New Wahl-Eversharp Decoband And Small Hands

Susan3141

I've read the few reviews written about the new Wahl-Eversharp Decoband with the superflex nib, but I haven't seen a review by a woman (or someone with small hands). I know this is an oversize pen, and it weighs 45 grams uncapped. I'm interested in hearing from someone who owns the pen and has small hands. How does the pen feel? Can you write for long periods without fatigue? Does it seem just too big? Unfortunately, I'm too far from civilization to attend one of the big pen pen shows (and I wasn't able to go to the Dallas show this year).

Thanks.

Susan

I can't stop buying pens and it scares me.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FOUR X FOUR

• Susan3141

• zaddick

• rpsyed

Susan,

The pen is not only oversize in length, but wider than most oversize pens I've had. Wider than a 149 or Churchill, etc. it's the combination of length and width that make this feel like a ginormous pen.

So, unless you really like holding a little baseball bat, I'd be hesitant about getting this pen in your situation.

Hope this helps.

Mark

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

I agree with Mark. If you can forgive the use of "quick and dirty" phone pictures, the following two photos show the pen compared to two other pens usually considered to be large: a Pelikan M800 and a Delta Dolce Vita mid-size.

Despite its size, the DecoBand is light and extremely well balanced. I don't find it tiring in my average sized hands, but if your hands are small I fear it could prove to be an expensive mistake. I hope the pictures help.

http://www.fototime.com/%7B09F9C2DD-CE6B-4D5E-8C31-3E1E0162E29B%7D/origpict/IMG_0352.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/%7BD218D9A0-B33F-41DF-896D-6AE8E1058CA8%7D/origpict/IMG_0353.JPG

Good God, it's gigantic. The grip looks fairly comparable, at least in the photos, to the other pens' grips, but that may be due to shadows.

Good God, it's gigantic. The grip looks fairly comparable, at least in the photos, to the other pens' grips, but that may be due to shadows.

Trying one with fewer shadows

http://www.fototime.com/%7B3E796723-DA74-4658-BCC3-973CE554FCC9%7D/origpict/IMG_0354.JPG

Sheesh. The M800 looks absolutely puny next to the Decoband. Thanks so much for the photos. I think it would be too big. Sigh. I love the design and that superflex nib looks amazing.

The pens are gorgeous. The Wahl-Eversharp is gigantic alright. I tend to like a big pen. But I think even with my ex-large women's hands, it might be too big. I would not buy it unless I could hold one, and see for myself. I have no idea how much these are, but I imagine they would be pricey. You have a lovely trio there though!!

They cost $850.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/vb4_style/smilies/eek_yello.gif Oh my. That is way way wayyyyy out of my league!!!

Many thanks for the photos. I was hankering for this one, and now I see I need to worry about more than the price! I think the pen is beautiful, but it really is very large, so I suspect it won't fit my hands. I'll have to see it in a show sometime, I guess, or admire from a distance.

• 1 month later...

I've read the few reviews written about the new Wahl-Eversharp Decoband with the superflex nib, but I haven't seen a review by a woman (or someone with small hands). I know this is an oversize pen, and it weighs 45 grams uncapped. I'm interested in hearing from someone who owns the pen and has small hands. How does the pen feel? Can you write for long periods without fatigue? Does it seem just too big? Unfortunately, I'm too far from civilization to attend one of the big pen pen shows (and I wasn't able to go to the Dallas show this year).

Thanks.

Susan

It's big but 45g uncapped isn't unduly heavy for such a pen. I once owned a Conway Stewart Evolution oversized pen in sterling silver that weighed 114g capped.

Edited by Tancred

• 2 months later...

Inside the pen, is the ink stored in some sort of converter, rubber sac or something entirely different?

Thanx😀😀😀

Inside the pen, is the ink stored in some sort of converter, rubber sac or something entirely different?

Thanx

It's a pneumatic filler, like the ones on vintage Chiltons and that Edison uses as an upgraded filling system, so it uses a sac. The Pen Habit has a really thorough review, if your interested. There's also a really great review on this forum here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/301219-oversize-wahl-eversharp-decoband-with-14k-superflex-nib/

That nib is really awesome. I'd love to see one in person.

Edited by rpsyed

The sac is latex. I confirmed with Syd just after I wrote the review.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

yeah, I saw that in the comments afterward and edited my post to take the misinformation out.

Thanx Zaddick.

We experimented with Vinyl and Silicone before settling back in on Latex. Silicone was too flimsy and pliable and Vinyl was not considered reliable enough. Latex has the right wall strength to pull the 2ml of ink into the pen in rapid order. And the construction of the pen allows rapid sac replacement if and when necessary.

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

Does the way the pen made, make it impractical to use plastic as the ink chamber?

I'm gonna wind up buying your awesome pen, anyway. I'm just not crazy about rubber / latex.