Newbie With $100-- Help!

Perdendosi

While not having much to add... I would say that my wife recently bought three dramatically different (from one another) chinese pens on ebay. Even the most expensive was under $2.50, all of them wrote well (or well enough at least) when they arrived, and it is a good way to find out if you prefer heavier or lighter pens, longer or shorter.

As for where to buy ink samples, if you go to gouletpens.com you can buy a wide variety of ink samples either individually or in packages. The packages include them sorted by property, colour or brand. I'm currently waiting for my first order from them but I have heard good things about their customer service.

I don't seem to be as picky about my fountain pens as some. I like cheap pens like the Preppy and the Varsity, I like more expensive pens like my 1920's Waterman's 452 1/2V. I like some custom pens (custom turned cactus wood with inlay, light for it's size... Custom brass shell casing pen, heavy for it's size). I like light pen and heavy pens, short ones and long ones.

And to cap it all my handwriting is atrocious (as befits someone with dyspraxia).

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Perdendosi

• Sailor Kenshin

• zwack

• sirgilbert357

I'd go only one of three ways now for a starter:

1. TWSBI Eco or Vac Mini... both in EF -- simply for their ease of use/cleaning/self-maintenance. (TWSBI just rocks in general. I love their stuff.)

2. Pilot Prera in F with a Pilot convertor- mindbogglingly amazing smooth capping action on it, the nib is wonderfully fine - it's just a great pen.

Ink - Pilot Iroshizuku Kon-peki - the cerulean ocean blue color. Excellent shading, sweet color.

As someone had suggested -- do yourself a favor and order from jsubculture - you'll save major dollars as compared to buying locally or online in the US.

cheers,

/ff

Edited by fountainflyer

Such great advice! Thanks for tying it all together!

I'm thinking my "variety pack" will be

TWSBI Eco (~$30?)

Platinum Plasir + Converter (~$20)

JinHao 599 (~$5)

And two or thee ink sample packs from Goulet (~$20)

I think that'll give me some variety in weight, size, shape, etc., for not very much money. (The Lamy Safari is still in the back of my mind, but 5 pens seems like a bit of overkill.)

One more question-- I see the JinHao 450 has an 18kgp nib -- would this give me the experience of writing with a gold nib for $5? Or would that be a waste of money? Should I just bust my budget and get a Platinum 3776?

Such great advice! Thanks for tying it all together!

I'm thinking my "variety pack" will be

TWSBI Eco (~$30?)

Platinum Plasir + Converter (~$20)

JinHao 599 (~$5)

And two or thee ink sample packs from Goulet (~$20)

I think that'll give me some variety in weight, size, shape, etc., for not very much money. (The Lamy Safari is still in the back of my mind, but 5 pens seems like a bit of overkill.)

One more question-- I see the JinHao 450 has an 18kgp nib -- would this give me the experience of writing with a gold nib for $5? Or would that be a waste of money? Should I just bust my budget and get a Platinum 3776?

There's almost as much fuss about gold nibs as there is about flex nibs. Mine may not be the popular opinion, but beginners should start elsewhere....like with the pens you've wisely selected.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I have one Gold nib, in a vintage waterman's and it is a very flexible beast... I have several gold plated nibs and they are not significantly different from the plain steel nibs... I wouldnt worry about nibs especially.

Vintage wise I have (have used) several Esterbrooks with renew points in different ranges and the difference between nibs in the same range is much bigger than the difference between similar nibs in different ranges. i.e. style of nib matters more than material.

Edited by zwack

There's a gravitas that I feel when writing with it that I don't feel with a ballpoint or a cheap rollerball, and it's much more comfortable.

I'm willing to put about $100 toward that adventure.

Note that I'll probably be doing all, or nearly all, of my writing on cheap legal pads at work. I'm probably not interested in buying paper,

So you need a Platinum 3776 or an Italix Parson's Essential (silky lacquer over brass for your gravitas haha) filled with Platinum Blue-Black (for that cheap paper)

Platiunum is a GREAT pen and gets you a gold nib

The Parson's saves you a few buck and only gets you a steel nib but but a very good one & in any cut you want and gets you a pretty and very sturdy pen.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Okay, everyone, order sent!

I almost pulled the trigger on the 3776. But I think I may have to wait a month or two.

I was skeptical, but all of your recommendations pursuaded me to get the TWSBI ECO. I got white/EF.

I didn't get the Platinum Plasir because it seemed too much like my Pilot (for more money when you add the converter), and didn't seem to be that much of a contrasting pen.

So, for a REAL contrast, I got the Levenger L-Tech 3.0. I saw it on MassDrop, then I saw the thread here noticing that the Excalibur color was even cheaper on Amazon, and I thought, what the heck! It's going to be big, heavy, metallic and knurled. I may hate it, but at least I can say I've tried something like it. At a minimum, it'll make a cool stylus and paperweight.

