Dallas Pen Show Giveaway Inks

deacondavid

Has anyone put together a list of which inks that have been given out which years at the Dallas Pen Shows? I know that many of them have gone on to be available through Dromgoole's after the show, but I'm trying to figure out when each ink first appeared.

Here's what I have think is correct, based on reading reports from past shows (plus the one I received this year at my first pen show):

2009 - Texas Blue Bonnet

2010 - Texas Live Oak

2011 - Texas Pecan

2012 - Tanned Armadillo, Comanche Rouge (thanks for the information, Fuzzy_Bear!)

2013 - Blue Steel

2014 - General of the Armies (now available everywhere)

2015 - Banker's Tan

This leaves The Alamo's Twilight and Texas Black Bat (that I am aware of). Were they also originally offered at the Dallas Pen Show? If so, what years were they offered? Are they any others I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can offer help with this...

Edited by deacondavid

Current Daily Carry: Pilot Custom 743 with 14k Posting nib (Sailor Kiwa-Guro), Sailor 1911L Realo Champagne with 21k Extra Fine nib (Sailor Tokiwa-Matsu). Platinum Century 3776 Bourgogne (Diamine Syrah), Nakaya Portable Writer Midori with 14k Extra Extra Fine nib (Lamy Peridot), Pilot Vanishing Point Stealth Black with Extra Fine nib unit (Pilot Blue Black), a dozen Nockco DotDash index cards of various sizes and a Traveler's Notebook.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fuzzy_Bear

• amberleadavis

• deacondavid

• KKay

You knew more than I did.

I can tell you, I have loved my Tanned Armadillo, and Blue Steel is one of my all time recommendations.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Tanned Amarillo and Comanche Rouge were same year. Rare components, that's why there was only the one run.

Black Bat(X-Feather) and Alamo's Twilight (serious red) would have been before 09, my first year. I missed 2010 for my wife's cancer appointments, but have been back every year since.

Edited by Fuzzy_Bear

Peace and Understanding

You knew more than I did.

I can tell you, I have loved my Tanned Armadillo, and Blue Steel is one of my all time recommendations.

Bluebonnet over Blue Steel, but I am a Texas guy. Born, raised, bred and will die here.

Peace and Understanding

I am a Texas guy. Born, raised, bred and will die here.

Amen, brother.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Bluebonnet over Blue Steel, but I am a Texas guy. Born, raised, bred and will die here.

My wife, a Texas-born botanist, tells me that Blue Bonnet is the wrong color. I keep trying to buy it at Dromgoole's, but she keeps saying this...

I've only lived here for two thirds of my 53 (soon to be 54) years and am not a botanist, so I keep giving the weight to her opinion.

Edited by deacondavid

Current Daily Carry: Pilot Custom 743 with 14k Posting nib (Sailor Kiwa-Guro), Sailor 1911L Realo Champagne with 21k Extra Fine nib (Sailor Tokiwa-Matsu). Platinum Century 3776 Bourgogne (Diamine Syrah), Nakaya Portable Writer Midori with 14k Extra Extra Fine nib (Lamy Peridot), Pilot Vanishing Point Stealth Black with Extra Fine nib unit (Pilot Blue Black), a dozen Nockco DotDash index cards of various sizes and a Traveler's Notebook.

What precipitated this was a visit to Dromgoole's yesterday. I found a one ounce bottle of The Alamo's Twilight wedged in between the 3 ounce bottles of the General of the Armies, so I recognized it as being a probable pen show bottle that had somehow gone unclaimed at the show and then put into their stock. Sure enough, that's what it looked up as in their inventory system and rang up as. When I asked what year it had been for, no one could remember, though they were very surprised that I had found it there.

I have about half of these inks, even though my first pen show was in 2015. I've been picking them up over the years when I visit Dromgoole's. I particularly love Texas Live Oak and have had Blue Steel in one of my pens ever since I bought it.

Thanks for the information thus far. Maybe we can fit the remaining bits of information in soon.

There are two versions of Alamo Twilight. Dromgoole's did a limited run in 2015 - they were in 3 oz bottles.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

There are two versions of Alamo Twilight. Dromgoole's did a limited run in 2015 - they were in 3 oz bottles.

I've only got the 1 oz.

Peace and Understanding

The 1 oz is the bright red that we remember, the 3 oz was a brown.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluebonnet_(plant)

Depends on the exact species. I've seen several colors. But just because the ink is not an exact shade doesn't mean it doesn't deserve the name. I think it fits.

Been here for 46 yrs with maybe a total of 5 weeks out of state in that entire time.

Okay, neither of the bottles that I have have been anything like this color:

Bluebonnets_at_Ivie_Reservoir%2C_Texas.j

My one ounce bottle is a reddish brown (after shaking up the bottle - I assumed that it had sat on the shelf for quite a while).

Okay, neither of the bottles that I have have been anything like this color:

Bluebonnets_at_Ivie_Reservoir%2C_Texas.j

Yep, this is the color that I have in my mind. I know that there are several varieties, though. Again, married to a botanist...

Yep, this is the color that I have in my mind. I know that there are several varieties, though. Again, married to a botanist...

That's okay, I'm from a family of Nurserymyn (as in my Grandmother was in the business for more than 5 decades). The color I was expecting is this:

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Ink_Companies/KWZI-Konrad_Ink/All_Inks_Sorted_by_Number/10/slides/Blue-NR_10-s-02.JPG

I have both rise colors in Texas Bluebonnet. Original and 3oz are the lighter variant while the 2nd 1oz is darker.

Peace and Understanding

I have one that looks like a turquoise and another that looks like a blue-black.

• 8 months later...

Another show, another new ink. This year's exclusive is called USS Texas, and, based on a little bit of time with a dip pen at the show yesterday, it is a very dark gray ink with some hints of blue and green.

So... here is my updated list of the Noodler's/Dromgoole's ink offerings for the Dallas Pen Show. For many of these I am guessing the year (based on postings and/or reviews). I would welcome any information people would be willing to share, confirmation and correction.

2016 - U.S.S. Texas
2015 - Banker's Tan
2014 - General of the Armies
2013 - Blue Steel
2012 - Commanche Rouge
2012 - Tanned Armadillo
2011 - Texas Pecan
2010 - Texas Live Oak
2009 - Texas Blue Bonnet
2008 - Texas Black Bat
2007? - The Alamo's Twilight
2006? - Texas Patriot
2005? - Raven

I can not speak for previous to 09, but the rest is correct. I thought this year was Battleship Grey. Then again, I did not look at the bottle.

The color is usable for everyday use. I accidently burped a spot and that was the same reaction that TxKat, ScienceChick and I thought.

Peace and Understanding