottom of the grid was a drop of water scrubbed around with a finger - I'd say this ink isn't going anywhere once dry.

http://www.4101.org/fpn/IMG_3734_small.jpg

(full size image link)

Edited by clazbill

I like it, and hope Dromgoole's will continue it as a store special ink.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Well I got the sample of the Chisholm Trail ink from deacondavid. I like this brown ink a lot. I put it in a Noodler's Konrad to start with. I wrote with it on a few different papers. After testing it out further, I will have more to say about it. Right at the moment I am impressed, I will say that much. I've seen it spelled with the h, and without. I'm not sure which it is for sure. Chisolm Trail or Chisholm Trail. Please clarify that for me.

Edited by KKay

The post #32, previously in this thread by member "clazbill," shared a photograph of the Noodlers bottle. Both the bottle & his review/introduction of the ink use the spelling of ChisHolm Trail. The label on the bottle is a bit unclear, but I believe the number of letters visible reinforces, the "H" being used in the spelling.

I put a link there for the full sized image - Looking at that (since my bottle is at home, I'm at work and all) the spelling is Chisholm Trail

I'm looking at it. CHISHOLM TRAIL with all caps.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY