Italix Captain's Commission.

Lee Wright

First of all I would like to apologize if I have done anything wrong, this is my first review. I could not find too many reviews of this pen online so I thought I should share my experience with everyone.

My wife recently gifted me a new pen that she knew I had been interested in for quite some time. An Italix Captain's Commission with an extra broad cursive stub nib.

I have only had this pen a few days but I am already very fond of it, so here are my first impressions:

Quality:

The pen feels very well build and feels like it is made to last. Nothing seems loose and everything seems to line up perfectly. The cap is a screw on cap that takes 3 turns to remove it from the body. The clip is springy and quite firm, not too firm, just right in my opinion. The pen does carry some weight to it and really feels solid.

Appearance:

Visually the pen is very appealing, there is a deep shine to the black lacquer. There is a lot of chrome on this pen and it all seems to be very well polished. The cap is seriously big, and while I think it looks great I can see how some people might think it is too much. I think the pen looks best posted however it for me becomes too top heavy when posted.

Nib:

As I understand it Peter Ford (the owner of the Italix brand) grinds all the italic nibs himself. I am a fan of broader nibs, so I opted for the extra broad cursive stub nib... go broad or go home. :) Opting for the cursive nib (with round corners) does limit the line variation, but does make for a super smooth and really excellent writing experience. The nib is very well tuned I have had no problems with hard starts or skipping. I believe the nib is a number 6 nib, although I have not tried to fit a different nib in the pen. It is wring so nicely I would be to afraid to ruin anything! I can 100% recommend this nib to anyone, it is fantastic.

Filling system:

It is a cartridge converter filler, so nothing much to tell here, other than it works fine. As this pen is all metal I would not use it as an eye dropper.

Feel in the hand:

This pen is on the heaver side, I think it is made with brass. It is not too heavy to use at all, but if you like lighter pens this probably won't be for you. Unposted I think the balance is perfect and I find it very comfortable to use. The section is a good size and despite being lacquer I don't find my fingers slipping as I hold the pen. The threads are not sharp so I don't think that would be a problem for most people. However posted the cap for me is just too heavy and I can't really use it comfortably. That said I don't usually post my pens and the pen is a good size with out being posted.

Here is the size information provided on mrpen.co.uk:

• Weighs 50g
  • 14.5 cms long with cap on.
  • 1.3 cms at its widest point.

Cost:

Including shipping the pen costs just over £55, I think that price is fair. I am sometimes reluctant to spend much more than this on a C/C Pen, but for the price you will get an excellent nib, a lot of pen, that looks and feels great.

Overall:

Overall I am very happy with this pen, for me it is perfect, I would not change one thing about it. It is going into my daily rotation and I am sure it will be there for a very long time. Thank you for reading my review, here is some eye candy below:

cnSfNBs.jpg

t3Pm8En.jpgDaGAn6F.jpg

XZZ2gIi.jpg

WAws1i7.jpg

AtboaPK.jpg

Edited by Lee Wright

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ian the Jock

• Erik Dalton

• lurcho

• Fairlight

Great review and a very nice looking pen! I've never heard of Italix, but I'm going to their website immediately after typing this post. Enjoy your wonderful new pen in good health!

Todd :happycloud9:

It's a good one. I've kept a burgundy with a broad italic nib inked up since I got it in February. Like you said, it's a well made pen. A fair amount of its advertised weight is in the cap, so fortunately you can offload some of it by simply not posting. Compliments to Mr. Ford for a great pen. Glad you're happy with yours.

It's a good one. I've kept a burgundy with a broad italic nib inked up since I got it in February. Like you said, it's a well made pen. A fair amount of its advertised weight is in the cap, so fortunately you can offload some of it by simply not posting. Compliments to Mr. Ford for a great pen. Glad you're happy with yours.

Yes I completely agree, the cap does carry a lot of the weight, sorry if I did not make that clear in the review. When the pen is not posted I find it very well balanced and very comfortable to use, I certainty don't find it too heavy.

I am glad you are happy with yours too!

Lee, a really excellent review. Like you I love BB nibs, or B at least.I have not had much luck with italics or stubs, as most have no tipping, and I find them scratchy and hard to use, but your review might just change my mind.

Lee, a really excellent review. Like you I love BB nibs, or B at least.I have not had much luck with italics or stubs, as most have no tipping, and I find them scratchy and hard to use, but your review might just change my mind.

Thank you Brian, a BB is my preferred nib choice, with this nib I find at its widest point it writes like a BB nib, and the thinnest line is maybe a medium. So generally the writing is not as broad as a standard double broad nib however it is just as smooth. Make sure that if you go for one you get a cursive stub nib (with the corners rounded off). I have one other pen with which is a traditional italic nib (sharp edges) again double broad and the writing experience is very different. Like you I found it scratchy and hard to use. The nib on this Italix pen is very smooth and forgiving, definitely can recommend.

Excellent review, Lee. I own 3 Italix pens...Parson's Essentials...and I can honestly say that these pens are the best writers I own...straight out of box. I also prefer B, BB and B Cursive Stub nibs. Mr Ford does an awesome job of grinding his specialty nibs. I've never had problems with hard starts, skipping or scratchiness on any of my Italix pens. Highly recommend.

I am fascinated by this pen, of all the Italix designs. I really appreciate the review.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

I too recently received this pen, however I opted for the medium italic nib and I can assure all that this nib is just as smooth and beautiful to write with as the broad cursive italic stub I have on my Churchmans Prescriptor.

I was a wee bit apprehensive about getting an italic as I have little experience of italic nibs and had the same concerns as others do.

I need not have concerned myself as it is sublime.

Mr Ford certainly knows how to produce fabulous nibs.

There is a writing sample with the italic nib in the "it's torture I tell thee" thread on the GB and Europe forum.

This is a brilliant pen and whichever nib you choose will only re-enforce its' brilliance.

Ian

• 1 year later...

Nice pen - I have the Parson's Essential (in Fine nib) and was thinking "Thats it I have a great pen now" - then I spoke to Peter (MrPen) and he was telling me he writes with a Captain's Commission and of course I had to look and google etc etc

I like the look of the CC in terms of size etc but I'm not so sure of the "shine-e-ness" of the cap and mid ring ???

If Peter is ever on here I wonder if an all black version would ever be on the cards ? limited edition ? black chromed cap and mid ring - would look super I think !!

Why cant I be happy with what I have !!!

Eric.

• 1 month later...

I too recently received this pen, however I opted for the medium italic nib and I can assure all that this nib is just as smooth and beautiful to write with as the broad cursive italic stub I have on my Churchmans Prescriptor.

I was a wee bit apprehensive about getting an italic as I have little experience of italic nibs and had the same concerns as others do.

I need not have concerned myself as it is sublime.

Mr Ford certainly knows how to produce fabulous nibs.

There is a writing sample with the italic nib in the "it's torture I tell thee" thread on the GB and Europe forum.

This is a brilliant pen and whichever nib you choose will only re-enforce its' brilliance.

Ian

Hallo Ian. I have just ordered a burgundy Captain's Colostomy medium italic on the strength of your reassurance. Thanks for the nudge into the light. Your smashing pictures in "It's torture I tell thee" helped too.

It will come tomorrow. I enjoy the anticipation.

Fairlight.

Hallo Ian. I have just ordered a burgundy Captain's Colostomy medium italic on the strength of your reassurance. Thanks for the nudge into the light. Your smashing pictures in "It's torture I tell thee" helped too.

Fairlight.

Ouch. I hope that's a typo or the writing is going to be messy. :lticaptd:

Fairlight.

I think you will enjoy the pen more than the anticipation ;)

When you open the box it's an imposing looking piece of work.

I have since got me a burgundy as well, but with a fine italic nib, and it's as smooth as the medium.

I love them both....brilliant pens.

ENJOY

Ian

Nice job Ian. Thank you. I have one as well. It's one of my favorite writers.

Me too, the fine italic is perfect for my slopey down from the left handwriting.

Ian

Ouch. I hope that's a typo or the writing is going to be messy. :lticaptd:

I resemble that remark. A well-fitted colostomy bag produces very little seepage or spray. Unless you're involved in Brazilian Jiu-jitsu. At that point, all bets are off. A leaky fountain pen is child's-play by comparison.

I think you will enjoy the pen more than the anticipation ;)

When you open the box it's an imposing looking piece of work.

I have since got me a burgundy as well, but with a fine italic nib, and it's as smooth as the medium.

I love them both....brilliant pens.

ENJOY

Ian

Hallo Ian.

It is a smasher. Hats off to Mr. Ford.

There really is nothing like it.

Now I've tried it I wonder if a fine italic would suit me better. I'm after clarity, sharpness, and some line variation.

The variation doesn't need to be great, just a hint would do, but I wish to avoid muddiness.

How is your fine italic nib?

Ouch. I hope that's a typo or the writing is going to be messy.

There are times sir, when my writing is apalling.

Imagine the ink capacity of one of those puppies though.

I resemble that remark. A well-fitted colostomy bag produces very little seepage or spray. Unless you're involved in Brazilian Jiu-jitsu. At that point, all bets are off. A leaky fountain pen is child's-play by comparison.

It would take a very gutsy man to attempt Jiu-jitsu when "plumbed in". That could be a new discipline.