Delta Serena, Titanium Plating Wearing Off Of Nib.

ISW_Kaputnik

Just wondering if anybody has seen this problem with Delta before.

I've had a Delta Serena for about a year, and like the way it writes, although it's not an absolute favorite. I've probably inked it about three times in that period. It's the only pen I have with a titanium plated steel nib.

The most recent time, I had filled it with Montblanc Midnight Blue. It was writing nicely, but I noticed an odd nib creep pattern, a strip right around the slit. After it was empty, I flushed it out, and discovered that the pattern I'd seen was plating worn off that part of the nib. See the two attached pictures. If you look closely at the second one, you can see that the plating also seems to end at the point where the nib enters the section. I don't know for sure if the wear was visible before I did my last fill. You'd think I would have seen it if it were already gone at that point, but I could have been distracted. Besides the Montblanc, I think the other inks I've used in this were Pilot Iroshizuku.

This just doesn't seem right for a pen that has seen relatively light use. I wrote to Yafa, and showed them the pictures. They responded that it would be a warranty issue, and sent me a form to fill out. I can mail it to a Yafa repair center in California. It will cost me $11.95 for their return shipping charge, plus whatever it costs me to mail it to them.

Although I'm kind of annoyed at having to pay anything beyond my own shipping costs, I think I'll do it just to see how they handle it. Of course, it might be another year with the new nib before any plating wear becomes visible. Before sending it in, though, I just thought I'd see if anyone here has had similar experiences with these pens, or with titanium plating on nibs.

post-79989-0-63992600-1451697432_thumb.jpg

post-79989-0-46004800-1451697467.jpg

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ISW_Kaputnik

• mikeliu

• rafapa

• Uncertainty

well assuming no one will be answering this anytime soon nib plating wearing off isnt that uncommon I mean there has been reports of the matte black nib from Sailor's Matte Black profit wears of

there's also the black coating from Monteverde flaking off as far as I know I have yet to see Lamy black nibs plating flaking off

Sailor even add a note saying that only Sailor inks are safe to use with the black nib. At least if what I can understand after google translate.

Thanks for the replies. I was just curious if anyone had experience with these particular nibs, but of course, there may not be that many owners of this model out there in FPN land.

Of course, I know that plating does wear off nibs given enough time; I've seen enough formerly gold plated vintage nibs to prove that point. I even got one brand new Kaigelu where the plating was already flaking off the nib out of the box. On the other hand, I wouldn't expect it to happen within a year and only a few fills on a somewhat more upscale brand. Manufacturers do sometimes claim that using the wrong ink will invalidate the warranty, and I can see that with some of Noodler's more dodgy offerings, but if Yafa tried to tell me that there was a problem with Montblanc and Pilot inks, I'd think they were just making excuses.

This was also my first experience with titanium as a nib plating metal, so wondered if that might make a difference.

I'm going to give Yafa a call on Monday just to clarify a couple of things before finally deciding whether to send this in to them. And now that I think of it, it may be worth writing to the vendor and asking if they have had other comments or complaints about these. I'll just have to make it clear that I'm pursuing the warranty issue with the maker, and not with them.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

• 1 month later...

I just bought a Serena largely because I love the look and feel of titanium. I saw an old article following up on an essay by Nathan Tardus:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/33753-neutral-ink-ph-really-a-good-thing/

They discuss the effects of acid in fountain pen ink and Montblanc Blue Black was one those with the highest level of acid. They discuss the affects of acid on different metals but at that time (2007) no one had data for its affect on titanium. I wonder if using Ph balanced ink would be better to use with the Serena?

I just bought a Serena largely because I love the look and feel of titanium. I saw an old article following up on an essay by Nathan Tardus:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/33753-neutral-ink-ph-really-a-good-thing/

They discuss the effects of acid in fountain pen ink and Montblanc Blue Black was one those with the highest level of acid. They discuss the affects of acid on different metals but at that time (2007) no one had data for its affect on titanium. I wonder if using Ph balanced ink would be better to use with the Serena?

And I thought this thread was dead. Just noticed your answer.

And it's a thought, certainly; thanks for the link. I've generally gone with the notion that if an ink is made by a pen maker (a major, reputable pen maker at least) it ought to be safe. "It ain't necessarily so?" Anyway, for now I suppose my next order of business is to joggle Yafa's elbow. I know they got the pen some time ago, but no word from them. Assuming I get the pen back, I can make a note to lay off the Montblanc ink, but if it won't take my Pilot or Sailor inks, then I'll know it isn't much of a plating job.

- Benjamin Franklin

• 2 weeks later...

