The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Books About Letters / Collections Of Letters

letters reading writing mail

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Teacher Man

Teacher Man

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2016 - 08:37

I have to confess I got bogged down in the collected letters of both John Steinbeck and Jane Austen, and so decided that maybe reading other people's letters was not for me. I tried it again with the letters of Robert Louis Stevenson, but again gave up after a while.

Then, in 2015, two books got me into reading other people's mail:

The first os Letters of Note, compiled by Shaun Usher. It is an eclectic collection, and it frequently contains reproductions of the actual letters. Most of the letters are very interesting, many beautiful, but my absolute favourite is a standard form letter from a Bureau of Etiquette in China, AD 856. "I was ready to sink into the earth with shame." Indeed. Wonderfull stuff.

The second one is Simon Garfield's To the Letter, an ode to (or obituary for) the letter, which covers the history of the letter from ancient Greece to now, the history of the postal system, various famous letter writers, and some letters from Chris Barker and Bessie Moore, who wrote to each other while he was stationed in North Africa during WWII, fell in love, carried on their romance by mail, and finally got married. (Garfield has since edited a collection of their letters, My Dear Bessie.)

I heartily recommend both books, and I plan to give collected letters another go. Maybe Kurt Vonnegut or Mark Twain will be the thing. We'll see.

Whose letters do you read?

Okay, I used to have the Letter Writers Alliance and The Snail Mail Exchange in here. Somehow, my browsers settings and the forum's settings work together to prevent that from being the case at the moment. Whenever I try to update my signature, the whole process breakls down. So. Whatever.

Sponsored Content

#2 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,003 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2016 - 18:52

This is kind of interesting. It comes out quarterly. And readers can contribute as well. It is sponsored by the University of Nottingham.

http://www.theletter...page/index.aspx

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

#3 Moominyak

Moominyak

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2016 - 21:40

I recommend 'For The Love Of Letters' by John O'Connell (as per my profile pic), I found it a pleasant read. Plenty of info on Amazon :) Not really a collection of letters as such though, so perhaps not what you're looking for.

Edited by Moominyak, 02 January 2016 - 21:57.

#4 PaperDarts

PaperDarts

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2016 - 16:07

I like to read collections of letters, and strongly recommend those of E.B. White, who wrote for the New Yorker magazine for many years, and Sylvia Townsend Warner, an English writer. Witty, intelligent, and wise. The STW letters may no longer be in print, but I think libraries still carry them - and second hand versions are available on the usual bookish websites.

I re-read Virginia Woolf's letters regularly, but I admit that you have to be a fan of hers to really enjoy them! 

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

#5 Stanley Howler

Stanley Howler

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2016 - 21:07

This is kind of interesting. It comes out quarterly. And readers can contribute as well. It is sponsored by the University of Nottingham.

http://www.theletter...page/index.aspx

Thanks for the link. An excellent read & have subscribed to their email list.

#6 aworldofsnailmail

aworldofsnailmail

Perhaps

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2016 - 22:35

I am still plodding through To The Letter, 2 years after receiving it as a Christmas present. I got to the section titled "Why Jane Austen's Letters Are So Dull".... 

I blog at http://correspondenc...blogspot.co.uk/ on correspondence and stamps and such. I also have a snailmail forum

Participating in InCoWriMo-2019.

Best wishes

Mia

#7 Stanley Howler

Stanley Howler

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:46

Hi Teacher Man,
I don't know whether there is an equivalent for die Deutsche Post, but the Royal Mail Postal Museum has some very interesting articles dealing with the history of the UK postal service and letters in general.
http://www.postalheritage.org.uk

#8 gary

gary

Kalamazoo direct to you

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 19:32

"In Lincoln's Hand" manuscript letters of Abraham Lincoln

"Letters of the Century". America 1900-1999

#9 Bookman

Bookman

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 23:40

I like Steinbeck: A Life in Letters because it stands in for his autobiography, and then here and there I get an insight into his creative process.  Rather than processed biography/autobiography, I'd rather have access to all the subject's uncensored correspondence and journal writings, just give to them to me, raw, and I'll make sense of it by myself.  As to letters as letters, I have copies of all the ones I've written since 1990, by hand or Microsoft Word.  When I want to read a terrific letter, I just read one of my own.

Edited by Bookman, 18 January 2016 - 05:22.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

#10 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 20:40

I like Steinbeck: A Life in Letters because it stands in for his autobiography, and then here and there I get an insight into his creative process.  Rather than processed biography/autobiography, I'd rather have access to all the subject's uncensored correspondence and journal writings, just give to them to me, raw, and I'll make sense of it by myself.  As to letters as letters, I have copies of all the ones I've written since 1990, by hand or Microsoft Word.  When I want to read a terrific letter, I just read one of my own.

I've just stumbled onto this thread. That's just droll, Bookman.

#11 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 20:42

Keat's letters were an inspiration to me in my university days. I don't read many anymore, but I haven't read Bookman's....  ;)

But the mention of letters by Vonnegut has me curious....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: letters, reading, writing, mail

Sponsored Content

|