Then I decided on two JinHao's. I got an Orange (plastic) 599A, and a 301. I couldn't decide between the metal and plastic 599, but I thought I'd like the ink well window best. I got the 301 because it looks very slim (a form factor that wouldn't be in my "collection") it's advertised as having a 18k gold plated nib (hard to believe, but that's also a difference), has a shrouded nib (something else diffrent) AND it was a whole $3.69 with free shipping. Yeah, maybe I won't love the fake diamond on the cap, but I couldn't say no for all of those features.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010RWFZUK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

(Oh, and it also comes with a woven metal-type "keyring" which I can use... That's probably worth, oh, $.25 right there!)

Now I just have to wait for the slow boat to China.

Then I spent too much time looking at inks at Goulet. I got the "best sellers" and "Sam recommends" packages, and then 9 other inks, along with two "surprise me" choices. I think the ink is going to come before all of my new pens, so I'll either have to stare at it and wait, or toss out my Pilot black-blue cartridge, flush the pen (but what do you do when you're waiting for it to dry???) and try out some new inks.

I spent a little over $100 (Adding the Levenger and spending way too much on ink samples did me in.)

Thanks again, everyone. I hope I won't become too obsessed with this hobby (but forums never help!).

My first fountain pen was the Waterman Hémisphere. A nice, beautifull, sub100euro pen. I love the matte black and gold trim version. You could check that one out :).

Also try to go to a shop instead of buying online. The shopkeeper will let you test a variety of pens and will suggest inks,... :)

Have a good day

ruben Dhaenens

Hi Folks!

The first wave of my $100 (ish) experiment has come in, starting with a whole bunch (over 30!) ink samples from Goulet, and followed shortly by the Leavenger L-Tech 3.0 (on super sale on Amazon).

What a fun "flight-style" case!

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr327/perdendosi/CF1F4F0A-C66A-441A-84E0-A93B989060D0_zps9n7onqet.jpg

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr327/perdendosi/8B59792E-8C8E-42EE-8627-D303F707FD88_zpsybgpo7uh.jpg

I haven't put on the add-on stylus nibs yet, but I love that they're interchangeable.

Love the pen. It's pretty back-heavy posted, but very nice, and not too heavy, unposted. The knurled section feels pretty good (I was afraid it wouldn't), though I don't know if that'll be the case long-term.

It's really pretty, and not overly green as the Amazon pictures show. A unique color with a nice, modern statement.

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr327/perdendosi/3E656D4A-6AD6-43E9-8C80-27CCAF2EDCF1_zpsyyorozoc.jpg

I put in my first sample (after trying to follow the directions for washing and flushing and air drying last night -- how do you guys wait nearly a whole day to try out a new pen!) -- Diamine Oxblood. What a beautiful color.

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr327/perdendosi/440D1374-FDD4-43C6-ACFD-FD0F598B61BD_zpsh78xctwb.jpg

The nib is fine, but it leaves a pretty broad line. Very wet, at least for me so far. No scratching (very different from my fine Metro). Too wet? The ink feathers and almost bleeds through on my cheap Staples legal pad. (Sorry I don't have a better camera, or better lighting, but you just have to take my word for it.)

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr327/perdendosi/1E886310-FAF9-432D-844D-38224DA9DA11_zps5aw1xon7.jpg

And here is my two-pen collection (so far):

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr327/perdendosi/6CA3F16E-819A-4347-B4D5-18B031066144_zpsbjzsuvnt.jpg

This is a fun start to a small hobby. I like how the Leavenger writes more than my (potentially damaged) Metro, but the line is just too bold, with too much feathering and bleed through. I know this could be the ink, but people almost universally sing the praises of it.

I'm not ready to do much modding, but is there something I can do to restrict the flow a little in the Leavenger?

My TWBSI eco and Jinhao 301 and 599A are still on their way. I have to admit, this is fun!

Change the ink or learn to like the line as-is? Use it as your Unique Signature Pen?

Looks good from here.

Edited by Sailor Kenshin

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Change your paper. I've yet to find a legal pad that didn't just want to vacuum the ink right out of a nib. Like trying to write on a paper towel or something...

HP Premium 32 lb Laser paper is a good balance between cost per sheet and performance. A ream is less than 15 bucks. If you're feeling spendy, a Goulet paper sampler pack would be in order...the Rhodia pads were my favorite.

I agree with the guys who suggested an Esterbrook. Buy them restored, from a reputable seller. If you are looking for something more recent, the Sheaffer Targa is also a great pen. And if you like the style of the fifties, go for the Parker 51.

As for the ink choice, if you want something that will not let you down on even the worst sort of paper, I suggest ESSRI (Ecclesiastical Stationery Supplies Registrars' Ink). It has worked for me in many pens and never feathered or bled through on even the crappiest paper.

Good luck!

Change your paper. I've yet to find a legal pad that didn't just want to vacuum the ink right out of a nib. Like trying to write on a paper towel or something...

HP Premium 32 lb Laser paper is a good balance between cost per sheet and performance. A ream is less than 15 bucks. If you're feeling spendy, a Goulet paper sampler pack would be in order...the Rhodia pads were my favorite.