I have experienced this with two different plated Delta nibs: a Serena like yours and also a Unica. The Serena's gunmetal plating began flaking off the front of the nib after only a few inkings, and the Unica's brushed gold plating began flaking off the back of the nib almost as soon as I got it. This was with various inks that have routinely proven safe for use in all of my other pens (Iroshizuku, Sailor Jentle, J. Herbin, Diamine).

Based on my conversation with Goulet Pens customer service this is a know issue with Delta's plated nibs. I never noticed any negative effect on writing performance but it definitely bugged the heck out of me. I doubt I will ever purchase a lower-end Delta pen again.

• 3 weeks later...

I have experienced this with two different plated Delta nibs: a Serena like yours and also a Unica. The Serena's gunmetal plating began flaking off the front of the nib after only a few inkings, and the Unica's brushed gold plating began flaking off the back of the nib almost as soon as I got it. This was with various inks that have routinely proven safe for use in all of my other pens (Iroshizuku, Sailor Jentle, J. Herbin, Diamine).

Based on my conversation with Goulet Pens customer service this is a know issue with Delta's plated nibs. I never noticed any negative effect on writing performance but it definitely bugged the heck out of me. I doubt I will ever purchase a lower-end Delta pen again.

I did get get the Serena back, and it's looking okay for now. I took it along on a just completed trip (since it arrived the day before I left) and used up the cartridge that I put in it, Montblanc Royal Blue. Not one of my favorite inks, but I just can't believe that it should be a problem for any well made pen. After flushing it, I looked at the nib carefully with a loupe, and it hasn't lost any plating yet. It wrote just a little dryer than the previous nib, but I'll try to fix that with a different ink the next time, Sailor Jentle or Pilot Iroshizuku most likely. It was several fillings over the course of a year before I noticed plating loss last time, and this is a pen that will probably go at least a month, maybe more between inkings, so it may be a while before the problem has a chance to show itself again. I'd like to think, though, that it will be better this time.

Anyway, no offense to the focus of this forum, but any additional pens I get will most likely be vintage American or modern Japanese. :)

- Benjamin Franklin

I can't understand why you had to pay Yafa's return shipping to you when it's a warranty repair - so they're saying ok, it's a warrantied fault, we'll fix it but we're not willing to pay to send it back to you?

If so, I can understand your annoyance - encourages me to look elsewhere.

• 4 months later...

Mine has actually worn off considerably. I don't use it as much as my other pens, and it has been less than a year. It's pretty saddening/frustrating.

post-92789-0-18228700-1469875204_thumb.jpg

post-92789-0-71996100-1469875211_thumb.jpg

I've had similar plating loss with Delta's nibs and clips. While their pens are often made from beautiful materials, the quality of their metal bits has always pushed me away from their pens. Regardless, I've never had a problem with the writing quality of their pens.

--dsolmei

Mine has actually worn off considerably. I don't use it as much as my other pens, and it has been less than a year. It's pretty saddening/frustrating.

That looks pretty discouraging. Is that actually rust on the nib, or just stains from a reddish brown ink?

I haven't taken my repaired one out recently. Lots of things going on and lots of other pens I want to use. But once I get down to three inked pens or so I'll have to pull out the Serena again and hope the nib is a "good one" this time.

- Benjamin Franklin

I had a similar issue with ruthenium plating flaking off of a StarWalker Extreme nib after about a week of use. I guess Delta's having plating adhesion problems too. Kind of makes me want to stay away from dark plated pens.

12715508_10209034254237164_4695396148339

That looks pretty discouraging. Is that actually rust on the nib, or just stains from a reddish brown ink?

I haven't taken my repaired one out recently. Lots of things going on and lots of other pens I want to use. But once I get down to three inked pens or so I'll have to pull out the Serena again and hope the nib is a "good one" this time.

Yeah, I'm sure it's the plating that's wearing off, because I've run the nib under water several times, and the wear is still there. The nib writes just fine though. Maybe it's the ink I'm using? I've only used Private Reserve Electric DC Blue with this pen.

Wow, I would be upset if that were my nib. I think I should be allowed to use whatever ink I want in my pens including BSB. Sorry to see this.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 7 months later...

The plating on my Delta Unica nib began flaking off less than a week after I got it. Inks used: DA Aubergine and J. Herbin Poussiere de Lune. I will be sending it back, not because of the nib, but because the section just came right off. I guess the glue disintegrated or something.

I've had a Serena for a while and rarely used it, as I am really not crazy about how it writes. But I did pull it out a couple of days ago and the titanium plating was worn off in the vicinity of the tipping and heading back to the vent hole. I've used safe inks in the pen, mostly Waterman blues. I don't think the ink ate away at the plating. I think it just isn't very well plated. I don't care all that much. I just need to send the pen to a nibmeister to see if someone can get it to be a better writer.