Thanks. I don't have a lot of choice in my paper buying, as I work for a government and we're given what we're given.

I guess it's just that I didn't have that problem with the Metro fine, and I expected that the Leavenger fine to be just a little less wet.

Live and learn, I guess, which is supposed to be the point of this experiment. :)

Thanks. I don't have a lot of choice in my paper buying, as I work for a government and we're given what we're given.

I guess it's just that I didn't have that problem with the Metro fine, and I expected that the Leavenger fine to be just a little less wet.

Live and learn, I guess, which is supposed to be the point of this experiment. :)

Ah, if that's the case, then I fully understand. Try Pelikan 4001 black. It is so bleed and feather resistant it's almost magical. I haven't tried the blue...

I am currently using a staples signa pad and it is pretty friendly. I left it at home yesterday so I grabbed a new staples pad from the cupboard and if there was any more feathering it would have looked like a pillow fight in a down factory.

I am sure that they were ordered because they were cheaper but dang!

I am currently using a staples signa pad and it is pretty friendly. I left it at home yesterday so I grabbed a new staples pad from the cupboard and if there was any more feathering it would have looked like a pillow fight in a down factory.

I am sure that they were ordered because they were cheaper but dang!

LMAO!! Also, I've had good luck with Noodler's Black not feathering.

I just don't use legal pads at work anymore. I use straight up 20 lb copy paper and both Pelikan 4001 Black and Noodler's Black perform great on it. Other inks bleed and feather terribly.

The Levenger looks great. I'm gonna have to go check that out. You said you weren't that interested in buying paper. I imagine your pen collection is going to grow. You should consider buying some nicer paper, for personal use.

I have $100. Which shoes would be comfortable for me ?

I think I will forego this opportunity to tell you what I like. You have been using the Pilot Metropolitan. What do you like about it ? What would you change about it ? Would you prefer it to be fatter ? Heavier ? Longer ? A different shape ?

"Gravitas" is hooey ! "Prestige" is phooey ! The senior contract negotiator, from IBM, took, from his brief case, two, round, BiC stick ballpoint pens. Writing a $50,000 check with your Pilot Metropolitan is plenty prestigious.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I have $100. Which shoes would be comfortable for me ?

I think I will forego this opportunity to tell you what I like. You have been using the Pilot Metropolitan. What do you like about it ? What would you change about it ? Would you prefer it to be fatter ? Heavier ? Longer ? A different shape ?

"Gravitas" is hooey ! "Prestige" is phooey ! The senior contract negotiator, from IBM, took, from his brief case, two, round, BiC stick ballpoint pens. Writing a $50,000 check with your Pilot Metropolitan is plenty prestigious.

Respectfully, I think your statements misconstrue my request and my intentions.

First, I never asked for any advice about what would be "comfortable" for me. My original request was: I'm using the Metro, but I want to "experiment a little ... and ... figure out what I like... I want to feel like I know what sort of pens suit my hands the best." I was asking for a few pens with variety so I could try out fatter, heavier, longer, different shaped instruments. (To be honest, I didn't know what I like or don't like about it, because I had very little frame of reference I did not say "I have $100.. what's comfortable?" I asked "I have a $100 and need to figure out what's comfortable. What would you suggest." Or, to use your metaphor, I did not say "I have $100 for shoes; which ones will be comfortable." I said, "I have $100 for shoes and currently own a pair of Steve Madden Wingtips; what other dress shoes do you think I should try to see if others fit my feet and style better."

I'm also disppointed that I apparently didn't communicate my thoughts about writing with the Metro. First, I never used the word "prestige." I said that I felt a certain gravitas when I was writing-- the pen made me feel better and made me feel like my writing was more than just scribbles. It had nothing to do with me trying to impress others. Nor am I under any delusions that you have to have a fancy pen to be important. Mark Zuckerberg wears grey t-shirts to the office; plenty of CEOs wear Casio watches. I'm not trying to be more important than I am by finding fountain pens that I like. It just makes writing better, and makes me think more about it.

I'm sorry if I sound curt, but I am a little mystified by your response. You have a high post count, and I assume you are a well respected member here. But as someone who frequents a forum for another hobby, and who realizes the frustration of regulars to the inane questions of those new to a hobby, I tried to tailor my questions to be specific, with sufficient background to show where I was coming from. If the purpose of your response was to get me to give additional information, I understand that desire and would have been happy to do so (though I've pretty much made my decisions as you can see from a couple of the posts above). If not, was your purpose to discourage me from asking a question? To get information about a new realm that I have very little knowledge of? To make me feel bad for asking for others' opinions? To make me request your opinion anyway, because you've withheld it to my inferior questions? To get me to leave?

Anyway, I've received the TWSBI Eco and the JinHao 599. My thoughts (and some pics) will be coming soon. Thanks to everyone who helped me with this early journey... I've even started talking fountain pens with a co-worker (who is a great artist and wants something for caligraphy)!